How to love a woman

How to love a woman

A Story by Ashwin Shanker
"

There is only one way to do it.

"
Today, after the gazillionth fight over the phone with my girl, I just got fed up;

The longer I kept arguing with her, the more I realised that I was just adding more petrol to the raging fire. 

When I hung up, four missed calls popped up, all from my mom in the last one hour that I was talking to my girl.
 
I called my mom, and told her about my girl, explaining why the line was busy the whole time.
I ranted,"Mom, women baffle me so much. They say one thing but mean another, want one thing, but they point at another. It is so damn confusing to figure out what do they want?"
She chuckled; it was music to my ears and would always bring a smile to my face even at the worst of times.
It felt so nice that I could make her smile, even though the joke is on me. 
 
"To begin with, she would appreciate it if you were a bit more sensitive to her emotional needs.
Make it a point to call her back promptly because she may not be as patient or as understanding as I am."

"Hehe, Yeah mom, you're right. But tell me, how do they expect us to treat them?"
She thought for a while, then she came the lecture as usual, but this time, whatever she said was unforgettable. 
 
"Treat her like your cousin, how you shared all your toys with her, you always wanted to see her dimpled smile and wouldn't mind sacrificing your costliest toy to get a glimpse of it.

Treat her like your aunt, see her as someone greater than myself. You call your aunt ‘Velliama’ (translated in Malayalam as ‘elder mother’) Let her be on a higher pedestal, let her feel special.  

Treat her like your sibling, whom you can tease, or play pranks with, but at the end of the day, let her feel reassured that you would never leave her side and that she could always lean on your shoulders.

Treat her like your grandma, to rest your head on her lap and listen to her stories patiently.
You never know, she would be just feeling lonely and looking for someone to have a conversation with. 

Last but not the least, look at her the way you look at me, worship the divinity in her because, someday she would become a mother like me and perhaps have the misfortune *Chuckles* to have a son like you."
 
"Mom, can you cut all this philosophical stuff and give me a straight answer." 

"No, I can't be more elaborate than this!"

"Ok, then you're not helping... Bye, and please send me some money, I am broke."

"Ask your dad, bye, love you."

"Yeah yeah". I hung up. 
 
It was good that we had this conversation over the phone, she didn't see the tears that slowly moistened my eyes; not because of what she said, because I missed her so badly and couldn't find words to express that.  
 
The End

© 2017 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Hope you enjoyed the story.

Do Rate/Review/ Subscribe.

Thanks a lot and have a good day.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thank you for sharing. Have you written this story only in this version? No mistake this is fine, very workmanlike. There may be other ways to tell the same tale, other ways that open different insights to the characters and the effect upon the reader. Just a thought.

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.



Reviews

Heart touching. You have that insight to accurately write the thoughts of human nature. I am glad I came across this.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I really like your mothers advice. Pretty smart lady!

Posted 6 Years Ago


how nice. A woman being compared to so many dimensions. well told in a few words. Clever, unique. unprecedented.

Good work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

My Bhagwan OSHO once said, "women are meant to be loved, not understood" ... I try and stick to that.. read more
This was so sweet and heart warming to read. My mom would probably agree with most of this. Loved reading this. Great Work

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review Maria
Maria

6 Years Ago

Your welcome
Very sweet, she'd be a lucky woman.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

She is ... I have to add ;)
Thank you for sharing. Have you written this story only in this version? No mistake this is fine, very workmanlike. There may be other ways to tell the same tale, other ways that open different insights to the characters and the effect upon the reader. Just a thought.

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review.
This was a great story and it almost made me cry seeing a relationship from the guy's perspective.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH YES I enjoyed this story! Bravissimo. ~Sharon

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice! The grammar is better than the last time I read your work, there are only little things now.

One thing I noticed: At the very beginning there's a lot of repetition, you could cut down on it. E.g.:
'When I hung up, four ...' You repeat 'hung up' and the fact that the narrator was talking to his girl. Why re-state these facts when we just read about them?

I really like the advice of the mother - it's very true and well stated. In that part, the repetition of words works really well because it serves a point.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Kathrin, I made the note and have changed it in the story.
I gave a 100 because this by far is the best understanding of how to love a woman even though in ur shoes I would have said the same! Well done! I'm enlightened by your words! Thank you
As a final note I will leave a word from my work 'MY BOREDOM THOUGHTS ABOUT LOVE'
....If a man looks upon a woman and finds love for her in that moment she is the love of his life and who is to say that single moment is not all he has.....


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Wow... Great line. Let me check out your work for more on this.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1160 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on March 13, 2017
Tags: love, romance, story, teen, Life, adventure, fiction

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Her Her

A Poem by Giulia King


White Linen White Linen

A Poem by MsJewel