Unlock her password

Unlock her password

A Story by Ashwin Shanker

“Things are not like how they used to be, Neha,” Ranjan took a deep breath, holding the mobile phone to his ears, clad in his formals with his feet on the table, looking out the window of his office cabin on the 37th floor of Peninsula Towers.
At 3:15 A.M. His office was the only one lit on the whole floor, “I told her that I would have to be staying back here. However, my eyes are on her tonight.”


“What do you mean your eyes would be on her?” Neha said, as she snapped her fingers against her yawn. It had taken her an hour to have him open up about his wife. He sobbed on the call for ten minutes before Neha could get him to speak a single word. She propped up in her bed clad in pajamas.


“Right now I am watching her from here, she is reading a novel on our bed.  I am expecting him to show up any second,” he said,


“Wait a second… Are you telling me that you have a camera set up in your bedroom and you are observing her LIVE from your office right now?” her pitch high, shocked at his statement.    


“There is no turning back now, I need to get to the bottom of this and it has to be tonight.  Sunil hasn’t turned up at his place either. I checked with his wife a while ago.”


“I can’t believe that you of all the men I know, would be doing something as shameless as this,” she sat up in her bed, fists clenched.


“There isn’t a single day when she doesn’t speak about him. It’s always, “Sunil this... Sunil that”. We fight several times a night just so that I can get her to shut up. She is never happy with anything that I do for her. She either finds fault or gets irritated. He must be her new confidant now. I have a feeling that she is getting into a new relationship with my best friend.”


“Ranjan, you seriously need to consult a psychiatrist. I know Sunil very well too, he would never do something like this to you. Even if he’s spending time with her I’m sure it’s as a friend to help her. Don’t you spend ample time with me because I am your friend and you want my advice your current state of personal affairs?”


He paused for a moment, “Well… Since her third miscarriage a few weeks ago, she has been extremely depressed. We’ve tried so many things, but it seems there wasn't a single doctor who could save our child. Despite being an atheist, I’ve spared no temple of my incessant praying and ritualistic offerings. I was heartbroken once again after this miscarriage too. But I kept a brave front for her sake. At times I would withdraw so that she wouldn’t see my pain.  I kept it all to myself.”


“I‘m sure she would have been as heartbroken as you were, you should have been there for her as well. May be she felt that she’s been left alone, because she wouldn’t have understood your silence. A mother feels this loss more strongly than a father. It’s a three-pronged attack for her - emotional, physical and hormonal,” advised Neha.


“I was always there for her. Every time she wanted to try again, I was there for her. Despite the doctor repeatedly warning us that it won’t be easy, I kept at it because she wanted a child that badly. I didn’t want our marriage to collapse over this.  Yes, you are right, I may not have been emotionally available always. I regret my zoning out when I think about it these days, but even then I have always kept my faith so that our love would survive. Tonight I want to know if she thinks the same. I need to know if we are still a team, whether we are still in this together or not. .”


“Watching over her like this isn’t the solution. Fine, I understand the complications which have got aggravated since the 3rd miscarriage, but pause for a moment and think of the consequences it can have when she gets to know you had her under a camera!  I can suggest a better covert way to find out what you want to know if you promise me that you would switch off that camera and head back home,” she said.


“I am listening,” he replied.


“I can tell you a method to break into her Facebook account if she has accessed it from your laptop. You can look through her messages with Sunil and see if you can find something that provides a solid proof. If it doesn’t come across anything, at least you get to know you have been a delusional idiot assuming his own realities.”
“I want to know what is going through her mind, I want to know what she is up to, no matter the means I employ, and if I am proven to be “delusional idiot” as you say, I am more than happy to accept my folly,” he replied.

He thought about this for a few seconds more before replying, “Alright fine! It’s a deal then. She has often logged into her account from my laptop. All I need is her password.”


“If you select her account from the facebook login page, you will find that her password shows up but is hidden behind asterisks right?”, Neha guided.


“Yeah, you are right, what do you do about that?”


“Right click on that box, and click on inspect, you will see that input type =” password” is highlighted.

Change “password” to “text” and you will see exactly what was written behind the asterisks.”


Ranjan opened his laptop and within minutes, he broke into her I.D. with this method. The password was ‘[email protected]


As her profile unravelled before him, he noticed the several notifications, friend requests from middle-aged men and pokes from her many girl friends.


She opened her message box and found that the last message that she sent from here was in fact to Sunil itself. It was sent from her mobile phone at around 11:45 p.m. earlier in the night.


Her message read, “I feel that he has some arrangement with his “best friend” Neha. He has been acting distant with me ever since I lost the baby. Maybe now he is looking for a suitable woman with a healthy womb, and my bet is on her. I have arranged for his phone lines at work to be tapped through a private detective. He said he’s going to be working late again. Now I shall know what he’s up to so late “at work.” It’s good that you are also working late. I’ll keep you posted on what my agent reports. If am being stupid and proven wrong, I’ll be happy. Nothing is more important than my marriage, even if we are not able to start a family. But I need to know what he’s up to.”

Neha waited a few minutes, expecting him to break the silence. A few moments later, she chose to speak, “Hello, are you there? What did you find?”


The End

© 2017 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Do review in detail if you can. Thank you for stopping by and hope you enjoyed it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The story is good. In the very beginning it took me a bit to realize he was on the phone. Maybe add that in the description in the first paragraph.
Change when Neha says: "eyes would be on her" to the tense "eyes will be on her?"
"We fight several times a night just so I can just..." needs revised.
The story is strong...like a chapter in the middle of a book. Intrigues me for more!
The imagery is good too. I can see the office in my mind. The emotions are felt as well.
Hope this helps...other than a few typos I think it is a great piece!
Tabby

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

I revised the story and have incorporated a lot of changes to it. Kindly have a look now.
Tabby Mac

6 Years Ago

That did the trick! Well done Ashwin! It reads much smoother now!
Just those few tweaks enha.. read more



Reviews

Ashwin,
A well written clever story. It held my interest and i enjoyed the ending. The dialogue flow easily and kept the story moving. Your characters and plot were realistic and uncluttered. We all strive to have our stories clean and you nailed it with this story.
Peace,
Richie b.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Honestly, amazing, fantastic storyline and though you have written THE END, as a reader you left me hanging in there wanting more. I mean what happened next? I would request you to please write the concluding part if you have something in mind.

Now being a critic reviewer of your story, everything was smooth until I reached here and had to re-read it:

“She opened her message box and found that the last message that she sent from here was in fact to Sunil itself.”

Instead it should be

“He opened her message box and found that the last message that she sent from here was in fact to Sunil itself!”

I hope you’ll edit it.

Thank you for sending me the read request to a wonderful piece on “Trust in Relationships”. Keep on writing more good stories.

Regards,
Anjali

Posted 6 Years Ago


Its good but, I think it could be more intense
the plot line is interesting but, somewhere it's difficult to interpret the lines

Few Grammatical errors are there
Things are not like how they once were Neha
Should be
"Things are not like how they were, Neha"
2. Sunil hasn’t turned up at his place either, had a word with his wife a while back.”
This cant be the continuation. This is like you are explaining things of how it should be

Use
" [close the earlier line] then start
Sunil hasn’t turned up at his place yet, but he had a word with his wife a while back.

Just being honest!
I hope this helps!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Check now. Just revised the whole thing with an editor friend.
Pragati Chaudhary

6 Years Ago

Ohh! thats great!

Keep writing!
The story is good. In the very beginning it took me a bit to realize he was on the phone. Maybe add that in the description in the first paragraph.
Change when Neha says: "eyes would be on her" to the tense "eyes will be on her?"
"We fight several times a night just so I can just..." needs revised.
The story is strong...like a chapter in the middle of a book. Intrigues me for more!
The imagery is good too. I can see the office in my mind. The emotions are felt as well.
Hope this helps...other than a few typos I think it is a great piece!
Tabby

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

I revised the story and have incorporated a lot of changes to it. Kindly have a look now.
Tabby Mac

6 Years Ago

That did the trick! Well done Ashwin! It reads much smoother now!
Just those few tweaks enha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 3, 2017
Last Updated on September 12, 2017
Tags: Dark, Life, Sad, adventure, death, depression, family, fiction, love, magic, pain, poetry, romance, story, teen

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Woman A Woman

A Poem by Saumya


Patience Patience

A Poem by Giulia King


Red Rose Red Rose

A Poem by Zephyr