Secrets and Arguments

Secrets and Arguments

A Chapter by SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
"

"Without another look their way, Folco hastened to the cart. When would this end? When would the latest political situation in Drémeadow be announced? The last thing he needed was his friends angry."

"

            On Wednesday morning, Folco awoke in the best mood he’d had since lunch hour on Monday. He’d managed to get the homework from both last night and the night before done, and for once he hadn’t even needed to ask any of the servants or older siblings for help. Even better, he’d seen Odo, who regularly mocked him for his struggles with arithmetic and continental history, sitting with their tutor Quince for over two hours before he finally understood whatever it was the U5 students were doing in their grammar class. Folco smiled with satisfaction, remembering how puzzled he’d looked. Perhaps now his older brother would think twice before teasing him about his having trouble with mathematics! If not, well, he could just point out that at least he was better at grammar, vocabulary and spelling despite being four years younger.


After a long while gathering his belongings for school and selecting an outfit, Folco approached his family’s large dining hall to hear raised voices through the closed door. It sounded like both of his parents and Xenia were going at it once more. He sighed as he pushed the door open. So much for being in a good mood today.


The rest of his family was already at the circular table the Foxtrots used for themselves when they did not have guests.  Nicoletta was pouring milk for everybody. Kara was by Folco’s vacant chair, scooping tea leaves into his cup. “Thank you,” he mumbled, taking his seat between Odo and his mother. His brother nudged him by way of greeting and Nora whispered “you took long enough” but his parents and Xenia were too preoccupied with their latest dispute, apparently about Xenia ignoring their request that she stay home the previous night, to pay the latest arrival any attention.


“I don’t see what the problem is, I was only two miles away! How is my wanting to be with my friends being selfish? What next, I’m selfish for wanting to eat or sleep instead of attending one of those inane conferences where we’re treated to adult hobbits squabbling over silly laws like L1s over a toy?” Folco winced. Just what they all needed, for her to antagonize their father. He might complain about the Council on a frequent basis, but it was one thing for him to do so, quite another for one of Folco’s siblings to remark about their dysfunctional antics. The soon-to-be king managing to keep his temper in check in regards to that comment was nothing short of miraculous.


“You were told to stay home!” their mother snapped. “This is not the time for you to be wandering off doing the gods know what with your friends!”


Xenia let out a low growl. Folco  took a bite of toast, wishing he could go temporarily deaf. The bread tasted like sandpaper. “I’m 23, not a child or teen,” she retorted, “and I can do whatever I please,  I’m a full adult!” The gold in her brown eyes stood out in her ire. “Or have you forgotten I’ve already seen twenty come and go?”


Their father shifted in his seat. Thus far, he’d remained quiet, though Folco knew it would not last considering his eyes showed just as much wrathful gold. Meanwhile, their mother pointed out “that does not make us any less your parents.” Folco exchanged an uncomfortable glance with Odo. Both knew from experience that Xenia would only be more defiant with that sort of rejoinder.


Sure enough, Xenia’s infuriated response was “always the same, you resort to that BRILLIANT argument just because you can’t admit you’re wrong, you really think that’ll work on me!  By the gods, I could do whatever I want whenever I want without answering to anyone at university, without you…!” She stopped mid-sentence, looking stricken. Please don’t say anything, Folco silently implored, already knowing his nonverbal pleas were futile. The second of his three sisters liked to always have the last word- a trait inherited from their father. It was an irresistible force meeting an immovable object.


Their father stepped in with a choice comment about her expulsion. Nora muttered something about being full and excused herself from the table. “I’ve got to get to school myself,” Odo mumbled.  “Folco, you coming?” Nodding in gratitude, Folco stood so fast he nearly upset his glass.

~*~*~

            The two brothers were delayed by an impromptu debate among their parents’ staff over the topic of safety. As the servants debated over whether certain areas were advisable to pass through, Folco leaned against the side of the wagon, eyes closed. All of this contention was giving him a headache.


            He felt a nudge in his side. Irritated,  Folco opened his eyes to see his older brother shaking his head. “What do you reckon the chances are that Mother and Father will let us have some say in this?” Odo asked.


           “Less than zero,” the younger Foxtrot responded in a doleful voice, throwing up his hands in a gesture of defeat. “Ought to be interesting trying to explain why we’re late without telling them anything, hmmm? Second day in a row…  Magistra Littleman is going to have a conniption. She hates when students are late.”


            “Don’t all teachers?” Odo pointed out.


            “Well, she’s especially particular about punctuality. Didn’t you have her?”


            “No, I had Magister Tumbleforth, Littleman did U7 when I was your age. I sort of wish I had Littleman though, she's strict but she's serious and teaches useful things. Tumbleforth jokes too much, even Xenia said so, and he panders too much to the daft students. I'm not even wizened old scholar level smart like Xenia and I'm bored.”


            Folco nodded. He personally preferred the sense of humor. “Right, she said last year was her first year with U1s. She’s pretty new, though, isn’t she? Nora and Xenia never had her.”


            “Jillian was one of the students from her first year,” confirmed Odo. “Speaking of Jillers, when d’ya reckon she’ll get back from uni?”


            Folco shrugged. “Dunno. I wouldn’t let Father or Mother overhear you saying d’ya reckon, though.” He assumed the most pompous tone he could. “It is most vulgar and unseemly language for someone of your station.”


            Both lads laughed. Barely able to keep his voice from quivering, Odo replied “you don’t suppose we’re going to have to walk around all day wearing crowns or something on our heads, do you? My head might fall off my neck from the weight! And what if it gets rusted from rain or something? Oh, Odo, why would you do such sacrilege?


            Both lads were still snickering and joking as they reached the schoolhouse a quarter hour after they were due to be there.

~*~*~


            “So has your father decided to relax about being late?” Lindo asked as he, Folco, Rufus and Ted stood in a circle near the school entrance after the dismissal bell rang.


           “What’s that supposed to mean?” Folco snapped. He’d  hitherto been very happy to see his cart wasn’t there yet. It meant he could talk and roughhouse with his group of friends like a normal thirteen-year-old lad. Now he was just annoyed. His friends ought to be glad he was there, considering they were complaining at lunch about his absence most of the week and his teacher had made him stand against the wall as punishment during recess. It was like his friends didn’t even want him around!


            Lindo held up his hands. “Oi, calm down, I’m just saying. It’s not like you. Since when do your parents let you be late or leave early? Don’t they usually go ballistic if they find out any of you aren’t somewhere on time?”


            Folco averted his eyes. He wished they would get back to talking about girls and debating over whether or not they were worth looking at.  However, Lindo pressed on, “something’s up. Say, look at Acacia’s dress today, she looks good in it, doesn’t she?” Rufus and Ted looked her way and promptly lapsed into a conversation about how she looked closer to twenty than ten in it.  Lindo leaned closer to Folco. “You’re acting odder than you do when the Council gets into one of their more severe arguments,” he said quietly. “What’s happened?”


            “I’m not supposed to say,” mumbled Folco, leaning back against the wall. It was then he noticed the familiar cart trundling up the path. “My ride’s here… goodbye everyone…” He swiveled his head toward where his older brother and his friends were throwing rocks at old bottles they’d found in a ditch. “Oi, Odo! Our ride!”  Odo dropped his rock, shook hands with all his friends, and walked toward Folco. “See you all tomorrow…”


            “Folco!” Lindo groaned exasperatedly, slapping his palm against the side of the schoolhouse, “what is going on?”


            The young hobbit that unbeknownst to his friends had just become a prince snapped “See you tomorrow.” Without another look their way, Folco hastened to the cart. When would this end? When would the latest political situation in Drémeadow be announced? The last thing he needed was his friends angry with him.



© 2014 SpeedyHobbit Armstrong


Author's Note

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
Think I ought to combine this with the next chapter (where things finally get moving in Dremeadow with their total government change) or leave this as a brief standalone? Or the previous chapter, which also deals with how Folco and siblings are affected by the bombshell and how it affects interpersonal relations with friends oblivious to what's happening? What did you think of the conversations between Xenia and their parents in morning, Odo and Folco on the ride to school and the one between Folco and his friends after school?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It is very interesting to see the changes that have come about in the family, totally unexpected by all, and seeing how they cope differently is revealing. Well done.
I think this can stand as is, and move on to the political changes in Dremeadow in the next chapter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yes, shall have to think over the beginnings of those and what is revealed to the public right away... read more



Reviews

It is very interesting to see the changes that have come about in the family, totally unexpected by all, and seeing how they cope differently is revealing. Well done.
I think this can stand as is, and move on to the political changes in Dremeadow in the next chapter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yes, shall have to think over the beginnings of those and what is revealed to the public right away... read more
Nice with the scene where Xenia is badgering her father! The whole "I'm an adult, I can do what I want" is a speech I've given my parents before, and I'm twenty! Enjoyed this one a lot!
Well done! :)

-Mila

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yahhh, and she's 23, nearing 24, so even more annoyed xD "i'm not even in university anymore!"
Good stuff. Mark-ups here: https://diigo.com/01xozc

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks, gotta go through these soon! *very late response*
Great work, speedy hobbit, I like the dialogue between the characters, just watch the punctuation in them!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks, I shall have to remember to give this a proofread when I roll around to revise it!
Now why did I not have the opportunity to read this before? I am going back to Chapter One.

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much; I really hope you enjoy it!
This was a great read. Once again your character interactions are wonderful and really pulls you into the story. We've got Xenia's badgering of her father going and Falco's friend's issues going as well.
You have nice amount of rising inter-relationship conflict bubbling up and tons of options to let bombs go off. I'm waiting to see which land mine is triggered first!
Stoked for the next part!

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Glad you see the land mines in the field! *grin* I certainly do intend to plant plenty! I'm also pl.. read more
jjwilbourne

9 Years Ago

Should I start reading fallen ones next?
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yeah that's next in order (= Set five years later
The conversations are very nice. Dialogue is quiet realistic. Keep going :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review! [= Next chapter is in progress!
This seems fine as a chapter of its own if the next chapter is going to be a change of scene. And your dialogue sounds very realistic. It's easy to visualize the conversation. I continue to enjoy the story and it's quite entertaining.

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yeah, it'll definitely be a change of scene, idea and atmosphere. Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

542 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 5, 2014
Last Updated on June 8, 2014
Tags: school, hobbit, teen, fantasy, fiction, drama, friends, argument, family, parents, conversation, teachers


Author

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

Long Island, NY



About
My name is Cher Armstrong, also known as Speedy Hobbit. I'm a USATF athlete in racewalking for the Raleigh Walkers club team. I just graduated from Queens College in Queens borough in New York Ci.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..