Baby Doll

Baby Doll

A Story by Storyshucker
"

Hard to believe my daughter will soon be off to college. I still think of her as a tiny Baby Doll.

"

My four year old daughter, Greer, resisted a bit when I told her bath time was over. After I’d scrubbed dirt from her that only a four year old could accumulate, she quietly played with her bath toys. For a good twenty minutes she casually poured water from a plastic toy telephone into a pink Barbie car, back and forth, until I urged her again to get out of the tub.


“Come on Baby Doll.” I said, using the nickname I’d given her the day we brought her home from the hospital.


I helped her from the tub and draped her with a towel warm from the dryer. That was something I began doing for her and my son Evan when I noticed their tiny teeth chattered the instant they stepped from the warm bath water. She hugged the warm towel and pulled it over her head as she spoke, mispronouncing her thanks as only a four year old comically could.


I couldn’t see her face but I could tell her lips were quivering.


“Tattoo Daddy.”


“You’re welcome Baby Doll.” I admit I choked back tears in the sweetness of the moment.


That was almost fifteen years ago.


During most of those years I continued to call her “Baby Doll”. I slowed up some when she became a teenager and the dramatic rolling of her eyes indicated she preferred to be called by her real name. At least in front of her friends.


As years passed I’d often recount the bath tub story and how she’d thanked me for the towel. She had no memory of that but thought it funny. “Tattoo Daddy” became her thanks to me again for a few years as our own inside joke. In recent years, however, both “Tattoo Daddy” and “Baby Doll” slowly faded away.


Greer is eighteen now. She drives her own car, the pink Barbie car from the bath tub a relic of the past and recently she called me on her iPhone, which has replaced her long gone plastic toy telephone. She called to talk about paperwork she needed for college admission and during the course of that conversation we also discussed how time has flown by so quickly.


That tiny baby girl we brought home from the hospital is now about to embark on a very big milestone in her life. I used to laugh at other parents when they became emotional about their children going to college. How silly, I thought.


It’s not silly.


We didn’t bring up the bath tub story, but Greer and I reminisced about a lot of things during that one phone call. I was impressed with her maturity, happy she remembered fun childhood moments, and surprised by the emotion in her voice.


Focusing back to the business of college paperwork I told her not to worry. Even though I was in denial that my tiny baby girl was about to set off into the real world, I would certainly get everything back to her as soon as I could. She probably heard the emotion in my voice as I told her I would do anything she needed. There was a momentary pause on the line.


I couldn’t see her face but I could tell her lips were quivering.


“Tattoo Daddy.”


“You’re welcome Baby Doll.” I admit I choked back tears in the sweetness of the moment.


Stuart M. Perkins

© 2015 Storyshucker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very moving. I can certainly relate, having a daughter who flew the nest not long ago. not to college though. sadly, a step further, to her husband's home. but, hey, that life!! let's just grin and bear it.
I really enjoyed this little "confession".

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on April 25, 2015
Last Updated on April 25, 2015
Tags: college, daughter, childhood, time, youth, father

Author

Storyshucker
Storyshucker

Alexandria, VA



About
Stuart M. Perkins is originally from Richmond, Virginia. He enjoys relating his observations of daily life and recollections of growing up in a large family surrounded by cousins and animals. Everyday.. more..

Writing