LESSON-ONE GRAVEYARD

LESSON-ONE GRAVEYARD

A Story by JENY
"

A clergy man's philosophical exploration

"

                            LESSON ONE-GRAVEYARD

               

                                      I don’t know where to begin. Still I must begin somewhere. It all began on that sleepless night on April 2008. I don’t know what prompted me to do so. The senior vicar had been away. As as assistant vicar I was in charge of loneliness that overflowed from the graveyard and pervaded our dwelling.

                       Once you are in perfect loneliness it is natural that we will have a tendency to come out of it. Because loneliness becomes annoying when we go below our optimal level of arousal. So I must warm my whole being with something noisy.

                        Listening to music, alone, excites hidden emotions. Watching TV may end up in masturbation. These two are not welcome for a priest’s life. Thought of praying but I was not in that mood. I must do something different.

                        How the idea of walking alone in the graveyard in midnight entered into my mind, I am not sure. But determined to spend some time with dead I set out. It was pitching dark. I am not going to explain my adventure as they do in horror stories. Actually I was thinking of so called philosophical theories of death that we learned in seminary.

                          As I reached near the entrance of cemetery I saw a candle burning inside through the chinks of the age old door made of wood and tin sheets. As you expect, I was not taken aback. I wanted to see what is happening. I opened the lock of door and pulled it open. The candle was soon blown out and I heard foot steps hurrying northward. It was a moonless night and I began to pace leisurely among the tombs.

                               I do not believe in ghosts and their ilk. But the image of burning candle light in my brain needed clarification. I walked in the north direction, taking care not to step my feet on the dead bodies resting beneath the ground. Again I heard footsteps as if running away from me. I quickened my pace in the same direction. After 15 feet it is the wall of cemetery beyond which nobody can run toward north. The runner will have to move either to left or to right or jump over the wall to other side. I almost hit the wall in the darkness, my hands hit upon a human body not dead but alive.

      

 

          “who are you” I asked grasping his arms in the tight grip of my fist and later I took control of his whole body that he was almost immobile.

             “I am Fr John your superior” the thick sober voice replied

“But father you told me that you are going to see bishop and …”

“Yes I told you…” he intervened before I could finish.

“Then why are you here father”

“Why are you here?” he threw the question upon me. Father John should have smiled. In the darkness I couldn’t make out.

                         We stood there for some time in mutual awareness. A new brotherhood dawned upon us. It was only a part our self learning to have the power to transcend the fear. Fear of loss of worldly things, loss of our possessions; induce our self with transient nature of life on the surface of earth. To woo death long before it actually comes to claim our life. Just like Christ.

            You know, dead can teach you more about life.

© 2010 JENY


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

dead can teach us more about life .. how true .. to get detached from all the worldly feelings and realise the futile nature of our lives ..

just a point though - kindly do a bit of editing for the grammatical errors that creep in at times

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was so original, so thoughtful, deep and something which can teach us so much.
"dead can teach you more about life." - How true and how real these lines are.
Very well written


Posted 13 Years Ago


I almost didn't read this, out of fatigue, but I'm sure glad I did. The story was interesting enough to keep me wanting to read it throughout. Very good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


a very powerful write:) excellent work there

Posted 14 Years Ago


Interesting. I would expand on this, see where you could take it. Be interested seeing where it went myself.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I agree with Coyote. This is really good.

Posted 14 Years Ago


The story is very good. I had to read the story a few times. The description and the conversation was very good on the story. I like your ending. The dead can educate us. Many do.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

668 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2010
Last Updated on April 19, 2010
Tags: Religion, philosophy

Author

JENY
JENY

Kerala, Thrissur, India



About
friends I am back... more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by JENY


RESEARCH RESEARCH

A Poem by JENY


IF YOU LEAVE ME IF YOU LEAVE ME

A Poem by JENY



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..