To Those Who Want To Shine Being Themselves

To Those Who Want To Shine Being Themselves

A Poem by Essa G

To those who want to shine being themselves,

It's not about what others think about you. It's not about the clothes they wear or the things they do or talk about. It's about what you like to wear and what you like do. It's okay if you don't fit in. I've been to six different schools and I've certainly never fit in.
And honestly, it's better if you don't fit in. It's better to be yourself than to change who you are just because you don't want to be left out. If someone doesn't like the way you dress, the sports you play, if you play any, or the things you like to talk about, then that's their problem. If they don't like the way you are, then that's okay. 
So what if you're not as athletic as others? So what if you don't always get an A? Everyone has their strong points. Everyone is good at something. Everyone has a passion, even though some haven't found theirs yet. My passion is singing. It's okay that you don't share the same likes and dislikes as other people. Because there aren't always going to be people you get along with. Not everyone can be friends.
Some people you call friends might end up not being your friends at all. If you really want to be friends with someone, if you’re desperate, that’s because you don’t want to be the outcast. But being the outcast can be a good thing. You may be thinking, What is this person talking about? Being an outcast means you have the courage to be different. That you’re strong enough on your own. That you don’t need other people’s approval to be good enough. Because you are.
If you feel left out, you shouldn’t think that you’re not good enough. Ever felt like the third wheel? I certainly have. Multiple times. And I know how it feels. It's not fun. But you know what? It's not you're fault if you feel left out. It's theirs. If they don't care about how you feel, you probably shouldn't be talking or hanging out with them. 
You should be hanging out with people who really do care, who make you feel like you're not alone in this world. Be with the people who make you feel cared for and loved. Be with who like you for who you truly are. Surround yourself with the people who don’t care about what your status is, how much money you have, how big your house is.
You deserve to be loved. You deserve to get a round of applause for being yourself. You deserve to have friends who like you for who you are. Even if you haven't really been the nicest person lately. Everyone’s had their moments they’re not proud of. I have them. You have them.
You make mistakes. I make mistakes. The entire human race make mistakes. Every species in the universe makes mistakes. We can't help it. But we can choose to learn from those mistakes.
We can try our best or we can have not a care in the world. We don't have to be perfect or make the team or get under nine minutes on our mile in gym class. We can achieve so much more if we chase after what we really want to be. Make our dreams become reality. Do what we want to do, become what we want to become.
All that matters is what you think. Don't try to be someone you're not. Don't try to live up to someone else's expectations. All you have to do is be proud and have confidence in yourself. Believe you can do anything. Be confident. Be optimistic. Have hope.
Reach beyond the stars. Do what you love to do, love who you want to love. Don't be embarrassed about your past or someone you know. Only others can make you feel embarrassed. And most of the time, no one cares if you're humiliated or not. So if people think what they want, what point is there in being embarrassed?
Have faith in yourself. Don’t let anyone do something for you. Don’t let people believe you can’t do something. Because you can. Stand up for yourself. Some of us don't have the courage to confront our fears. But that's okay. Bravery is something that comes when you're happy with who you are. When you’re proud of yourself.
When you're not happy, do things that make you feel like there's no one else in the world but you. Like time stopped just for you, so that you can do what you want. Do the things that make you forget about who others want you to be or expect you to be. All you have to do is just go for it. Sing, dance, play tennis, act, play guitar, play a video game, study the stars. Whatever you love to do, do it.
Be loyal to the people who deserve your loyalty. Stand beside the ones who need that extra boost to stand up for themselves. Stand together. Confront your fears. Jump over your obstacles the way you want to. Run at the pace you want to run. If you want to walk, then walk. If you want to crawl, feel free to crawl. But don’t be afraid to go at your own pace. Everyone is different.
Say hello to the people who say hello back. Say goodbye to the people who don’t even try to say hello because they think they’re better than you. The truth is, they’re not better than you. Everyone is equal. We’re all just as good as everyone else is. As long as you stay true to who you are, you are amazing. You are incredible. Don’t be afraid to be the person that you truly are. Be unique.
No one can stop you from being yourself. They may think they can, but they can't. That's your decision and your decision only. No one can hurt you with their words.
Don’t let someone control you. Don’t let yourself be treated like a bag of dirt. Don’t be afraid to do the right thing. You can be strong. You can be great. You can be amazing. Don't underestimate your abilities. Don’t give up. You have the power to do anything you want if you put your mind to it. As long as you believe in yourself, you have endless possibilities in what you're able to do.
Be yourself and everyone will be themselves, too. Encourage others to state their opinions. Inspire. Amaze. Create. Learn. Love. Live your life the way you want to live it. And most importantly, be you.

© 2013 Essa G


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aerosmith ask something very near, but it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsUUr22n8N4 love the wording.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Essa G

10 Years Ago

Thanks, always good to hear a nice comment :)
hey essa, good solid life advice!!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2013
Last Updated on October 2, 2013

Author

Essa G
Essa G

Fairfield, CT



About
I love to sing and baking, but singing the most. Writing is more of a hobby for me. I've written a novel called 'Silver' and I'm in the process of writing the sequel, which is called Prophetess. I hop.. more..

Writing
Your Voice Your Voice

A Poem by Essa G