The Drugs Do Work

The Drugs Do Work

A Story by Tyler James
"

Life is there to be lived, ignoring taboo and gaining knowledge

"

All four of us sit in the same room. It's an extension to the back of the house, made into a second living room, except messier and a little more comfortable. We have arranged the seats, two armchairs and a sofa into a makeshift triangle because it makes us feel closer together, like we are all in this as one. I can almost feel the ice coldness of the palms of their hands radiating towards me. Then again, it may just be my emotions playing tricks on me.
 

A huge black bookcase covers one wall. It is filled with empty beer cans and empty bottles of spirits like vodka and tequila along with other mind numbing 'makes you lose your inhibition' fluids.  We've each had two pills. We sit smiling at one another feeling the drugs affecting our bodies, running through our bloodstreams. It's been ten minutes since the last one, we talk with stutters and our teeth chatter as we bite down on them, the slang name for this is 'gurning.' It could really f**k up your teeth but it doesn't matter. Only the people in this room know what we are doing and we all love it, what we have taken what we have done, we love it. Nothing matters right now. We all love one another and everything around us, we feel close to everyone and this is the bond that binds us.

We are in a safe place, a safe house where we can enjoy it all without been interrupted by parents or any officers of the law who just might happen to be in the neighbourhood. We are inside my friends' house. He rents it from his mum who lives abroad. It's a big house, plenty of room, four bedrooms, and even an en-suite in one of them.

I stop thinking as I try to focus on my friend opposite through my dilated pupils, 'mydriasis' has kicked in. His black hair blurs my picture and his cheeks look to have sunk themselves in. He's smiling like one of my favourite old cartoon characters, the dog who grins and chuckles as he and his owner race other characters. I think it was my first taste of what hustling is. Either that or they were trying to take over the world, I can't remember clearly enough. They were supposed to be nasty but all the kids I knew loved them.

I strain my eyes to focus, I'm afraid of the light but I want it to happen. I strain force stare I want it to happen and it does. Thank god yes it happens. My eyes shake from side to side, unnatural and fast, everything in front of me blurs to the point of abstraction. It lasts only a few seconds but it's my favourite part of taking these pills.

The pills we have taken today are called 'Rolex's,' another name for ecstasy. All around the country people name them different things, E, pills, brownies, Mitsubishi's, Dolphins, XTC but here we call them Rolex's. The little off white coloured white pills with an imprint of a crown or hand type thing upon them, the two pound things that keep us awake all night and turn us back into what we once where, into gargling non cohesive happy little babies, into children who just want affection from the people around them, yet to be corrupted by society, playing stupid pointless games that mean everything and make us feel like we are floating, like we are angels, like nothing matters, yesterday or tomorrow, like nothing ever will matter ever again as we live for this moment and this night, as the drugs chase us to the edge of oblivion before starting the long haul back towards paranoia

© 2008 Tyler James


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this, love it! Truth revealed in all its glory. You had me right with you and that is the one drug I have not tasted of. Though, my son and his friends relished in it. Had my son not been arrested the night of th Seattle murders he would have been at that exact house dead! Your first line is so profound. Paranoia. Seems many drugs lead to this end. I am glad you wrote this now please post it on myspace a big ol bulletin under my name if you wish. It all starts out great, then slowly and surely the great is not there as it was. Good topic great write.

Peace Roxy

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Its nice to that you can be honest, and share your wonderful, and never-forgetful experience. I have never done this type of drug, but do know a few who have. I have heard good and bad things about this drug and it is great to hear that you have had a wonderful experience, uninterputed my parents, YAY!!! Paranoia comes with just about any illegal drug, all you can do is trust in yourself and those you are associated with. All will be fine in the end. Keep on the good time! And stay safe doing it!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Sandra K!
xoxo



Posted 15 Years Ago


Well Tyler...I hope this is fiction? I somehow doubt it though. Ecstasy/paranoia...weed/paranoia...I could go on and on, but I'm sure you know the facts and stats. From a writing point of view I think your narrative is extremely impressive, a few typos, but on the whole a great effort re; format and block paragraphing, which is my preferred way of setting out narrative. I guess you could call this a teaching piece and judging by your reviews to date I would say that is where you are going with this.
A bold and courageous write containing much detail about a problem that is out of control everywhere.
Cheers,
Helen :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hmmm??? is reality the paranoia? Is the dream life and life the dream? Never done tht drug... did many others in my day... its a good story...Kinda... learyish!

Posted 15 Years Ago


a great write. i could feel the drugs bumping through my my veins as you told this story. it's a perfect description of why people do drugs but you don't tell it that way, it's just conveyed.

"...like vodka and tequila along with other mind numbing 'makes you lose your inhibition' fluids. "

great line there.

"we live for this moment and this night, as the drugs chase us to the edge of oblivion before starting the long haul back towards paranoia"

exactly the reason why i would love to escape to these drugs but also the very same reason that i choose not to. funny how that works? you've really crafted a piece that sticks here. i'm excited to read your other works.......

(see, i told you that i would eventually review your writing!)
well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


I love this, love it! Truth revealed in all its glory. You had me right with you and that is the one drug I have not tasted of. Though, my son and his friends relished in it. Had my son not been arrested the night of th Seattle murders he would have been at that exact house dead! Your first line is so profound. Paranoia. Seems many drugs lead to this end. I am glad you wrote this now please post it on myspace a big ol bulletin under my name if you wish. It all starts out great, then slowly and surely the great is not there as it was. Good topic great write.

Peace Roxy

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ok first paragraph was good at the start. Then I hit this sentence "I can almost feel the ice coldness of each of the palms of their hands radiating towards me" Please try and fix it, to much of. Try and constuct it differently.

Other than that I actually love this story. I don't agree with drugs, or druggies in usual (I live a straight edge life), but this story has given me insight. Not like I'm out to make friends with every druggie I meet now. Stories like this can make people into great writers.

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i can relate to this in so many ways, i think it's a great attempt reason being i think it can take some editing, but it's brillaint concept wise, but check the dialogue and fine tune it, cheers bro!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've never done drugs being only fifteen and hope I never do. This is a very descriptive piece and I found the way you portrayed your feelings and the way you described the scene was very good and seemed incredibly realistic.



Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I havent really done drugs, only marijuana. but know people who have done way more. This story is very insightful and descriptive.


Great Write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I've never done drugs, always fear my daughters might, and you have written such a vivid description of
what drugs do, how many there seem to be to take, to escape, frightening really............
but can't fault your writing on this,

I strain my eyes to focus, I'm afraid of the light but I want it to happen. I strain force stare I want it to happen and it does. Thank god yes it happens. My eyes shake from side to side, unnatural and fast, everything in front of me blurs to the point of abstraction. It lasts only a few seconds but it's my favourite part of taking these pills.

Insightful. The way you feel, and how you wait for that moment...........but then there is always the coming down to earth, which I guess must be so unpleasant.
Thank you for asking me to read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2008

Author

Tyler James
Tyler James

Leeds, United Kingdom, United Kingdom



About
There are many reasons you shouldn't like me but most people do. I drink. I smoke. I gamble. I take drugs. I drink until I'm in so much of a stupor that I don't know where I am and then I do drugs t.. more..

Writing
One - Arrival One - Arrival

A Chapter by Tyler James


Two - Journey Two - Journey

A Chapter by Tyler James



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..