A chilly October morning

A chilly October morning

A Story by speakingcolors

It was late in the morning, but the chill still filled our bedroom.  I rolled over and looked at her, the sun light settling on her beautiful face.  God, I loved her.  I could just look at her all day and be happy.  Unable to resist myself any longer, I reached out and brushed back her georgous brunette hair and kissed her on the tip of her nose.  She stirred and blinked her eyes, adjusting to the light.  After a moment, she noticed me looking down at her.  She smiled that smile that said it all, her blue eyes looking so trusting, so innocently back into mine.  How could I have ever gotten so lucky.

 

"Can I tell you a secret?" I asked.

 

She nodded.  I leaned down and put my lips close to her ear.

 

"I love you," I whispered.

 

She blushed and turned away from me a moment.  Turning back to me, she bit her bottom lip and blinked.  I grazed the back of my fingers across her cheek.  She had the softest skin I had ever felt.  Grabbing her in my arms, I rolled over her onto my back, her warm body laying ontop of mine.  Her hair fell over my face and we kissed.

 

"Could we stay here forever?" she asked softly.

 

"Anything for you."

 

She laid her head down on my chest and sighed.  I held onto her, holding her, never wanting to let go.

 

"Want breakfast?"

 

She looked at me and scrunched up her nose.  I gave her my best puppy dog face and she stuck her tounge out at me.  She rolled off me and as she climed out of bed, I smacked her on the butt.  She whipped around and gave me the evil eye but it faded as she began giggling.

 

"I'll make breakfast," she said as she walked out the room.

 

I went into the bathroom and took a quick shower.  Putting on a white undershirt and pajama pants, I went down the stairs.  I walked into the kitchen and she stood at the stove in my light blue dress shirt, her bare legs sticking out the bottom.  She saw me and smiled.  I went up behind her and put my arms around her waist.

 

"You making me scrambled eggs?"

 

She turned her head to me and breathed in deeply.  "Mmm...you smell good."

 

"You smell better."

 

"Oh, shut up," she said as she smacked me on my shoulder.

 

I grabbed a cup of coffee and the paper and sat down at our round kitchen table.  A minute later she came and put the plate of food in front of me and leaned on my back.

 

"Enjoy."

 

She walked around me and sat down in the chair next to me, but turned it so she could watch me.  As I took a bite of the eggs and toast she put her hands together.

 

"Are they good?"

 

"They're wonderful."

 

She smiled and got up from the table and walked across the room.

 

"We have a message."

 

She pushed the button and the machine beeped, playing back his voice.

 

(BEEP)

"Hello Ben and Grace, this is Dr. Holland (sigh).  Grace, we got your test results back from the lab (pause).  I'm sorry, but, but they were positive (sigh).  If you could give me a call back so that we can set up a time to meet to discuss procedure and everything else.  I, umm, whenever will be good for you.  I'm so sorry."

(BEEP)

 

.....

 

It only took four months for the cancer to take her.  She died on a chilly October morning.

© 2011 speakingcolors


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Writing this now, i have the chills. I can't beleive the endin.. found it sou sad.
It was a nice stpry though, certainly worth reading. When the message started out, I thought that they were getting results for something haveing to do with an STD for some reason. I don't know why.

But clearly it was something much more meaningful.
Fantastic story and I thank you dearly for the reviews.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Omg. that was sooo sad soo breath taking i still have chills!!!!! thanks for entering this in my contest "hearts on fire"

Posted 15 Years Ago


God...
It's horrible to realise that thing like this happen. The small story you put togheter helps the reader make out jut how much pain such an event causes.

Great write.

A.M.

Posted 15 Years Ago


lovely. lovely and heartbreaking. they really had a life together, and i like how you showed that. great writing as always!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. I just might cry.. this was so nice. so sad yet so beautiful. :'D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Writing this now, i have the chills. I can't beleive the endin.. found it sou sad.
It was a nice stpry though, certainly worth reading. When the message started out, I thought that they were getting results for something haveing to do with an STD for some reason. I don't know why.

But clearly it was something much more meaningful.
Fantastic story and I thank you dearly for the reviews.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, how sad! An interesting piece of writing; I liked how you added the voicemail; it made it very real. Thank you so much for sharing. Flora.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 22, 2011

Author

speakingcolors
speakingcolors

somewhere outside looking in, PA



About
poet/songwriter/author sometimes I feel so much it hurts. i have all these thoughts running through my head, little segments of a whole that i can't see. most of them never get put down in writ.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..