Tribute to a True Friend

Tribute to a True Friend

A Story by SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
"

I first wrote this on April 18, 2012 on what would've been my friend Jenna's birthday in my Facebook notes for my friend Jenna, who died very suddenly and much too young.

"

Jenna, today should have been your birthday. I wish so badly that I could be writing a HBD or something to that effect on your wall and asking how everything's been on your end and other things to that effect. Instead, you're gone from this world forever ]= You made a  huge difference in my life while you were here, especially in second/third grade and then from seventh through twelfth when we ended up as Latinists along with Tela, Kaitlyn  and some other awesome people. 

 

 

RIP.

 

I'm wondering if you've met the other wonderful people I've lost... whether you're playing with Alyssa (my first-ever friend, I met her in kindergarten. We were in the same homeless shelter and had so much fun annoying her big brother and making up games to play since almost all of the toys were broken and the games were missing pieces. I know Jenna is the type who would be awesome ) Have you met Al, a family friend that ended up very close to not only me but even my mom, and are you talking to him about Key Club, hearing his Kiwanis stories and then discussing everything you have done in the effort to make a positive difference in the world?  Have you met John wherever you all are now, and having an amazing conversation about punk, metal, and other such awesome music as John and I used to on FB and AIM?

 

All of them would have loved you, as so many people you did know in life do. You will never be forgotten, not while we live, and I know there are countless others for whom you gave a beacon of light and hope in the darkness who have never even heard the name Jenna Morris yet who had their lives touched by you. You never once expected any kind of credit, either. You went through so much yet still had a positive influence in the lives of others. 

 

You literally saved my life, though I never told you this. I never told you what I was considering at several points of high school, especially 12th grade. However, actions speak louder than words. I do not know whether you sensed I was in terrible danger from myself, but you were kind when everyone else, even people who were supposed to be my friends, were being outright hateful for various reasons... or perhaps you, like my track coach and a couple of my friends after she asked about it with them, saw that I wasn't exactly as healthy-looking as I usually was to say the least... or you just sensed it, noticed that my smiles were very, very fake. (Most people are deceived by my smiles and laughs..... many times they are genuine but there have certanly been plenty of times they were a mere facade). You saw I needed love desperately, and gave me that love and friendship despite the fact that when I am depressed and especially depressed and self-destructive at the same time, I am definitely not the easiest person to deal with.  You were also there in middle school when I literally had no friends, and you had nothing to gain to being nice to the grade loser except scorn and contempt from others. You almost definitely, along with my friend Linda, delayed the results of the drawn-out trauma that was middle school and everything that happened to me then,  for had they come sooner, I lliterally might not have survived high school. 

 

You had a  heart for the friendless (like I was) and for the homeless, and for animals, and for children who have been deprived of the basic rights that all humans, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, income, or anything else not within their locus of control, have.

 

Only the good die young.

© 2013 SpeedyHobbit Armstrong


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Verry calm and painful, This has the embodyment of friendship...I think that i said that right at least...you get the point...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Oh ... I have nothing to say

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow, no reviews of this heartfelt momento mori? You have seemingly had a great number of friends die. Maybe not all were close, but it must effect you. Your friend Jenna seems like a loss to this world, but we can only hope she is a boon to the next!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 24, 2013
Last Updated on November 24, 2013
Tags: loss, grief, RIP, remembering, friend, friendship, sudden death, death, dying, loss of a loved one, middle school, high school, nostalgia, memories

Author

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

Long Island, NY



About
My name is Cher Armstrong, also known as Speedy Hobbit. I'm a USATF athlete in racewalking for the Raleigh Walkers club team. I just graduated from Queens College in Queens borough in New York Ci.. more..

Writing