Chapter 7: Myra's Catastrophe

Chapter 7: Myra's Catastrophe

A Chapter by Aurora Silverheart
"

A young dragon can sure cause a lot of trouble!

"

      In his dark castle, Drakath brooded over a way to attack the Dragon Cave. Then he would capture all of the dragons and combine their power to control the entire realm. The loss of Darkclaw was unfortunate, but Drakath could take control without him. He had already served his purpose killing Stoneclaw. In fact, Drakath would attack the Dragon Cave soon.

     Meanwhile, back at the Dragon Cave everything was just about as good as things could get; fresh prey was abundant, young hatchlings were being born, and good healthy dragons mean a prosperous colony.

     But something would change all that in a few weeks, starting with a young hatchling, a hatchling even younger than Skywing. She hadn’t gotten even received her official name yet, she was commonly called Myra. While Skywing was training, Myra was still weaning by her mother, Goldenbrook. One afternoon, when her mother was busy rounding up her brothers; she was the only female in her clutch.

     Myra crept out the nursery and gave an awed gasp at the huge tunnels that criss-crossed in front of her. Myra began to wander, exploring the cave. In a couple of minutes, she had found the exit and scampered happily out. Myra began to explore the outside world now, sniffing at strange plants, digging in the dirt. Some time later, she began to get hungry and tired.

     She spotted a small mouse and pounced, capturing it between her baby claws. Myra quickly snapped up the mouse. She felt a sense of pride when she finished eating the small rodent. Then she crept beneath a shrub and slept soundly.

     When she finally woke again, Myra was yet again hungry so she started to look for prey traveling farther and farther from the Dragon Cave. The smell of a frog by a marsh caught her attention. Myra crept closer licking her muzzle hungrily, then sprang quickly . . . too quickly; the frog dived into the water with a loud ka-sploosh!

     Disappointed, starving, and tired, the small dragon attempted to eat some plants to get satisfy her hunger but they tasted bitter and as far as you can get from the taste of fresh meat. Myra drank from a puddle of stale water then continued to travel farther from the cave. At this time, she wondered if she should be getting back. Myra turned around and realized it was impossible as she was lost; everywhere around her were tall trees that blocked out the sun’s rays with no familiar land marks. Beginning to feel uneasy, Myra had no choice but to keep going, sometime or other she had to exit the dim forest.

     Either by chance or magic, Myra ended up in Drakath’s territory. The smell of food had led her there. The enticing smell of freshly killed prey wafted from the dark castle’s kitchen where several men in tall white hats were cooking an entire pig on a spit complete with spices and sauce. Myra’s mouth began to salivate; she couldn’t remember what it was like to have a belly full of warm milk or fresh prey. Myra was viewing the kitchen through a window that she quickly broke with a certain amount of difficulty. Then the small dragon crawled into the kitchen to the surprise of several chefs.

     “Dragon in the kitchens! Dragon in the kitchens!” shouted a cook. Drakath burst into the room hearing the commotion. He was livid and began to shout at the chefs as he did not see the miniature dragon creeping to the roasted pig.

     “What is going on in here?!?!” roared Drakath. Then he spotted the hatchling running towards the roast pig with squeals of glee.

     “What in the world?!” He cast a capturing spell that missed the baby dragon who continued on her way to the food, and ensnared a frightened chef. Drakath’s dark mages burst in quite alarmed.

     Meanwhile, Myra had finally reached the delicious meat; she bit down into the succulent meat dragging it off the spit with a strong tug of her tiny teeth, just as a capturing spell from one of the mages hit her. A net enmeshed the hatchling who was for a moment oblivious and continued to gulp down the food.

     Drakath looked at the hatchling closely. “It’s from the Dragon Cave!” he shouted, face full of gleeful malice. “Tie her up, we leave for the Cave immediately.” The mages did what they were told almost mechanically. Then they summoned a red dragon for each mage and mounted onto their high backs and flew off in the direction of the Dragon Cave.

     In the areas around the Dragon Cave, Skywing felt twitchy and restless.

     “What’s wrong Skywing?” Velicity asked as the blue dragon flapped his growing wings with agitation and rising a few inches off the ground. Skywing’s wings had grown and he had rejoined Velicity just a day ago.

     Dragons flying here, Arrive soon. Red carrying humans. said the dragon into her mind.

     Who? Velicity thought back, alert.

     Magic users, powerful ones.

     This is bad. It is very likely it is Drakath. Velicity swept her gaze across the sky. As she expected, several red dots were flying closer, and fast.

     “Drakath! He’s coming to the Dragon Cave!” Velicity shouted running to the Cave entrance. The Council burst out raking their gazes across the sky as Velicity had done.

     “Incoming! Northwest! Sixteen dragons with riders on all of them! Dark mages!” Sea Spirit reported.

     “Prepare your element for battle! All nursing females and hatchling are to be guarded!” Goldenflame called the orders to the Dragon Council who raced off.          

     Soon there was an army of dragons lined up and grouped according to Element.

     “Wind Element, frontal attack!” the red-gold dragon bellowed. “Shadow Element sneak behind them and ambush! Water Element attack from ground, full power! Forest Element fortify the Cave entrance! Protect it! Storm Element attack from above! Fire Element create a fire barrier! Lunar Element invisibility spells and surround the enemy! Attack!”

     The dragons worked quickly and efficiently like one being but just as they leapt to the air Drakath called down. “We have a hostage from your cave!” he held the young dragon out so everyone could see. It was Myra. “Surrender now or I will kill it!” Drakath crowed, knowing he had them trapped.

     Suddenly, a single dragon burst out of the cave. “Myra!” It was a nesting mother, apparently Myra’s mother. Heads turned to either the hatchling or the mother. No one made a move.

     “I will give you thirty seconds or I will kill the hatchling you call Myra.” Drakath narrowed his eyes impatiently.

     The nesting mother sprung to the air straight towards Drakath. “Give me my hatchling back and I will surrender!” the female cried.

     “No! The entire Dragon Cave colony must surrender!” replied Drakath coldly.

     The dragons began to mutter among themselves while Skywing invisibly flew into the sky.

     What are you doing?! thought Velicity with a hiss. The hatchling ignored her and climbed even higher. Unnoticed by anyone but the Lunar Element and Velicity, Skywing soared right above Drakath . . . and shot a glob of fire right on his head causing Drakath to jump in surprise and accidentally drop the unsuspecting hatchling.

     Myra’s mother caught her neatly on her back then swerved away from the attacks of the mages and the yelling Drakath trying desperately to beat out the flames. The colony of dragons cheered for the brave nesting mother and the clever young dragon.

     Skywing flew to Velicity and landed by her.

     “I thought something bad was going to happen for sure!” she said out loud and hugging the dragon. Skywing flapped his wings breaking out of her too tight grip and chirruped happily.

     The furious Drakath had flown off knowing he couldn’t fight against a whole army of dragons without his own dragon army. Dejected and furious, he returned to his castle once again.

     Another feast was held to honor the trio of dragons; Myra, Goldenbrook, and Skywing. Goldenbrook heartily thanked Skywing saying over and over how grateful she was. The roar of festive dragon could be heard late into the night.



© 2010 Aurora Silverheart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
Added on August 6, 2010
Last Updated on August 6, 2010


Author

Aurora Silverheart
Aurora Silverheart

About
You would like to know something about me? Well, let's see... I love animals, I enjoy nature, I do cosplaying, I sing, I draw, I write... I do a lotta stuff! Contact me if you want to be my friend!!! .. more..

Writing