Rite on Site (You've got mail)  A different kind of Collab...

Rite on Site (You've got mail) A different kind of Collab...

A Story by shallimarRose
"

Thank You Ron...

"




A friend of mine (Ron) had this idea for awhile now but didn't have anyone to collaborate with.  After he saw my collab with Jack he contacted me asking if I was interested.    When he explained his unique idea I jumped at the chance to work with him on this poignant collaboration of thoughts.  These days so many meet just like this.   Now s
ome of the things your are about to read may be true others are not  so you will just have to try and figure out  which is which, lol.  I wanted to list this under dialogue but there is no such category so for now its under Poetry...  Let us know what you think.  





Right On Site... You've Got Mail 2000



Scene ....Mailbox #36 has been alone for several years. She does not believe in internet dating but allows her friend to convince her to join a dating site... Still very skeptical ...then ...Suddenly....  "You've got mail!"





You've got mail:


Message from mailbox #36

July 8, 2000


Dear Mailbox #47

I received your request.

In answer to your questions

I am single yes, divorced

37 years old as stated

measurements 36, 27, 36

One prior marriage

5 ft 4, 125 pounds

brunette, golden/brown eyes


You?


Thank you for your interest. Mailbox #36


******


You've got mail:


message from mailbox #47

July 9, 2000


Dear mailbox #36. Thank you for responding so soon. I am 6 ft 180 lbs red hair, lots of freckles,green/steel blue eyes (depending on my mood). I am single also divorced, 38 years old.

I like most kinds of music (depending on my mood). Mostly Celtic, some country, Rock, Blues, Jazz.
I also love to paint, write poetry, and make Honey Wine.
I enjoy quiet places, the mountains, and the beach (when its not too cold).
I was wondering if you like some of the same things 
P.S. I love to cook.


hoping to hear back soon

mailbox #47


******


You've got mail:


Message from mailbox #36

July 9, 2000


Hi, it's me mailbox 36. I was happy to hear back from you . My name is Darlene Rhodes but my friends call me Dusty. Honey wine sound delicious I don't believe I have ever tasted that.

I also love all genres of music. I love country, classic rock and jazz. It looks like we have some things in common. I also write poetry. I like photography, draw a little and have painted only a hand full of pictures. I enjoy camping, fishing, long walks on the beach and quiet moments especially. I also love walking in the early morning and in early Autumn rain. So , you love to cook? I admire that in a man.

I have to go but I'll be awaiting your next message.

Dusty (#36)


******


You've got mail:


Message from mailbox #47

July 9, 2000

I also enjoy camping and fishing.
Sunsets are my favorite time of the day.
I am shy at first but I can open up with the right person.
I enjoy making the person I am with as happy as I can. I tend to consider the other person's happiness before my own.

Hoping to hear back soon

Ron (#47)



*****


you've got mail


message from mailbox # 36

July 11th, 2000


Hello Ron, So pleased to meet you. When I didn't hear from you yesterday I wondered if you would write back. Yes sunsets and sunrise my favorite times of the day. Funny you should mention being shy.. I am exactly the same way.. I am very shy and quiet at first, then my nerves kick in and I can't shut up. Lol I love that you say you put the other person first, that's how it should be.. My ex was all about himself, its a wonder we lasted as long as we did. I have two children.. a son and daughter. Allen and Angel Rose. Do you have any children?

I feel very comfortable talking to you so far.


Looking forward to knowing more. Dusty (# 36)



You've got mail:


message from mailbox# 47

July 11th, 2000



I'm sorry I did not write you yesterday. I had internet problems. I am the same way with being shy. I could not enjoy myself knowing the other person was not happy or fulfilled in what we are doing before I am. MY ex seems to be the same as yours lol. I have one daughter with my ex her name is Heaven. In truth I am still a bit nervous, but I feel comfortable in talking with you more so than most people I talk with.

I find my self wishing we could talk more every time. Ron (#47)





You've got mail:


message from mailbox #36

July 12th, 2000


Heaven is a beautiful name. I find myself looking for your emails at least a dozen times a day. Yes me too Ron, I want to talk more and more with you. This past week I feel like I am floating on a cloud. I have not met anyone in a long time that I felt a connection with. We have so much in common and I really like the picture you sent. I hope you liked the ones I sent to you here.  Looking forward to hearing from you again..


Dusty (#36)






You've got mail:


message from mailbox #47

July 16th, 2000

I am sorry it was a few days before answering your last message. In truth I was scared.
Thank you, I love her name and her so much.
I find myself wanting to talk more and more. I would love to just sit and talk for days on end. I have not felt this way in so long. I must confess that it scares me sometimes. I have been hurt very badly. I'm sorry if I seem standoffish from the start. It's just the memories of pain. With you I feel like I can take a chance. 
I am so very happy you liked the pictures I sent you. And yes I loved the ones you sent me, I keep them close and they make me feel alive. I can't explain it.
I promise I will respond quicker to your messages.

I am looking forward to your next messages. Ron (#47)





You've got mail:

Message from mailbox # 36

July 17th 2000


Hello again Ron, hope all is well there. When I got home this evening I had three messages in my box from "Right on Site" Yours and two others. I deleted the other two without even opening them. I am too anxious to get to know you better so I am in no need to meet anyone else at this time..


Your words made me feel very good Ron, thank you.. I too am once bitten twice shy. Caution is my middle name lol... It was actually a friends idea to set me up on Right on Site. I fought her tooth and nail but now I am glad she persuaded me. I never really believed I could find someone I had anything in common with on a silly site, but here you are. By the way.. I wanted to ask.. Do you have any tattoos? I have one, a long stemmed rose.


It's late and I have to get some sleep. Good night Ron.


I will be thinking of you.

Dusty (#36)





You've got mail:

Message from mailbox #47

July 17th 2000



I too fought the idea of finding anyone, let alone on some internet site. But you have changed that idea and have given me hope that maybe there is someone out there for me. I have had a few messages besides yours but they all sounded like some mass message that is sent out to everyone. You are the only one who has wanted to get to know me. I should go now before I put my foot in my mouth to far...lol. Have a good night Dusty and sleep tight.

P.S. I do have a tattoo, but I will leave that for later.

I too will be thinking of you Dusty


Ron (#47)




You've got mail:


message from mailbox #36

July 18, 2000


Hi, I was in such a hurry to get home and check my messages that I got a speeding ticket.

I can't believe it's been only one week today since we met. I feel like I have known you forever.

So you will save the tattoo stories for later huh? Hmmm lol Do you have any special plans for the coming weekend? I think me and my son may be going fishing. Angel is at her cousins.. How old is Heaven? Hey I just realized our daughters names.. Heaven and Angel? What are the odds lol


By the way, I remember you said you are 6 ft 180 pounds.. That sounds like a good weight for your height. Do you work out? I don't go to the gym much but have some equipment at the house and I love brisk walks in the early mornings. They get my blood pumping.

Well I have to get off here I'm having company in the morning but here is a list of questions..lol


Smoker or non smoker? (I cannot believer I have not asked that all week lol)

Favorite food?

Favorite color?

Favorite beverage (non-alcoholic)

favorite mixed drink


my answers :

non-smoker

seafood

any blue but especially turquoise

sweet tea

pina coloda


You have a great night Ron. Hope to hear from you soon..Dusty


******


You've got mail:

Message from mailbox #47

July 18th 2000


I am sorry you got a speeding ticket I feel like it was my fault, let me know how much it is and I will pay for it.

I too feel like I have known you forever, (blushing now sorry) but it seems like it has not been only a few days, well it seems like an eternity between your messages.

The um tattoo...its kind of in an area that no one sees...oh my god I can't believe I told you about it.


I don't go out much as I do not have anymore in my life. Normally I stay at home, as there is little in my life I have felt like doing for a long time. But since we have been messaging each other I feel like there is life out there. But no I do not have any plans for this weekend.

Heaven will be 18 this year. 

That is odd about our daughters names lol. I think it's very cute.

I use to be more active but I have not felt like it in a very long time (not until we started messaging), I think I will take a long walk this evening and picture you as the sun sets. 


I use to smoke but have been smoke free for about 5 years now.

I love BBQ, seafood, and I have been known to try something just   because someone said I should try it...lol.

Reds and blues (how odd we like the same color also).

Coffee.

A good whiskey or bourbon from time to time and yes I like Pina Coloda's to.


I hope all goes well with your company.


My your day is as happy and fulfilled as your messages to me have made me...Ron :).


******


You've got mail:

Message from mailbox #47

July 19th 2000


I tried to leave for my walk last night, but I was so afraid I would miss your message. You seem to have trapped my heart to some degree.


I dream of your messages even in my waking days, your words come to me in dreams of shadow's eyes. They call to me and draw from me my very breath. 

They have rekindled what I tried to bury long ago.


Rom (#47).


******


You've got mail:


Mail from mailbox #36
July 19th, 2000


Awww, Ron, I's sorry I didn't answer you back last night. I think I had mentioned I was tired and expecting company.  NO absolutely your are NOT paying this ticket.  It was my own foot on the gas peddle lol.   Besides I think i can just take a class and they will drop it off my record.  I was just thinking about your daughters name still.  Did you ever discuss with your ex the thought of naming a second child (a boy) Earth? LOL sorry..

humm.... about that tattoo,, 'giggles'. Thanks for telling me. 
Mine is actually on the left front breast and the long stem going up over the shoulder.  I was going to have Allen and Angel written there but never did get it finished.  Allen is 22 (I married young) and Angel almost 21.  both out on their own.   You never mentioned if you had part time custody?  You did mention you were alone and had nothing to do on weekends so I guess that is a no?? Is Heaven a redhead also?

So many things I want to tell you, so many things I want to ask .  Yet, when I sit down to write my mind is blank.  let's see, were you good in school? Did you go to college?  if so what were/are your majors and minors?  Do you play any kind of musical instrument?  I write songs and have been singing my entire life. After my ex and I split I didn't sing in clubs anymore. He was the one that could play the guitar and so I would write and we would get gigs. When he left I had no music and two small kids.  Sorry I did not mean to go there. We don't have to talk about heavy stuff. at least not yet.

I had a long day so going to have to get things going around here,  So nice to hear from you each time. Each time I hate to say good night.   xoxo Dusty

******

You've got mail:

Mail from mailbox #36
July 21st,  2000

Hi Ron,  Didn't hear from you over the weekend. Is everything alright?  I did go fishing but all I caught was a cold so I am staying in today.  Hope you are ok. Dusty

******

You've got mail:

Mail from mailbox #47
July 19th, 2000

I won't hear of it I insist on paying for the ticket. No we never discussed having any more children.

My tattoo is of a moon shining on a lake with the outline of a woman waiting. I got it after I found myself alone for some years. I think of who she would be. I know it seems silly...I can't believe I am telling you about it.  Yes I do but it seems like an eternity between visits.

I feel the same way, so many questions. My mind goes blank to Dusty
. I went to college I was an art major. I played the coronet in high school. I was not a great student but I was not too bad.

I find myself not wanting to go. It feels as if I send this you will just be a memory of my past or a dream I will never be able to visit again. Saying good night will be the hardest thing for me to do. But I know it must be done.
Good night dear sweet Dusty
, may you dream of me tonight and every night.

XOXO...Ron.

******

You've got mail:

Mail from mailbox #47
July 24th, 2000

I must apologize for not responding for a few days Dusty. I have had little sleep  thinking about you. I want to take this to the next level if you will allow me. I find it hard waiting for your messages and...um please don't think me pushy for asking but you are always on my mind and I would like to talk with you more than just messages. I know that both of us have been hurt in the past and I would never want you to feel as though I was pushing you into something you are not ready for. If you don't want to I will understand and be grateful for any messages you send me.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your cold Dusty.  Please take care of yourself, I would like to meet you someday...sorry I don't mean to sound pushy, if you wanted to of course.
I stayed in this weekend, trying to stay busy. I cut some fresh flowers from the garden and opened the curtains and windows...they have not been opened in so long. Not sure why I did that but it feels like a fresh new home now.

P.S. Um, just a thought but I was wondering if we could talk in the chat room. (Blushing).
I find myself in knots waiting to hear from you between messages.

******

You've got mail:

mail from mailbox #36
July 24th, 2000


Hello;  I am feeling a lot better today, thank you Ron.   I'm sorry you are conflicted about moving forward but I certainly understand your taking a few days to think it through. Phew, I thought maybe I did something to offend you or that you just changed your mind.
As far as chatting in a chat room I have not done that much. I would consider it but give me a day or so ok.  I am not feeling pushed at all. I just want my mind to be clear because clearly we have a connection.   I  can't use Rite On Site my account expires at midnight tonight and well since I'm already talking to someone I care for so I see no reason to continue paying them for sending me contacts lol  

Send me a message to my email and I'll respond there..  [email protected]

love, Dusty

To be continued........ (soon)


Watch for Rite on Site part II
The Chat Room

here is Rons link if you want to pop over and show him some love.  shallimarRose

 
 
 
 
 

For more shallimarRose Poetry titles visit my table of contents in my blog...

 

Bits of Me...Table of Contents by title...

 
 

© 2013 shallimarRose


Author's Note

shallimarRose
Special Thank you To ron
for allowing me to be part of this.. As always comments and critique welcome. shallimarRose

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the concept....the literary role playing is extraordinary. Ron had my skin crawling, he was so bang on as the man. You sure had me slathering some over your character.

I was going to suggest calling it a novella, but I have another thought. This would work even better on stage as a 2 person play. Could you 2 get together for that. You are in South Cali, gotta be boatloads of community theatres you could pitch it to. I'd pay to direct it.

Kudos both on an extraordinary write. I am eager for the next instalment.

Cheers Brian

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

LOL I've never even read my poetry outloud im not doing a stage production... Im sure in theater thi.. read more



Reviews

This is interesting. Many people do meet this way now days and I like the idea of this. I am wondering where all of this is going.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Poetic Beauty

10 Years Ago

I did a col. poem with someone similar to this over a year ago. Each stanza was a person talking. .. read more
shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Yes I know but being a poet I usually categorize everything under that same heading .. Not sure how .. read more
Poetic Beauty

10 Years Ago

I write mostly poetry but if I have a story that is how I post it and so on. It is fine either way... read more
This is a fantastic form, Rose.. I love it! Reminds me of the email exchanges between my husband and I when we first met.. it was an AOL chat room that quickly became emails and after about a month, phone calls... we met 2 months later and have been together ever since... looking forward to more of this!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

We are going to try and work on a chat room segment on Monday. This is all a bit new to me Im not r.. read more
Ravyne Hawke

10 Years Ago

Good luck with the chat room scenes.. and I cannot wait to read more.
I had a few long flow of e-mail. I enjoyed this one. Remind me of a long conversation at a public place where time doesn't matter. Good to have conversation with people with same goals and thoughts. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote.. Yes I think many form connections in just this way.. Its that feeling of belongin.. read more
I really like this idea. My husband and I met online, on a poetry site. I actually did something similar awhile back, but it just for personal use. You have actually inspired me to find it, edit it, and post it as well. This was a very good idea. I absolutely love the idea.

I always like to post a suggestion, but I think I'll wait on that to finish the story.

SUGGESTION ADDED FROM COMMENT BELOW: First of all, you missed to switch July 21st from bold to italic. Thought I'd let you know

It took awhile, I've never really critiqued a story before. But I finally found a good suggestion: When my husband and I actually became an couple when we were still online, one of the things we would do would be to try and express our feelings poetically. Not verse per-say, but high on symbology and other poetic.. ness. Since these's characters are poetical in nature, I think it would be nice if one or both of them were to try to express some of their feelings poetically. We did it and I absolutely love reading them, and I think it would be a nice addition to your story.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SuperChick62

10 Years Ago

Thank you for being open to them. I don't ask that you do them, but, as an artist, I ask you be will.. read more
shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

well tell me the suggestion lol..
SuperChick62

10 Years Ago

First of all, you missed to switch July 21st from bold to italic. Thought I'd let you know
read more
TO BE CONTINUED! Bugger, I was getting right into it. Dallas all over. It must be good coz I'm shattered. Ok, I'll tune in for the next episode.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

lol Sorry Keith but it would have been too long to read and taken too long to finish if we had not c.. read more
:) I'm hooked.........can't wait to read your messaging again... I don't think I can sleep until part II is on the page. It's a great concept! Oh those dating sites.
E.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thanks I cant wait either to see how this plays out.. thank you for reading Noodle.. shallimarRose
This is so creative and cleverly written! I am eagerly looking forward to the next write. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thanks Sharon.. I cant get a hold of him so I hope there will be a part two lol.. His end didnt get .. read more
It's definitely an interesting tale that is probably more common than we would think. Not something I would normally read, but it did keep my attention throughout.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Well it is not something I would normally write either lol but it was fun working on it.. Thanks for.. read more
This is a creative way to collaborate. It is generally not the kind of thing I read - not into internet dating or romance stories - but this was well conceived and well written, certainly unique!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thanks Rita.. While we were working on it I thought of it as a script I was writing. Thanks for rea.. read more
It was exciting to follow the dialog from start to finish, and to anticipate where and how the relationship escalates, or "decompresses" with more interaction between the two characters. Your concept of this piece shows wonderful creativity and the ability of the two of you to continue the thought process as the correspondence continues.

The male comes across as extremely thoughtful and compassionate, yet shy and not quite able to completely reveal his feelings in the beginning and continues to be a bit shy, but so very much a gentleman. I like that!

The female is expressive and warm and her exuberance comes through loud and clear.
I really like this and commend the two of you for an excellent presentation!! I eagerly await the next "sharing"!!

And oh yes, I particularly enjoy the names of the children - Heaven and Angel. This makes the romance even more heavenly and angelic......lol

Great write!!

Before closing, I should also indicate how interesting it is to see how "internet" dating can escalate to become as serious as this without meeting another "in person". It is a sign of the times when human contact if often put on the back burner, and of how we may come to trust another without "really" knowing them. Many hide behind a computer screen. So, you have been able to relay this concept in a positive way too!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Sheila.. The funny thing is that is really the names of our daughters..
mine.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

894 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 12, 2013
Last Updated on September 15, 2013
Tags: collaboration, story, cyber relationships, love, hope, chance, serendipity

Author

shallimarRose
shallimarRose

F W, WA



About
I am a singer, writer, poet, dreamer, believer..... I am an unconventional poet who has been writing rhyme since the age of five. I enjoy all styles of poetry. I write by ear not syllable count .. more..

Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by shallimarRose



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse