Chapter Four: Memories and Patroling ~Part 1.~

Chapter Four: Memories and Patroling ~Part 1.~

A Chapter by Abbie
"

Hey, here is chapter four. Hope you guys like it. and anything in Italics, is the flashback. Oh, and I said part one, because this is going to be a really, really long chapter.

"

Sophora's P.O.V.


“Now, I think that sums up our list of things that had to be done in the meeting. Anything else that anyone would like to say?” Minerva said around at the professors, Kadin, and I. Then, professor Snape spoke up.


“Actually Minerva, I do have something to announce.” Severus said looking over at me with the smallest smirking painted on his face. Oh dear this couldn't be what I think it was.


“Well? What do you have to say Severus?” Professor Crossly asked. Severus looked over at me. S**t, it was what I thought he was going to say.


“As you know in recent years I have never taken on a potions assistant for the potions class. This was because I can never find anyone dedicated to potions, who fits my standards, or will accept. Now, I have chosen someone. She seems dedicated, is a good student in all of her classes it seems, and she wishes to become a potions master. Because of this I have asked her to become my assistant in the classroom.” Severus said slyly, not looking at me. It was then that my mind started to flashback to my sixth year, six days from going back to my home.


~ ~ ~


It was 10 o'clock at Sunday breakfast, everyone was there. Holly was talking to her twin sister Molly about what they were doing over the summer; whether to go to Bulgaria and then France or France and then Bulgaria. Brook was talking to Darren about seeing her later today underneath the oak tree next to the Black Lake to talk about something that I was unable to hear. I was just sitting there listening, and munching on a piece of toast.


Halfway through eating some of my toast, a letter landed on my plate. I looked up to see a dark black owl with a dot of white, right where his heart would be. Quite a handsome owl. I offered him a piece of toast. He hooted, and nibbled on it gratefully. I was surprised when he stayed though. Most owls flew away after I gave them a piece of food as a reward. Oh well. I opened the letter. It read,


Dear Miss S. Scarr,

     I have something important to talk to you about that can not be said in this letter. Please meet me in my classroom later this evening around 8:30. If you wish to attend please send me a letter back with my owl. If you attend, see to it that you are not late. You should know how I despise tardiness.


Your Professor,

Severus Snape


Well, that figures. Professor Snape probably is going to tell me off for giving the Hufflepuff seeker a broken leg yesterday in the Quidditch match. I'll just tell him it was an accident, because it was. I only tapped against him with my broom a little bit when he was trying to score. I didn't think he had butter fingers and fall off his broom. When I get bumped like that I don't fall off my broom! Then again, he is so not the best Quidditch player out there.


Deciding not to piss Snape off, I grabbed a quill, some green ink, and some green tinted parchment from my bag. I wrote,


Dear Professor S. Snape,

      I will to meet you in your classroom for 8:30.I do have two questions though .How long do you think we will be talking for? Until 9:00? because if it is going to be until 9:00 or later,my second question occurs: how am I going to be able to get back to the common room? If I were caught I would be in a lot of trouble,and being a prefect, I fear that It would be worse. Do you have a solution Professor?


Your student,

Sophora Scarr



I finished writing my letter and the ink dried. I Put away my quill and ink and grabbed a black ribbon out of my bag. I then tied it to my letter and gave it to the black and one speck of white owl. He hooted and flew up. He circled around a bit, then flew over to the head table.


He stopped by Professor Snape, landing right in his oatmeal, and now everyone knows the reason that I have a cat and not an owl. He didn't look to happy about that. To most he may look unhappy to everyone, but I can tell that it is just a mask. Well...sometimes it is..., Now he really looked unhappy. He seemed to be telling the bird off while Professor Dumbledore was laughing openly and the rest of the head table and some students were trying to suppress giggles. That seemed to make him more upset. Oh Joy. I feel bad for whoever gets in his way. Man do I hope it is Kadin!


Anyways, He opened the letter and skimmed it. He then took out his wand and transfigured his bowl of owl stepped in oatmeal into a quill, his spoon into some parchment, and his supposedly (I'm guessing) coffee into ink. When he started writing I kind of zoned out. I turned back to my food and drank some of my latte. Yeah, we have latte's here. You gotta love the magic of Hogwarts.


Then turning to Mitsy, A red headed slytherin with blue ocean-like eyes , I asked her if she was going to Hogsmeade this weekend. She shakily said that she was going to go with Rachel Kilie from Gryffendor and Jamie Luret from Ravenclaw to the Three Broomsticks for some butter beers. Then they were going to go to some of the shops. I said that that sounded cool. She asked me, but not without cowering a bit, if I was going and who with. I said that I might go, but If I did I wouldn't be with anyone else. She quickly nodded and went back to her food.


Wow, was I really that...scary? Powerful? Commanding? Unapproachable? Yeah, I probably was. I was The Queen of the school after all. I had been that way since my first year. Known for being cold as ice and Yet have a temper that could melt a glacier. I was also the only one that every single teacher liked, well, at least respected as an equal.


I wasn't quite sure that Professor Crossly still liked me after telling her off last week when she tried to give me detention because she thought that I was cheating because all my tests in her classes were O's and I was best in class. Sorry if I'm good at magic unlike all my peers! Ever thought of that Professor Crossly? That my peers might just not be as good as me? I can do way more magic than half my peers because I pay attention during class and study for all my tests and exams, as well as staying the Slytherin queen.


I went back to my food. I really hate being queen sometimes. It makes me seem like I will bite your head off if you try and approach me. Then again, I did kind of bite off Ale's head yesterday. But she did wake me up that morning, and I hate mornings! Why can't classes be at night and we sleep during the day? Being nocturnal sounds really fun. For a while it would be fun at least.


I bit into an apple, my favorite fruit. It tasted delicious. Hogwarts has the best food. I really had to thank the house elves later. After a few bites The owl came back to me. It dropped a letter on the bowl of fruit in front of me. It was tied up with the ribbon that I had used before. I unrolled it. Severus wrote:


Dear Miss S. Scarr,

      I am glad that you can come. Your problem is recognizable. If you so wished we could meet earlier. You are going to Hogsmeade I presume? If you so wished we could go somewhere to talk. If you don't want to or if you are not going, I have another solution. I can bring you to the Slytherin Common room myself that way that you will not get detention from anyone. You pick. I will await your answer.


Your Professor,

Severus Snape


Well, I now have something to do if I were to go to Hogsmeade. I guess that I could meet up with Professor Snape there. After putting the letter in my bag, I re-grabbed my black swan quill,ink, and parchment out of my bag. I wrote:


Dear Professor S. Snape

      I think that if we were to meet up at Hogsmeade it would work out best. Would you care to meet up at The Three Broomsticks? Or is there somewhere else you have in mind? Please send your owl in reply to me.


Your Student,

Sophora Scarr

I folded up the letter and put the black ribbon around it. I gave it to the owl and put away my quill and ink -again- as he flew over to Professor Snape gracefully. This time he didn't land in his oatmeal, which was now a quill, instead he landed on Severus's outstretched arm. He must have been watching me read his letter and then write him back. Snape took the letter and gave his owl (or was it the school's owl?) an owl treat that he had pulled out of his pocket (must be his owl. Otherwise, why would he have owl treats in his pocket?).


He then grabbed the ink that was originally coffee, his quill that had been his oatmeal, and a salt shaker, doubled it, then transfiguring one of them into some parchment. Then he began writing something down rather quickly tied it with the ribbon and gave it to his owl. He told his bird something and then the bird flew around the room and then went to me. He plopped the letter on my lap. I looked up and saw Severus watching me. I opened the letter and read:


Dear Miss S. Scarr,

      The three Broomsticks is adequate I suppose. I shall meet you there at 12 o'clock sharp. I shall be waiting. And for the record, my owl's name is Heartful, so please call him that.


Your Professor,

Severus Snape


      I folded up the letter and put it in my bag with the rest of them. I grabbed some more parchment and quickly scrawled a short note.


Dear Professor S. Snape,

      I'll be there. I'm buying, no arguments please.


Your student,

Sophora Scarr


I gave it to the handsome owl, Apparently named Heartful, and he flew off. He flew directly to Severus and gave him the note. He skimmed it, flipped it over, and scrawled something quite quick giving it back to Heartful. He flew over and gave me the note. on it was one word. It read:


     Fine.

          

I looked up at him and nodded. He stood up and brushed out of the room into the teacher's meeting room on the side of the head table. Heartful looked at me for a moment, hooted quietly, then flew away following his master.


My apple was eaten and I was full, so I figured that I should leave. Getting Up, I shoved my quill, ink and some extra parchment that I didn't use in my bag. I got up and strode out of the room, hair flowing behind me. I glanced at the grandfather clock in the hall. I had an hour before the carriages left at 11:30. Time to get ready.



© 2012 Abbie


Author's Note

Abbie
hey, please point out any bad spelling or grammar issues. and as always, please review :) all rights to JKR

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ahaha! it sounds like they are a weird type of lovers that writes notes about secret meetings:P only they arent meeting in secret... and arent... lovers... hmm... well you know what I mean! Anyways I liked the chapter! the font is a little bit big tho. I'd try a differnt one it might make the italized font a bit more noticable also. Anyways no spelling mistakes that I can see^_^ good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Abbie

11 Years Ago

xD yep, I know what you mean. it was kinda supposed to be like that messaging each other with nobody.. read more
I really enjoyed reading this. My intent was to look for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, but I lost myself in your story. No mistakes jumped out at me, though, so it is quite likely that there weren't many.

I would consider changing your opening line. I reread the sentence several times trying to guess what you meant. In my opinion, a reader should never be made to guess. Did the statement "that sums up our to-do on the meeting" mean that you had covered everything in a specific 'to-do' list? Or did you mean something more general, something like, "that sums up the boring bits"? I'm not sure. If the meaning is getting lost in translation, you'll have to forgive me. I'm Australian. We believe in the beer fairy and drop-bears.

Your characters are intelligent and well-spoken, but take care that it doesn't sound like their mouths have an auto-format function. If the dialogue is too correct and formal the characters will sound stiff and unrealistic.

I also have a suggestion to make on a trivial matter. Consider formatting your page so that the letters are indented some way from either margin. I think that would mark out the passages that are letters. I think your reader will thank you for the visual clue.

Really, really well done. Keep writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was a great chapter but I just wanted to point out one or two things first.
When you have the flashback, the text font changes and it sort of ruins the flow. Further, when Sophora replies to Professor Snape, telling him to meet at the Three Broomsticks, there isn't any gap after her ending statement which you did for all the others.
Also-'his bowl of owl stepped in oatmeal into a quill'
I think you meant to say, 'turned the oatmeal the owl had landed in, into a quill.' Or something along those lines.
'After a few bites The owl came back to me' Just needed to lose the capitalization, here as well-'Getting Up'
Those things aside, I really enjoyed this chapter and overall it was very interesting and engaging. In particular I liked the beginning, I found it really got me wanting to read more. So, anyway. Great chapter again :) Keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wut? It must be me but I barely see any errors :) ButI couldnt help thinking how this would be if they were humans in a regular school. Snape texting? Glub that would be kinda hilarious. But anyway this is great so far :) I really wanna know what Snape's gotta say.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great chapter XD Keep it up. I love it so far.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I never read or watched Harry Potter, so I was somewhat lost in this. xD Anyways, in some places its just a mouthful of unnecessary words, and ruins the flow for me. For example, the repeat of what his oatmeal and coffee turned into, I already knew so it wasn't really necessary to repeat it. Also, when the girl talks to people, even in a flashback, there will be dialogue. The flashback felt more like she was telling what happened rather reliving it, therefore not making it a flashback.
Besides those couple of errors, you did a nice job. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


liking the plot! Great chapter! CAn't wait for more!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

491 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2012
Last Updated on August 13, 2012
Tags: snape, severus, snakes, heart, flashback, letter, hogwarts, slytherin


Author

Abbie
Abbie

MA



About
hey guys! I'm Abbie :) about me: I'm fourteen I love to read I love to write I like anime I'm in the eight grade, soon to be ninth I want to be a teacher when i grow up I also want to pub.. more..

Writing
Fall of Angels Fall of Angels

A Poem by Abbie


Her Fall Her Fall

A Poem by Abbie


Honesty Honesty

A Poem by Abbie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


One Direction One Direction

A Story by AK