To the silence of the gods

To the silence of the gods

A Poem by Ashwin Shanker
"

How long for us to eschew the mute god?

"

Where are thou?

I cannot see you nor can I hear you.

I feel nothing when I close my eyes and fold my hands to you.

There is no voice, no form, there is no God, and yet there is a need to conform. 


I was frustrated as he never replied, he never listened to me or saw my pain, 

I left the temple and broke my chain; I threw my ring and walked in the rain.

The rain washed away the sandal from my forehead and the idea of God from my mind.

 

I grew up reading of the mind, of Freud and his thoughts.

I went on investigating from blogs to books of all sorts.

I then discovered much later that it was in a state of no mind and no thoughts.

That peace prevails.


It becomes bolder as our mind become more silent, our thoughts become clearer,

And we can see through to the floor, like gazing through still water.

We understand that our being is walking a tightrope, 

Over the water and we look forward to hope.


Our mind balancing between the past and the future,

We often fall into the trap of one or the other. 


We learn that by only walking moment to moment,

A step at a time, can we have the balance, to see ourselves reach the future unbent. 


I learned that the silence that follows once our eyes closed,

Is the silence that we were always looking for, it needs no name, no form,

No need to conform or follow any norms.

I learned that this was what the Buddha asks us to seek,

Gain strength from this silence, and not to be weak. 

© 2016 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Inspired from the words of the great OSHO (Acharya Rajneesh)
The man who moved the world and spoke the truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll1XQ90JOs

Please do share your thoughts, let us have a healthy discussion, debate.

Won - Story/Poetry contest by 'Skib'

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

...this was kind of hard to read - but because I could relate so powerfully to this. It was really amazing. I've had many years as of late, where I've consistently struggled in my relationship with God, sometimes just struggling to have faith in him. There are still many days where I resent him for the things that goes on in the world, but at some point we humans have to take responsibility for our own actions, God or no God.

Very amazing write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I completely agree with you. The dilemma that you are facing now was what I faced many years ago. read more



Reviews

Ashan,
I think you writing is very good but to me you approach God from an intellectual view. The faith of children is the strongest but life clutters our minds and we become filled with doubts.
I agree we can find god through the quite times and a lot through nature. We can never find him through earthly wisdom. For when we do feel His presence it is because He touched us. I fully respect your views and these are some of mine.
Peace,
Richie b.

Posted 7 Years Ago


For me there is One God, the[ Holy Trinity], father, son, and Holy Ghost. For me it is like one sees, one hears, and one feels, something like our senses. I could not pray to a statue, and yes, I have felt Him, He also tells my heart if a sinful thought should arise etc. He also heard me when I was prayed for and ten years of seizures stopped that many doctors could not figure out nor stop. For me God is. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is a really beautiful piece of work that sums up what life really is. I love it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


...this was kind of hard to read - but because I could relate so powerfully to this. It was really amazing. I've had many years as of late, where I've consistently struggled in my relationship with God, sometimes just struggling to have faith in him. There are still many days where I resent him for the things that goes on in the world, but at some point we humans have to take responsibility for our own actions, God or no God.

Very amazing write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I completely agree with you. The dilemma that you are facing now was what I faced many years ago. read more
I like the idea of that silence very much. The world is far too noisy.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I agree with you RJ . Especially Mumbai is too noisy
This was a beautiful read and certainly thought-provoking. You had me captivated from the very first lines. You write of peace and silence while your own writing reflects those moods, every line bringing a sense of calm to my mind. Lovely work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I am happy that this poem bought you a sense of calm. When our writing appeals to the emotions of th.. read more
What we seek, lies within us. There is perhaps some higher form of energy which we are not aware of, where everything scientific cannot reach. Perhaps, that thing is just us, our mind which is just one mass-mind. That is the energy and the source of creation. Well, I really don't know this. But, why keep our imagination limited? As much as I am an atheist, the design of this universe has always intrigued me to seek something beyond our imagination.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Yes Mayank, even I am an atheist and I am a devotee of the cosmic consciousness that is mother natur.. read more
Mayank

7 Years Ago

Religion is an addiction worse than the cracked cocaine!! People are addicted to it and just like ju.. read more
wow! This work really captures my own spiritual journey. Starting with my parent's religion, I was never satisfied, often guilty, and felt like God was not there. After many religions and spiritual reading, I came to the conclusion that it is not the particular religion that matters, but it is our individual faith; how we commune with that .... *THING* I have come to know as the Ground of all Being. Everyone has faith, it is only those who deny their particular faith who are left unsatisfied.

Good work, I especially liked this: "there is no god, and yet there is a need to conform". That one line sums up my childhood and early adulthood so well. One criticism, a grammar thing...

"Over the water and we look forward for hope." I think 'for' should be 'to'.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the wonderful review Mark. I am personally proud of this poem. It has won first place .. read more
Hi Ashan
Thank you for your friend request. I loved this beautiful piece of writing. Well partly because of the word silence. I do so love stillness. The words you chose to convey your message was profoundly soulful, calming and inspiring. I do believe that the here and NOW is the only place we've got. I traveled through India spending a whole year there. I was very at home and I can sometimes close my eyes and for a moment be back in the himalaya and breath the air from your lovely country.
Blessings
El

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Happy to know that you loved my country and had a wonderful time here. I see that you loved the poem.. read more
Beautiful...there is true strength and the chance of acceptance in silence :) Much enjoyed Ashan :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the wonderful review Poppy. :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

741 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 12, 2016

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Temptation Temptation

A Story by Philip Muls


Regrets Regrets

A Poem by Tate Morgan