TWO COLLEAGUES

TWO COLLEAGUES

A Story by JENY
"

About the co operation of two colleagues

"

TWO COLLEAGUES

The sexagenarian librarian Kabilsu stole a glance at the newly appointed assistant. A lady of 21, beautiful, fresh from college, techno savvy. She sat at her table with a computer staring exclusively at her with its huge single eye monitor as if not at all interested in Kalibasu whose table was about 10 yards away from that of lady.

For nearly 30 years there hadn’t anybody to assist him. He was comfortable with his unique position in the library. But now, the owner of library Kovilan, a renowned writer of Malayalam literature feels that Kabilasu is not competent. Not that he is old and unable to keep library but he is not computer savvy.

Kalibasu said nothing when the renowned writer told him about the computer and the lady. But somewhere in the corner of his mind a pain gnawed him. He asked himself why he should bother when he would be paid as before for his job.

Kabilsu wanted to know the name of the lady but decided to ask later. Lady seemed to be busy with her computer. There was nobody but a peon in addition to the lady and Kabilsu.

He got up from his seat and walked towards shelf and checked the new arrivals. He had to enter them into catalogue. Arrange them in the shelf in accordance with their genre. To his astonishment there weren’t any new arrivals. Not even magazines. He called out for the peon. The boy came running; he was cleaning the floor and the courtyard before the knowledge hungry people streaming in to the library and sit for a long time reading, as if melted in the silence that pervaded the hall stacked with shelves.

“Where are the new arrivals?” Kabilsu asked impatiently, there appeared furrows of irritation on his forehead.

“Latha madom took everything” boy replied.

“Which Lath?” asked Kabilsu distastefully

“That new madam…”boy pointed towards Kabilsu’s office.

“Who told her to take them?” his voice now prerogative of a man who worked in that mansion of knowledge for 30 years.

“Manager sir had come in the morning and it is with his permission Latha madam took new arrivals” boy said in a tone as humble as it fell upon the ears of Kabilsu.

The old man felt his veins loosening. A cold sensation crawled across them. He felt so tired. The tomes in the shelves seemed to be mocking at him. He could hear them laugh. The smell of moth balls that he kept regularly in the shelves to chase away intruders like starfish for decades on end, now seemed to arouse in him a squeamish sensation.

He sat on the chair. The sweat on his forehead fell upon the wooden table. He was gasping for breath.

He asked himself “What’s wrong?”

“Why am I in such panic? Why, after all theses things are not supposed to be under my protégé till the end of universe…. Then why should I panic?”

But his aging body didn’t seem to listen to his reasoning mind. His throat went dry. He gasped for breath. He laid his head on the table and closed his eyes.

How long he rested there is not sure to him. He was awakened by somebody’s hand upon his shoulder from back. He raised his head and turned back. It was the lady, Latha. He gazed at her dubiously.

“What?” he asked in a tedious tone.

“Uncle, are you ok?” she asked.

His lips quivered. He wanted to say yes.

She sat on the chair near him that was meant for customers.

“Uncle, if you don’t mind, I will teach you computer.”

“What?” he asked.

“I will teach you how to operate the computer”. She pointed her forefinger towards computer on her table.

“At this age? Computer?” creases gathered on the forehead of the old man.

“There is no age for learning if you are ready.” She said assuredly.

Kalibasu looked at the lady in disbelief.

Lady chalked out a plan. They decided to set apart one hour each day to learn computer while customers were nearly few. Old man suggested afternoon time. She was happy that it was the time when she had a temptation for a nap.

After 3 months the old man picked up essential of computer and is now as proficient as the lady in the management of library using computer.

One day he asked the lady….

“Dear daughter do you know what is that you taught me?”

“Computer, what else?”

“No” said the old man

“Then what?” she asked.

“You taught me that, I can learn anything if I am willing”

She laughed in gratitude. He too.

© 2010 JENY


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on June 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 10, 2010
Tags: Friendship

Author

JENY
JENY

Kerala, Thrissur, India



About
friends I am back... more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by JENY


RESEARCH RESEARCH

A Poem by JENY


IF YOU LEAVE ME IF YOU LEAVE ME

A Poem by JENY