Love Has No Color

Love Has No Color

A Story by sherry
"

This is the story about an interracial love affair that grew strong and intense, nothing could keep them apart. Until one late night Shaylan's heart was shattered when tragedy unfold.

"

 


Love Has No Color
By shirley m patterson

 Chapter 1

It was the summer of 1989, one hot day at a Louisiana Festival, people were having fun, the live bands were playing and the aroma from the Louisiana food filled the air.  Shaylan, an African American female 5ft 5in tall of slender build, long black hair and brown eyes was a happy young woman. She was quiet and subtle, but yet outgoing in her own way. Shaylan loved outdoors activities, and always looked forward to the summer months.  Everyone was pretty friendly that day; and joy seemed to have filled the air. There was a line dance that most people joined in on; and Shaylan was one of those people. As Shaylan got up to dance, someone bumped into her as she was walking. This person before Shaylan knew him was Danny.  Danny was a caucasion male about 5ft 10 in with a slender but strong build, hazel eyes and brown hair. He was very apologetic to Shaylan for bumping into her. As the day went on Danny decides he wants to dance with Shaylan, so he asked, “may I have this dance with you”, Shaylan had turn down the dance at that time. But Danny never gave up on asking her again.  As the evening neared, Danny decided to asked for that dance again.  Shaylan accepted this time, they then talked and after the dance was over he asked her, could he buy her a drink; Shaylan wasn’t a drinker of alcohol, so he suggested he would buy her a coke instead. Danny decided to join Shaylan and they had a great talk, and decided to exchange phone numbers. Danny was the persistent type, once he felt things were right he would persue it.

Danny didn’t hesitate in calling Shaylan the following day. They had a long telephone conversation and through talking they discovered they had quite a bit in common. Danny was a store supervisor and Shaylan an assistant manager in a supermarket, they both loved bowling, dinner and dancing. They continued talking to each other, so Danny called regularly. They really got to know each other better, so he asked her out on a date. Shaylan was hesitant at first, this is not a typical thing in Louisiana, because it is known  to be one of the most prejudice states. But she accepting, because she felt comfortable with Danny and liked their conversations.  Their first date was, take a wild guess here, dinner and dancing. The date went find, and Shaylan and Danny both realized they wanted to see more of each other. They hit it off very well. The phone calls and the dating kept coming. 

Danny and Shaylan’s feelings grew stronger and more intense,

this love kept them fighting to stay together, because some of

Danny’s family and friends didn’t exactly welcome it with open

arms, in fact, it was some type of bad tabeau or something. One

of Danny’s friends confronted Shaylan one day; and told her it

would be better if  she stayed away from Danny, because their

relationship would not work. Shaylan didn’t think he believed that

himself or he wouldn’t have had to tell her this. Shaylan didn’t tell

Danny about this one; she wanted to keep peace.  Shaylan asked

Danny one night did he really loves her? Danny replied, “of

course I love you, why would you ask me this”. Shaylan just

needed him to say it again, but never spoke a word to him about

what his friend said to her. She knew he loved her, it was just the

thought of what his friend said. Shaylan tested this love and

discovered it was worth fighting for. It all started again when

Shaylan was confronted again only this time it was more than just

Danny’s friend.  There were several of these guys who actually

threatened Shaylan and double dared her to end this relationship

.  Shaylan freightend and upset, she couldn’t control this any

longer. One night Danny looked into Shaylan’s eyes and knew

something was wrong .

© 2011 sherry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on June 26, 2011
Last Updated on June 26, 2011
Tags: love, color, book title, book, nonfiction

Author

sherry
sherry

Mansura, LA



About
When I was forced out of New Orleans by the ravishing 2005 floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina, I ended up in a small town just 3 hours away. I didn't know what to do in this small town, so I got bored a.. more..

Writing