Chapter One : Waking Up

Chapter One : Waking Up

A Chapter by Abbie
"

OK, This is the first chapter of my book My Silent Inanity. Also the Main Character's name is Gwendolyn Demens ( FYI:Demens means 'insane' in Latin). Hope you like this!!!!

"
~ This chapter is dedicated to my friend Sophie! She has been a really good friend lately, so I just wanted to thank her! So thanks sooooo much  Sophie!!!!!!! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   "S
hh! Be quiet, I think she is waking up." someone says.

    

     'Sounds like mum, but who is she talking to? Why does that person have to be quiet?', I think before I dare to open my eyes. My head hurts so bad for some reason. Then I think in wonder ' Should I open my eyes? Should I see where I am?'
 
     Then I hear,' No, Don't open your eyes. Don't ever open them. keep them closed forever.' Strange, this voice doesn't seem to be coming from outside my head, but I know it isn't me. Well, wherever that voice is, I decide not to listen to it.

     Slowly I open my eyes a little. Through squinted eyes I can see white-ness. It hurts my eyes to keep them open, but I try to forget that pain. Instead, I start to blink a little and open my eyes a little. Now the pain in my eyes starts to fade a bit.

     Now that I can see, I start to process where I am. I can see that I am in a medium sized, white  room. One walls is entirely made up of window, Overlooking some tall buildings. The floor was tiled and looked glossy.  There were some strange machines in the room too. I could see that I was hooked up to some of the machines. I was lying down on a weird bed with railings on the side. I could see my family hovering by the right side of my bed. On the left was a little nightstand/table with cards, flowers, presents, and a really big Stuffed black cat.

 

     ' Okay, so I'm in a hospital in the city and I have my family standing next to me looking at me as if I would shatter if they said anything. But why are they looking like I could shatter? And why am I in the hospital?' I thought confused.

 

     'why did you open your eyes? Close them, go back to sleep. Sleep forever. Never wake up. Die.'  I could hear some voice say.shaking the idea of going to sleep and not getting answers , I was about to ask where I was, but suddenly realized how dried up and desert-like my mouth was. 

 

     "Water. I need some water"I said hoarsely.

 

     "Okay, hon, we'll get water for you. just wait a sec." my dad said. He turned around and opened up a little itty bitty fridge that I had not noticed before. " The nurse and doctors did say that she could have this, right?" he inquired.

 

     "Yeah, they did", said my older brother Hal. I could see him smiling down at me. His sandy blond hair looked messy on his face. He was the only one that looked at me as if I wasn't breakable. He looked at me as if there was nothing wrong.

 

     'But there is something wrong' I thought. 'I just don't know what it is yet.'

 

     " Here you go Sis, one bottle of water." Hal said in an almost playful voice, handing me the water. Good old Hal, Always trying to make me laugh

 

     I laughed a bit, but then took of the cap. I took a sip, then a gulp,  letting the icy water rush down my throat. The desert rains had came. I drank until the water was all gone. Now I felt like I could talk.


     " Thanks for the water." I said feeling better...stronger," So...,why am I in the hospital? What happened?"


     " You mean you don't remember?" my little sister Aubry said looking up at me, blue eyes sparkling with concern. She looked so cute!


     " Yeah, how can't you remember what happened Gwen?" her  identical twin Ali [sounds like ally] said sounding just as confused. She tipped her head to the side confused. Some of her blonde hair fell to the side.


     " Remember what the doctor said girls? He said that Gwendolyn might have memory loss. that she may not remember what happened, not know who we are, or not even know who she is. You do know who we are, right Gwendolyn" Mom said sounding a bit more concerned now that she thought about that possibility.


     " 'course I do. Mom, Dad, Hal, Aubry, and Ali." I said pointing at each one of them." and I know who I am too! I'm 15, my name is  Gwendolyn Demens, and I am your adopted daughter. I kept my original last name and not yours, which is Kamtua. I'm the only adopted child that you have!"


     " Well that's good that you can remember all that." said a voice I didn't know. I turned to the door on the other side of the room. A doctor with a clipboard stood there, looking over at me. "Very sorry to interrupt, but I am going to need to ask Gwendolyn some questions alone. Is that alright with you?"


     " It is fine with me, Is it okay with you guy's too?" I replied looking back at my family.


     " Fine with us Gwen, we will stay here at the hospital for as long as you need us. We'll be in the hospital open lounge.Bye!", Hal said. He almost had to push my parents out of the room, knowing they didn't want to leave.


     I looked back at the doctor after I heard the soft Click of the door shutting. The doctor seemed to be about fourty-ish, fifty at most. He had blue-grey eyes and brown hair just covering his eyebrows.  He was smiling down at me. He looked pretty nice.


     " Hello, Gwendolyn. My name is Dr. Harvey Bilks. I am your main doctor at this hospital. Right now I was coming to check on you. I was not expecting you to wake out of your coma for a few more days." said Dr. Bilks.


     " And is that a good thing that I awoke from my coma early? and how did I get in a coma? What happened? Why am I in a Hospital? and What hospital is this? And wh-", I began until the doctor cut me off


     "Well I believe that I can answer all of those questions, but lets start with the first and take it one step at a time.", he chuckled, sitting down on a chair next to my bed." I am not sure that it is a 'good thing' that you awoke early. this could mean that you are stronger than we thought, or it could mean that something is wrong.We put you in a coma because you were loosing a lot of blood, blacking out only to awake screaming a few moments later, and it was easier to check your vitals and keep you breathing."


     "So how can you tell if this is good or bad that I woke up? I won't die, will I?" I asked both confused and afraid for my life.


     "Well, I can check your vitals, and a few other things to make sure you are okay." He replied." But first off, how do you feel? Achy? Tired? Delusional? Dizzy? In Pain? Fi-".


     " I feel... strong. I was a little dizzy when I awoke, but I'm Okay now. And I had a little bit of pain when I woke up too. It was mainly my head. Do you know why that would be doctor?" I asked. " and can you take out the IV? It feels weird and I'm really hungry. and I know that I'm not allowed food until the IV is out."


     He chuckled again, then said,"well, that is good that you are feeling better and that you are hungry. that means that you are becoming stronger. Give me a moment and I can take the IV out."He walked over to me and took the tape holding the IV in off. then slowly, but surely, he pulled the IV out.


     "OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Oww oww oww oww owwwwww! That hurt!You didn't tell me that it would hurt!" I said clutching my arm where the needle was just a second ago. It started bleeding."Is it supposed to bleed? Is that normal? Am I gonna die?!?!?!"


     " You aren't gonna die, so calm down. I didn't tell you it was going to hurt because you didn't ask me if it was going to hurt. That is your fault and your fault alone. It usually doesn't hurt when I take it out, but it is usual for it to start to bleed. here is a bandage. I promise it won't hurt putting it on." he teased me. I stuck my tongue out at him. Childish, I know, but hey! Who ever said I was serious and adult like?Well, lots of people, but that's beside the point!

     

     "that hurt because you didn't listen to me. you should have listened. don't worry about bleeding. Bleeding is fun. You should try bleeding more often. the pain won't go away, but pain makes it all the more fun." The  Voice said in my head.  I wish that It would go away.


     He grabbed a bandage and put it on my arm.  Then he said," I am going to go and call for some food for you to eat. How does spaghetti and some grapes sound?"

 

     " Yum! can I hove some Parmesan cheese on the spaghetti?" I asked eagerly.

 

     " Yes you can. One moment and then I will return, OK? You may have to wait a little while to see your parents because after and during the time that you are eating we will be running some tests. So if you would like, we can have them go home and see you in the morning. That way they don't have to fall asleep in the waiting room while you are in here. Is that OK?" Dr. Bilks waiting by the door for my okay.

 

     " Yes, that is fine. Just make sure that they know that I am okay and that I will see them tomorrow." I said settling back down a bit in my hospital bed. I still didn't know what happened. I really know that I need to find out. I would eventually, hopefully by tomorrow I would know. Though, I guess my safety and health are a bit more important.

 

     "I know what happened. I can tell you, but first, listen to everything that I say. Do what I ask of you. Let me be in control."said The Voice. 


     "Go away! Go away! Go AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed in my head trying to make the voice leave my head. It didn't.


     "Never! Why don't you leave? I don't want to so if you don't want to be with me then die and I will take over!" The Voice said  in my head.

      Just as I was about to scream from aggravation, Dr. Bilks came in with my pasta and grapes. he set it down on my lap as I sat up.

 

     "Yum!I'm starving!!!" I said as I picked up my fork. I twirled some spaghetti onto my fork and stuffed it into my mouth. It tasted so good!

 

     "Now that you have your food, how about we start some tests. first i need to check your breathing and your blood pressure." he said as he walked over to me with the stethoscope(the long tubey-thing with the circular metal thing at the end than you put on your back or chest to check your breathing.)

 

     " breath in. good. and out. good. in again. and out again. well your breathing seems fine, so lets check your blood pressure." Dr. Bilks said.


     The tests continued for a while. I was getting pretty tired, it was probably like nine thirty at night or something. Dr. Bilks must have seen how tired I was, because after the hearing test, he spoke.


     "Well, I see that someone is getting tired. Oh my! Look at the time. Sorry for keeping you up this late! How's about you get some sleep and I will check on you in the morning?" He said.


     "Sounds fine with me." I yawned.


     "Anything else you need?" He said pausing by the door.


     " Nope!" I said reaching over for the black cat stuffed animal, probably from Hal. It was childish, but I needed something to comfort me.


     "Okay then! Goodnight Gwendolyn!" He said walking out closing the door.


     " 'night Doctor!" I shouted as he left. I reached over to the night switch near my bed and turned out the lights.


       It was quiet. I could hear that It had started raining. It was quite soothing.I fell asleep soon after. That was the first night of the dreams.


 



© 2012 Abbie


Author's Note

Abbie
Hey! This is a new book that I am working on! Hope that you like it! Please comment and tell me of any grammar or spelling mistakes. I know that some things have to be fixed, but I can't always find where... The picture was the closest that I could find BTW. Imagine her older and with darker brown hair.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That last line was quite ominous actually. It makes me want to know more about these dreams, and I do want to know about this voice in her head that seems to want to take control of her. Also, I think I want to know what happened to her as much as she wants to know. So many things! There are quite a few typos here and there, a lot of the time capital letters for no apparent reason. I suggest you re-read this, they should be easy to pick out.
So all in all, a nice way to open. It leaves me with all these questions that I need to know.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a great chapter! So far I really like this. Can't wait for the next chapter!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is really good! I can't wait for more, a few things though, there are quite a few recurring grammar mistakes, no spaces between sentences or quotes and stuff like that. Capitalizing words... nothing huge, just letting you know. Also, I don't know if it was meantto be this way, but judging by the voice's behavior and her last name.... I can figure it out. One more thing I noticed (and it is the last) when you're in a hospital or at the doctors, you don't call the doctor Doctor, I call my doctor (if at all) Dr. Davis. Just something I wanted to say.
I seem to be able to give good reviews in the morning, huh.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the dedication thingy :P, made my day! And I'm just letting you know, I won't be on the bus today, sorry :(

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Wonderful! I really liked it. Keep writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hal seems like a fun brother. ^-^
Anyways, the voice... is creepy. That's all I have to say. I wonder how it got there.. why she's in the hospital..
a great chapter.(: I saw barely any errors.

Posted 12 Years Ago


gaaaaah! i'm craving for more, this had little mistakes which is excellent! the storyline was great, and yeah, let me know when you write more

Posted 12 Years Ago


The only errors that I can only point out is capatalize at the beginning of some sentences. I liked how you structured everything in short quips :) And I can't wait for more-I really wanna know what really happened to Gwen and all that stuff. My opinion-THAT VOICE IS CREEEEEEPYYYYY... Whether is paranormal, magic or just her mind playing tricks on her, it seems really creepy .3. Keep writing :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

425 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 22, 2012
Last Updated on April 5, 2012
Tags: sick, hospital, young, life, family, adopted, new, awake


Author

Abbie
Abbie

MA



About
hey guys! I'm Abbie :) about me: I'm fourteen I love to read I love to write I like anime I'm in the eight grade, soon to be ninth I want to be a teacher when i grow up I also want to pub.. more..

Writing
Fall of Angels Fall of Angels

A Poem by Abbie


Her Fall Her Fall

A Poem by Abbie


Honesty Honesty

A Poem by Abbie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..