That Evening

That Evening

A Story by shanewolfe00
"

Believe.

"

“You’re late”, Jane said angrily.

“You know my excuses love” said David with a smile on his face.

“I hate workaholics” said Jane.

“But you love me and I have all the rights to make excuses” he said and kissed her cheeks “Happy birthday love”.

“Thank you” she looked at his hands “Flowers! Again? When will you stop being so lame with gifts?”

“As if you will accept anything else” he frowned.

“Well, you know…..” Jane continued “but you are the one who is late, you don’t get to be sarcastic mister” she laughed.

David smiled.

“I know you don’t like me coming here at this hour but I had no other option, the year is about to end and you know how things take turn” David said apologetically.

“I understand” she said looking at him.

There was a moment of silence. It was a cold December evening and Christmas was few days away. Both of them sat there with a lot of emotions but no words to transpire. Suddenly, the cold breeze gave way to words.

“You have reduced your visits nowadays” Jane continued “are you seeing someone else?” she said in jest.

“Yeah, 10 women right now. What do you think I do at work?”

Both of them laughed.

“Jokes apart, I have reasons” he said.

“Mom?”

“Yes” he replied.

“I know why she would have asked you to lower your visits.” She sighed.

“She is still mad at you. And I think its fine.” He said

“Are you mad at me?” she asked

He looked at her and realized how much he loved her. He then said “I could never be mad at you. I know you tried your best to stay” he continued “Hey it’s your birthday, these things can be discussed some other time.”

“How is Ben?” she inquired.

“He is fine. He enjoys his studies. Something I could never do.”

They laughed.

“Although” he continued “he got into a fight last week.”

“Why?” she asked anxiously.

“Some kid at school broke his crayons.”

“Kids….” She sighed.

“He said he would visit you soon. I wanted to bring him today but I thought it was better to leave him with mom today. At least her grandson keeps entertained. She isn’t at her best today.” He said.

“I understand. How is mom btw?” she asked.

“She is fine. She knows how to keep herself busy, running a school keeps her occupied throughout the day.” He continued “Although I make breakfast for her everyday just so that we can talk. Other than that we hardly converse throughout the day.”

“She takes her own time to get used to things, I know that too. Since dad passed away she has always been cranky”

“You must know her better; she is the one who bought you into this world” he concluded.

They both looked at each other after a brief moment of silence. They missed each other.

“You look nice in that shirt” she pointed at the collar of his shirt under the jersey.

“I know” he smiled.

He held her hand and looked at her.

“I don’t really mind you not visiting me that often as earlier. I think it’s for the best that we see less of each other.” She said.

“It’s hard for me to control” he said with his eyes wet.

“I don’t want you to stop visiting me love, but it’s for the best that we at least try.” She said as she held his hand firmly.

His phone rang. It was 7:30 P.M., and he had to reach home by 8.

“Need to leave?” Jane asked with a sad face.

“Your mom probably won’t let me enter if I am late today. She is cooking.” He replied.

He looked at her and said “I think I should leave.”

“Yeah, you should.”

David wished to stay but he knew he had to go. He didn’t have much of a choice.

“It’s chillier in here” he said.

“Well I am used to the place” she smiled.

He looked at her and then hugged her tightly.

“Should I keep the flowers here as always?” he asked as he stood up to leave.

“Yes love” she said.

“Happy birthday baby”

“Thank you love”

David kept the flowers on the grave and left the cemetery where Jane rested peacefully. 

 

 -Shanewolfe

 

 

© 2017 shanewolfe00


Author's Note

shanewolfe00
Trying writing for the first time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I found this piece of work touching and slightly puzzling to begin with, the puzzlement and my curiosity to find out how the story ended kept me reading with enjoyment.

The twist at the end explained it all. I wonder how many such conversations are conducted like that, thousands I'm sure. I really felt for David, its a story that will touch everyone in its own way and as such is powerful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

I feel really lucky to get such kind words for my first work. i am really glad you liked it. Thank y.. read more



Reviews

Welp. You had me going and then the end came and i legit got goosebumps. Good work. This was a good piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thank you and i am glad you liked it.
I found this piece of work touching and slightly puzzling to begin with, the puzzlement and my curiosity to find out how the story ended kept me reading with enjoyment.

The twist at the end explained it all. I wonder how many such conversations are conducted like that, thousands I'm sure. I really felt for David, its a story that will touch everyone in its own way and as such is powerful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

I feel really lucky to get such kind words for my first work. i am really glad you liked it. Thank y.. read more
You got me hooked and then broke my heart, thanks. It is a bit weird that you used 'btw' in a conversation between two people. In face-to-face talk people usually just say 'by the way'.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for you kind words and i know btw wasn't supposed to be in the final post but so.. read more
Very Interesting held my attention all the way through till I realized the sad ending of it all. Great story telling My Friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your kind words and i will try my level best to be better. Thank you.
Falcon1

7 Years Ago

You were great you kept me in suspense until the end and that was a wonderful thing.
shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for taking out time and reading it :)
Well if this is an example of your first attempts at writing, I'd say you are off to a fantastic start! The story is wonderful and I do hope you are going to make it into a book! ~Sharon

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for taking out time and reading it. And certainly i will try my level best. Than.. read more
It's beautiful and kept me interested all the way through. Some food for thought though... perhaps spacing your dialogue and text might add some organization and clean up the text. I find it makes it harder to read if everything is all together.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for taking out time to read it and will certainly keep your suggestions in mind.
AshlynnStyx

7 Years Ago

anytime. I love reading anyway.
This was good in more ways than not, really, baring the few grammatical and textual problems. But I'm sure you'll fix that in the re-write. The only thing i'll say by way of critique is that while a twist in storytelling is what readers constantly look for, it's more effective by way of foreshadowing. Here it's something we eventually, ultimately arrive at as the story ends. Just a critique though. Good work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for taking out time to read it and will certainly keep your suggestions in mind. Thank .. read more
Deco

7 Years Ago

You are welcome. :)
If this was a first time effort in my humble opinion it was pretty good. I think it might benefit from adding a little speed. I know you wanted to build up to the twist at the end. But maybe you panned it out a little too much. This is only my opinion, I do lots of writing but I am NO expert.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking out time and reading it and i will certainly keep your suggestions in m.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BBP
I liked his price. The end actually gave me goosebumps, the only thing your ant to check is grammer and make sure not to use text abbreviations as part of the dialogue. You have to actually use the words lol but the plot was rally good. At first I thought it was a girlfriend ... Then maybe she was a t a hospital of sorts and then the end surprised me

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for taking out time and reading this. i will definitely keep your suggestions in.. read more
BBP

7 Years Ago

I really did like it. The twist came as a suprise
shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

i am really glad you liked it. Thanks a lot.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
FIN
Well first off your dialogue is beautiful. I'm in no place to critique fiction, but from a reader's perspective you made me feel: love, sadness, distance and evoked laughter. You seem to be a natural and I am glad that I took the time to read this; it was a beautiful short story. Thank you, dearly. You've got the craft to write within you my friend.

That twist at the end, just wow. Too bad I wanted more play of back and forth from these two lovers, but still; to end on that note and still have me immersed with emotions of happiness, love and wonder is amazing.

You're dialoug was fantastic, for me. I felt the love.

Nice job, my friend; and keep writing.

Much love,

LR

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

i will keep that in mind always. thanks you so much for being so kind. thanks a lot.
FIN

7 Years Ago

Always. My man.

And yeah, it seems to me you're ahead of the pack from the looks of t.. read more
shanewolfe00

7 Years Ago

Will certainly keep that in mind. Thanks a ton for taking out time and reading.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

472 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 24, 2017
Last Updated on January 24, 2017

Author

shanewolfe00
shanewolfe00

About
Just a rookie trying to tell a story. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..