DIARY OF AN OUTDATED MOTHER

DIARY OF AN OUTDATED MOTHER

A Chapter by JENY
"

In India supreme court verdict that pre-marital sex is an individual right raises a havoc among middle classed conservatives who value virginity important and sacred in a married life.

"

           DIARY OF AN OUTDATED MOTHER

                     Sitting in the corner of the bedroom of my home in a village, situated northern most part of Indian Republic, I think of Supreme Court far away from me in the south. I wonder weather Kushboo has a daughter.

            My daughter Kadeeja, I wish she didn’t read the verdict of Supreme Court. She entered into her first menstruation cycle in November this year. She is growing too fast and nowadays she spends a lot of time in front of mirror.

                  She studies well. Her ambition is to become computer engineer. For that she will have to go to colleges in the town. This thought annoys me. Even causes butterflies in my stomach. If I dissuade her, she will never pardon me in this life. After all what reason I am going to put forward for dissuading her from her life’s ambitions?

                           I would like to discuss my thoughts with her dad. But he is too busy. He thinks that whole responsibility of girls is incumbent on mothers. If girl is good in character, credit goes to mother. If girl gets defiled, mother is anointed with accusations.

                         I would like to discuss my misgivings with somebody. The other day when I tried to mention it to Jameela my friend and neighbor, she seemed little interested. Nowadays nobody is interested in others anxieties if it matter them little. Altogether I feel shrouded by a bitter sense of helplessness. Perhaps I am very much outdated. But how can the world develop to such a state where pre marital sex is considered as normal as after marital sex.

                               If the bride groom ask for proof for the blood stain of first intercourse in the first night where shall these girls procure it from? Perhaps they might not ask for it. All these seem like a conspiracy, collusion against the sacred concept of virginity. Allah….!!!

                            It is only last weak I noticed that I have begun to ask explanation for her late coming, for her lethargy over studies, her tuition class news in which she mentioned boys…and such many things . It irritates her a lot. I knew it. And, sometimes I feel that she share less and less about her student life. I feel more insecure and helpless. Our relationship has begun to suffer because of these things.

                             I wish I had my mother to depend upon. She could have suggested some solution for my dilemma. I wish my girl was poor in her studies so that I can give her in marriage after her 10nth grade. I wish I knew how to guide my girl in this corrupt world. I wish, God hadn’t given me a girl at all. 



© 2010 JENY


Author's Note

JENY
In India supreme court verdict that pre-marital sex is an individual right raises a havoc among middle classed conservatives who value virginity of bride as most important and sacred in a married life. A film star named Kushboo is the first person who proclaimed it in public and controversy that ensued traveled till Supreme Court.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
Added on May 5, 2010
Last Updated on May 5, 2010
Tags: society


Author

JENY
JENY

Kerala, Thrissur, India



About
friends I am back... more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by JENY


RESEARCH RESEARCH

A Poem by JENY


IF YOU LEAVE ME IF YOU LEAVE ME

A Poem by JENY