Memories

Memories

A Story by Samantha Jenkins
"

The person I miss more than life itself, my grandmother

"

Having a hole in your heart when you miss someone or something, is hard.


The only person I can say I miss is the woman, my grandmother was before dementia set in. She has been one of my closest friends, she was more than a grandmother. She might not have spoiled me with tangible things but she did with her love and attention. When I was younger I would spend weeks with her in the summer, and I always had the best time. We would go out to eat too like Mcdonald's and she would take me out shopping for something. We played games, mostly card games and she did not always win but she would always keep playing.


One memory though I do have, and I regret and it will leave my heart cracked since it happened. One time I spent a week over and we got into a fight over something I can not remember what it was but I told her I hated her and I could see in her look I broke her heart. We both wept, hugged and said we loved each other. Even though I know she can not remember it, I will for the rest of my life.


I saw such a change, once we discovered she had dementia, it broke my heart worse than ever. She can not live on her own, and she wants to go back to living alone. She is depressed all the time, worse than she was before which breaks my heart. She might not remember everything and I are fine with that I just want to be with her when I can. Even though I am busy I am willing to go see her.


Many people in that home that no one visits and they will die alone there. Even though my grandmother may think she will die alone, she will not.


That was the worst heartbreak, watching my grandmother turn into the woman she is.

© 2016 Samantha Jenkins


Author's Note

Samantha Jenkins
Another Journal prompt, I am not sure why but I am enjoying writing these.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sad. There are some grammatical issues--mostly missing or misplaced commas--but those are little things that would be easy to fix.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Its difficult to lose someone to dementia. Its like they're there, but they're not.... but they are! Its tough. All you can do is try to make her as comfortable as you can and give her the same love she gave you even if she cannot recognize it to it's fullest extent.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Samantha Jenkins

7 Years Ago

I feel like she knows that I love her a lot. I just feel bad because I know she is depressed there a.. read more
I've never had the misfortune of losing someone to dementia or to death, my heart goes out to you. Your piece has a lot of detail. One suggestion I do have though is to add more emotion. When I say this, I mean use more showing than telling. There is a lot of stating/statements being done. It can distance a reader from your work. You do have an eye for detail and that seems to be one of your strengths. Try working that into showing rather than telling. Keep up the hard work! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Samantha Jenkins

7 Years Ago

I have such a hard time showing people then telling people.

I honestly think, seeing.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 13, 2016
Last Updated on July 13, 2016

Author

Samantha Jenkins
Samantha Jenkins

About
Sitting down, head filled with thoughts, notebooks filled with ramblings to be sorted, a blank sheet of paper ready for a story to unfold. I am a dreamer, a human that makes mistakes, one willing t.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Samantha Jenkins