A Way With Words

A Way With Words

A Story by spence
"

A story about the power of persuasion, suggestion and the underworld that lives off society without being part of it.

"

The bus was almost filled to capacity when the outlandishly dressed youth stepped on board. Many of the passengers around Hayley took sharp intakes of breath to show their revulsion at the sight of his extrovert appearance. He wore a blue and red checked shirt, torn patched up, dirt encrusted jeans and a garishly coloured orange bandana that only partially obscured his half shaven head. The dyed green strip of hair revealed something of his cultural persuasion as did the loosely laced, scuffed and worn combat boots on his feet.

He spoke briefly to the driver and then appeared to embark without payment; he didn’t take a ticket in any event. This prompted yet more muted murmurs of disapproval from those who witnessed the apparent favouritism, but Hayley stopped paying attention when he ascended the staircase to the top deck.

Strangers began to speak of their offence, as if trying to gather momentum for an impromptu people’s revolt, but Hayley ignored the rising tide of discontent in favour of her book. It had been a long day at college and she didn’t feel the need to court controversy over the possibility that someone had gotten a free ride.

‘Best of luck to him,’ she thought absently, but was soon re-engrossed in Stephen King’s latest fictional offering; determined to complete the next chapter before she reached the stop nearest her home in around ten minutes time.

The complainants’ ineffectual attempts to spark a public transport mutiny quickly faded to a typical awkward unwillingness to take the lead, allowing Hayley’s thoughts to settle into a world of fantasy where the protagonists were always dynamic and pro-active.

Once the heightened tones subsided the usual subdued babble of the home time crowd could not distract her from the tale of a small town inexplicably cut off from the rest of the world and the words had her drifting from this reality to that with the ease of switching television channels.

Hayley read solidly for perhaps a minute before something began to bother her. It was as if someone was calling her name from a great distance, or through a milling crowd but no matter how hard she tried she could not focus on it. She frowned in irritation and closed the book across her thumbs.

‘Have I forgotten something?’ she wondered and quickly glanced around at the oppressed and tired looking people she shared her ride with.

She could not identify the source of the calling, but there was a dreamlike quality to the voice that drowned out all other noise and pulled her thoughts, kicking and screaming, into a stark awareness of the here and now.

Hayley sighed with frustration,

What was it that nagged away at the back of her mind with such urgency?

She listened again- closing her eyes so that she could concentrate on honing in on the niggling manifestation. A man and woman directly behind her were discussing some sort of work related conflict involving a person named Irene while a trio of school kids exchanged ring tones and text jokes from somewhere near the back. The rustle of newspapers accompanied the ‘sniff, gasp and sigh’ inducing articles, that evidently shocked and underwhelmed the readers in equal measure could be heard from all directions while an elderly woman burdened with shopping bags chatted to a young mother at the very front of the bus; the young woman’s child slept in his pushchair as they talked.

Beside them was the stairwell that the punk rocker had taken shortly after gaining free access to the bus and it was this memory that brought realisation to bear. The voice was coming from upstairs and somehow she knew it was the young man who was its owner.

With this assertion made to her self Hayley’s shoulders relaxed from the tensed position she’d not yet realised they were drawn to. It was the voice that caused her discomfort, she mentally assessed. Something about it irked her beyond reason. It was as if it were invading her mind; encroaching on her thoughts and demanding her attention.

She couldn’t make out the words from the deck above, but the tone sounded magnanimously outgoing. The replying voices sounded happy to receive the words he spoke, at least. The longer she eavesdropped the louder the talking from upstairs got; the voice was speaking confidently between interjections of laughter and cheerful approval. It appeared that the young man had become immensely popular in a very short space of time.

‘Is he some sort of entertainer?’

‘Is he a famous person that I don’t recognise?’

Hayley thought of her almost hermit lifestyle; studying to be a carer worker while caring for a terminally ill alcoholic left little time for social niceties- let alone for socialising. She had no friends to speak of, it had been more than a year since she had taken a lover, and her knowledge of current affairs, trends or anything outside of her insular world was almost zero. At the age of twenty three she felt ‘passed it’ already.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if she’d had time to live before becoming embroiled in the seedy sub-world of hedonistic high dependency, but in truth she knew little else. She tried not to resent her mother for the time and opportunities that had passed her by, but she found it increasingly difficult to be tolerant of her demands.

 Just lately Hayley had found that she involuntarily visualised her mother’s death. She scolded herself for such wicked thoughts, but it had gone on for ever so long and Hayley wanted only to live her own life.

In the following moments the voice became more audible as the green haired youth descended the stairwell to the lower deck,

‘Thank you all, take care now,’ he said cheerfully- the leather of his boots emerging from the edge of the grey partition between stairs and lower deck.

Hayley stared hard as he lowered himself to her level, but then looked back to her book when she saw that he did not intend, as she had first assumed, to alight from the vehicle. Instead he turned to face the passengers of the lower deck and walked directly toward the middle point of the vehicle where she was seated.

Her heart skipped several beats when she noted that the only vacant seat on the lower deck was beside her and she looked to him again as he came toward her; nodding and smiling greetings to all he encountered en route. For all of their previous disdain each and every person he spoke to responded with feigned fondness. Hayley could not help but regard them with contempt.

‘Do you mind if I sit here?’ he asked upon approach; his deep green eyes alive with something like joy.

‘Not at all,’ Hayley lied and made a show of shuffling closer to the window to afford him room.

‘Thank you,’ the stranger offered as he sat down.

Hayley smiled her silent ‘you’re welcome’ and immediately returned to Stephen King.

‘My favourite novel by King is The Shining,’ the youth observed.

‘Yeah- it’s a good book,’ Hayley replied with a frown designed to let him know she would prefer to read than chat.

‘Is that his latest?’

‘Yes- it’s his latest.’

‘Any good?’

‘I’m not certain yet- I’m only onto the fourth chapter- seems okay so far though.’

Hayley expected that her emphasis on reading would curtail any further attempt to engage in conversation with her, but she was mistaken,

‘I’m Nathan,’ he said while extending a hand toward her.

Hayley raised an eyebrow in annoyance, then sighed with deliberate dismay as she let the paperback fall to her lap and met his gaze,

‘I’m Hayley- pleased to meet you,’ she said without returning the formal gesture of a handshake.

‘What do you do Hayley?’ he asked without breaking his vocal stride or betraying offence at her refusal to meet him half way.

‘I’m training to be a nurse and I like to read in my spare time,’ Hayley answered in the hope that he could not again ignore her implications to leave her be.

No such luck.

‘Ah, a student… and of such a worthwhile subject too. Caring for others must be a very satisfying profession.’

Hayley thought to lose her temper, but the punk’s friendly manner prevented her from doing so.

‘I’m not working in the field yet- my work placements begin next term.’

‘I’m sure you’ll do very well- you look the caring sort; exactly what the vulnerable need in my opinion.’

‘It’s not only your opinion- it’s necessitated by definition of the term carework,’ Hayley thought, her tolerance diminished, but spoke aloud to say,

‘It’s nice of you to say so- I can only do my best,’ and again attempted to read.

‘Is nursing a well paid profession?’ he wanted to know, his smiling features glaring toward her.

‘Not particularly.’

‘It should be- good will should always be rewarded.’

Hayley smiled, a genuine smile this time,

‘I think financial reward is generally reserved for those already wealthy.’

The punk smiled in return,

‘A philosopher too,’ he mused, ‘a caring soul that questions the supposed natural order of things- I like your style.’

It was difficult for Hayley not to feel complimented, but she chose to remain humble.

‘I’m nothing special,’ she said, her cheeks flushed deep pink.

‘I disagree,’ Nathan told her, seriously now, ‘it takes a special type of person to give so much and so often- I understand how draining it can be.’

‘Really? Are you a careworker or something?’

Hayley’s enquiry was met with a shake of his head,

‘No- I won’t even consider work for a living. I’m more interested in travelling about and meeting new people.’

‘How do you afford that? If you don’t mind me asking- are you independently wealthy?’

‘I survive on good will as it happens- people appreciate my voice and help me out when I need it.’

Hayley felt mildly perturbed by this revelation- she had yet to hear anyone dress up being a ‘scrounger’ in such a way.

‘Sounds like an exceptionally risky way to live.’

Nathan winked at her on hearing this,

‘Not really- I never go hungry and rarely sleep rough. I suppose you could say I’m the persuasive type.’

Hayley nodded and looked back to her book,

‘Evidently,’ she agreed as she considered how she was no longer disturbed by the voice of the speaker.

‘Listen- it was very nice to meet you, but I’m getting off at the next stop… so… I was wondering if you have any money you could give me before I go.’

The request left Hayley cold,

‘Excuse me?’

Nathan looked directly into her eyes- the green of his appeared to glow larger as he talked,

‘I understand that you want to pay me for my time…’

‘Don’t be ridiculous,’ Hayley scoffed in interruption, bringing a confused expression to Nathan’s face.

‘You wanted to give me your money, didn’t you?’

‘Not at all- I wanted to read my book actually, but you kept butting in.’

‘Don’t you have money?’

‘Yes I do, but it’s not for you- not that it’s any of your business.’

Nathan frowned and drew back his gaze,

‘Weird,’ he said to himself, then to her,  

‘You must live a very sheltered life to be so free of influence, but I really must insist that you hand it over. I need it far more than you and I’m a very worthy cause’

Hayley was gripped by fear at the threat she perceived from these words, but kept her cool.

‘I seriously doubt that- nice try though,’ she said as she glanced back to the work colleagues behind her in the hope they had noticed the escalating tension of the situation. The notion of their support if the punk tried to relieve her of her money by less benign means was admonished when she noted their blank gazes were fixed upon her and that both had notes of monetary value clutched in their hands.

Hayley looked around to the other passengers and saw that they were all silent, including the previously rowdy kids at the back, and those closest were staring intently, as if hypnotised, in the direction of she and Nathan.

Nathan’s eyes narrowed with appraisal of the woman,

‘I knew there was something about you- I think you must be like me- you should get off the bus when I do. You shouldn’t be living like this.’

‘I’d like you to leave me alone now please,’ Hayley said with intended finality and turned her face toward the window.

She was determinedly avoiding any further communication with Nathan as he spoke,

‘Perhaps I should give you an example of my abilities to help you understand what I'm offering.’

And before Hayley had chance to turn and yell at him to ‘go away’ he had stood from beside her and began to address the entirety of the lower deck,

‘Good evening ladies and gentlemen- how do?’

At his words the passengers looked to him as if one entity and responded, in varying ways by telling him they were fine. Though Hayley witnessed it with her own eyes she could scarcely believe it. Nathan winked at her again,

‘Watch this,’ his smile told her.

‘I’ve very much enjoyed your company today, but alas I must depart.’

The audience let out a collective ‘aw’, to which Nathan said,

‘I know- I know, I’ll miss you all too, but if you would like to pass your money to my friend here,’ (he gestured to Hayley) ‘I will ensure that it is well spent. Notes only though please- the coins can be quite cumbersome’

There was absolutely no hesitation in answering his demand. Every person on the lower deck, with the exception of the driver who heeded prior instruction to blot the voice from his mind while he drove, began to dig earnestly into purse, pockets and bags to bring forth the offerings to Hayley.   

 She did not have time to object as notes dropped from all directions onto the book which had remained open on her knee. Stunned and disbelieving, Hayley looked to Nathan incredulously,

‘What’s going on?’ she asked at a hoarse whisper.

‘I can show you how to live amongst the sheep as a wolf,’ Nathan offered, ‘all you have to do is get off the bus with me.’

Hayley glanced down to the money in her lap, then around to the still mesmerised passengers.

‘I’d rather not thanks- I don’t see people as sheep and I’m not a wolf,’ she said suddenly by righteous anger in defence of her fellow citizens.

Nathan shrugged,

‘Your choice Hayley- last chance’

‘I’ll expose you’

Nathan pulled a mock face of fear and then shrugged again, before leaning forward to whisper

‘Go ahead- be a good little sheep and tell the police, they’ll never catch me. They never catch any of us,’ then he stood straight again and yelled to the driver.

‘I’d like to get off now. Park up when you see a safe place’

The bus immediately slowed and Nathan began to walk toward the front doors- leaving Hayley sat with her legs covered in money.

‘I shall see you again my friends, but for now… farewell,’ he said as the bus came to a halt.

‘Hey! Wait just one bloody minute!’ Hayley protested sliding the book and cash to the seat vacated by the punk; meaning to stand and pursue him to ensure justice was served upon the thief and manipulator.

She did not understand the powers at play, but was determined to stop it, although, to her dismay Nathan put paid to her intent by stating,

‘If you would like your money returned I should consult that woman there. I believe she is the thief who stole it.’

Hayley gasped in desperation; freezing half way between sitting and standing as the angry glares of the passengers focused on her.

‘Don’t listen to him!’ she yelled in panic.

‘She’s trying to escape! Stop her!’ Nathan countered, to which the people began to stand and encroach menacingly upon the hapless woman.

Hayley protested in earnest as her accusers pointed and growled toward her. Meanwhile Nathan saluted her and turned to the driver.

‘You should take a sharp left at the highest point of the bridge,’ he told him and then disembarked with a skip and a jump.

Hayley screamed in desperation as she was held fast by her assailants who grasped at the precious commodity about her person as the bus drove toward the bridge. She was still struggling to be free when the driver inexplicably turned the bus into the railings of the bridge and they plummeted to the river below.

Nathan looked on from above as all trace of this unfortunate event disappeared below the surface of the water. He estimated that he had taken somewhere between £800 to £1000 from those on the upper deck and so did not regret that which he had lost to escape detection.

He felt a modicum of regret at having to end someone like the Hayley woman though. He knew that had she not such an insufferable conscience she would have made an interesting addition to the underworld brood of freaks and rejects who walked free of society’s constraints.

A new recruit would have seen him promoted higher in the ranks, so this had to go down as a missed opportunity in realising his ambitions of taking over a major company in the future.

‘Never mind,’ he said as he walked off the bridge,

‘Plenty more fish in the sea’

© 2011 spence


Author's Note

spence
I intend to re-write the end and expand this to a larger body of work at a later date. I intend it to be a conspiratorial type of alternative vampire tale. The 'monsters' will be the people we look to every day for governance and guidance and Nathan is an example of those on the first rung in the ladder of achievement. Hayley will be involved from start to finish as she discovers the power of those that control the world we live in and has to make a choice between joining the 1% or helping the 'sheep' under their control.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I Really like your concept, you give a supernatural explanation for the manipulation leaders of countries, members of parliament, religious figures etc. all use against us ”sheep.” I agree with your authors note that you should expand this and develop it into a larger body of work. I also lik how you made him okay with sacrificing all those lives in order to save his own a*s and how if Hayley wasn't so consciencious she would make a good recruitment... both aspects that strongly tie with the "world leaders" It would be interesting to see how hayley reacts. Send me a message when you do expand

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
1 Review
Added on January 14, 2011
Last Updated on January 14, 2011

Author

spence
spence

Grimsby, United Kingdom



About
Just returning to WritersCafe after a couple of years in the wilderness of life. I'm a 40 year old (until December 2013, at least) father of two, former youth and community worker, sometime socio-pol.. more..

Writing