What happens when the story ends?

What happens when the story ends?

A Poem by skote1972
"

Just a thought on the aftermath of what we do as writers. I have been thinking about writing a story regarding this... but thought it was a cool idea regardless.

"

What really happens when the story ends?

 

Called forth from nothing the hero stands,

To battle the villian called forth by man.

We weave the words,

We create the worlds,

We create the drama, 

And save the girl,

But in the end we walk away,

And create another world to take its place.

 

But...

 

What really happens when the story ends?

 

Does the villan we created really reform?

Or does he resume his wicked ways?

Does the hero remain the hero?

Or does he suddenly begin to sway?

Do the charcters we brought to life, 

Need prozac to get them through their day?

Or do they need an imaginary shrink,

To help them find their way?

 

What really happens when the story ends?

 

Does the damsel truly get rescued?

Are the wrongs truly set right?

Are the people we created really safe,

From what we made go bump in the night?

We breath life into our characters,

And are sad to say good-bye,

But what really happens,

When we've typed our final lines?

 

What really happens when the story ends?

 

Imagine a world without imagination,

Your world has met its end,

You were only merely pawns it seems,

Within the minds of men.

These people once served a purpose,

But that purpose has met its end,

Forgotten now and banished,

From the minds they lived within.

 

What really happens when the story ends?

 

 

 

© 2012 skote1972


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

interesting stuff to think about. in my own writing, usually the loose ends are tied up neatly in the end and we pretty much know where the characters stand as we leave them. it's only in my unfinished stories that i'm unsure of what might become of the characters. i'm still waiting for them to give up their secrets.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The answer is.... the stories never end. Either from the stand point of the author or those who read and fall in love with the worlds they create... the stories continue... in the mind and in the heart of those who wish it to continue.... just like time, spreading and creating new possibilities and new continuems for which the chracters to seek new adventures or resolve unresolved questions.
Just because a book cover closes and a book gets set back upon some dusty shelf, doesn't mean that it fades into the great oblivion. Just like life... just like the world as it turns... the stories continue on.

Great Ink! =D
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great question, I've often finished reading a book and wished it could have gone on. As a writer, you become so invested in your characters, they become a part of you. Maybe that is all we are, just characters in a story written by God. What happens when our story ends?

Posted 12 Years Ago


interesting stuff to think about. in my own writing, usually the loose ends are tied up neatly in the end and we pretty much know where the characters stand as we leave them. it's only in my unfinished stories that i'm unsure of what might become of the characters. i'm still waiting for them to give up their secrets.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanks man! Just was feeling nostalgic for some old characters and started jotting it down... might make a good idea for a story sometime... might use this as the beginning... who knows.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Brilliant. Although if I was being cynical, I would answer "Hollywood makes a sequel if there's money in it for them."
Love the idea of sneaking behind the screen when the film stops rolling.And the imagination you talk of is captured so well. We all had that imagination once, before life gets in the way. I can picture myself thinking this same question as a kid. I miss that kid. Wonder where he went.
Excellent write Skote. Love it.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2012
Last Updated on January 11, 2012

Author

skote1972
skote1972

Portsmouth, OH



About
I'm actually a public school band director by trade, but have been an avid reader for years, and have finally decided to venture into writing my own original material. I am new to the business but hav.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Anger flames Anger flames

A Poem by Megara