Gray

Gray

A Story by S. Kimball
"

Distant cacophony of howling, malicious thoughts.

"
    A sick gray lens stifled his vision. Out of habit, he glanced down at his expensive, worthless watch, but didn't notice the time. The movement of the smallest hand caught his attention rather than its orientation. He watched it click. It somehow dulled the fog, similar to that of his eyes, which had sucked into his chest and scooped out his insides. A ring of salt sat around the wounds to keep his clotted mind thinking of them.
    The bus hissed and popped, its doors squealing open, but even this was distant and he forgot it as soon as it passed the surface of his thoughts. The gasoline and rubber was undone by the pervasive odor of vomit from his mouth. A thought arose from the calamity to cut him, to cut him deep in his hollow chest. "Your son hated the smell of gasoline."
    His clothes felt greasy, humid, cold and wrong, prickling at his pallor. His bones felt frail. It wouldn't take anything for the bus before him to crush his body. His heart would explode and he'd feel the most exquisite, freeing agony, before he was released.
    He picked his head up and had a vague awareness that it was important for him to get on. He retained his stare anyway as the bus closed its doors. It left him behind. Were he a stronger man, he would have cried. Nothing remained to force the tears to come, however, so he sat. Distant but present and gray.

© 2011 S. Kimball


Author's Note

S. Kimball
250 word T.S. Eliot/John Gardner Killer Exercise. "A middle-age man is waiting at a bus stop. He has just learned that his son has died violently. Describe the setting from the man's point of view WITHOUT telling your reader what has happened." Revised six or seven times, possibly more. I still don't like it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

380 Views
Added on May 29, 2011
Last Updated on May 29, 2011

Author

S. Kimball
S. Kimball

ME



About
I'm S. Kimball. I don't write to be famous, so I use a pen name. I prefer things involving murder and torture, although love and happy endings are a guilty pleasure of mine from time to time. If.. more..

Writing
Cancer. Cancer.

A Story by S. Kimball


Something. Something.

A Story by S. Kimball