Observations

Observations

A Poem by Hilarie.Hope
"

Floating thoughts of strangers. A poem? Perhaps.

"

Do you ever wonder about the people you see on the street? Could you tell what they were feeling? Were their cheeks rosy? Did they have smiles lit a hundred watts with joy? Did they share them with passersby? Or keep them to themselves, a small, private secret only for their enjoyment? Or were they down and morose? With their eyes thrown downward and tears screaming to be cast out? And if they were unhappy, did you lend an encouraging smile or word? A pat on the back? A hug? Or did you walk right past, no eye contact? “It’s not my problem.” Or maybe you saw a girl. Her outfit was perfect. Her hair. Makeup. Skin. Simply impeccable. Her lips were curled up at the corners in a beaming grin. Then you looked in her eyes, and her façade of happiness crashed and burned. Because behind her walls was something dead, laying there decomposing, as her heart was continuously stepped on and shattered. You probably saw a happy couple. A young man. A young woman. Hand in hand and you could practically see the fireworks shoot in the air as they looked in each other’s eyes. Maybe it was a wistful reminder of your own lover. Or maybe it created a longing deep inside for that kind of sweet puppy love. Perhaps you saw two friends having a screaming match on the sidewalk. Did your brow furrow as you wondered what the motivation was behind such hateful words? Have you ever smiled at a stranger? Smiles are contagious, you know. And when I say smile, I mean really smile? Gave it your all? Go for the gold and all that jazz? Did they smile back? How was their smile? Weak and unsure? Or brilliant and confident? Did you make generalizations about the young woman in scandalous clothing? “Oh, she’s such a w***e.” Maybe she’s a virgin. Maybe she’s never even been kissed. Although that girl, the one in the school uniform, with her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail, glasses, a beanpole. Yeah, that one. She slept with the whole football team. Or maybe that “goth” girl standing on the corner. Oh, she must do drugs. She’s flunking out of school. You know what? She’s never even touched a cigarette, and she’s got straight As. When you look at people, are you curious and open? Or are you timid and judgmental? You could turn someone’s day around with the right look, the right posture, the right “Hello. Lovely day, isn’t it?” as you flash a genuine grin. Do you think these people noticed you at all? Or were you just a blip in their vision? And if they did notice, if they did take a second look, did they like what they saw? Or not? Did you appear friendly, amiable, and good? Or did you appear as someone with a venomous heart and cold eyes? Were you a person they might like to meet? Or someone they hope never to stand next to again? What do you think?

© 2008 Hilarie.Hope


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh you have captured the reality of the social world with out error!
Society walks through life with their heads hung low and looked strait ahead. They have so much fear in them that they wouldn't, and couldn't say hello, wave or smile at a stranger.
Its a shame that so many people are like that.
Thank you for sharing your observations! Believe me, you are not along in what you see as wrong or off in modern society.
As to the form of your work. it works as is, or you might try breaking it up a little. But i like it either way!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is a nice piece my only suggestion is to format it so that it is easier on the eyes
the social world can be a cruel place
most ignore the whole world that surrounds us on a daily basis, it's nice to think of what some radom person might be going through that day
great as it stands but reformatted would be exceptional
thank you for entering my contest

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh you have captured the reality of the social world with out error!
Society walks through life with their heads hung low and looked strait ahead. They have so much fear in them that they wouldn't, and couldn't say hello, wave or smile at a stranger.
Its a shame that so many people are like that.
Thank you for sharing your observations! Believe me, you are not along in what you see as wrong or off in modern society.
As to the form of your work. it works as is, or you might try breaking it up a little. But i like it either way!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008

Author

Hilarie.Hope
Hilarie.Hope

Corvallis, OR



About
A cigarette is the perfect type of perfect pleasure. It is exquisite and yet leaves one unsatisfied. What more could one want? - Oscar Wilde ~~ .. more..

Writing