The Void

The Void

A Story by spenderlou
"

A short story about what i think suicide would be like.

"

The man threw the strap upwards, being careful to fast it to his ceiling fan. He tied the ribbon into a knot, and, making sure it was tight, stepped through it.

The world went into nothingness.

 

The man was taken aback as he woke, startled and in terror.

He was not familiar with place, and yet he felt at home. It was warm, and it was quiet. A silence filled the room, the type that did not exist on the Earth. A figure appeared in the distance. It was not hostile, but instead seemed to be drawing him forward. He stepped forth, and looked into the being.

The void stood, motionless. It was all, and it was nothing simultaneously. A lone man stood before the endless black. He was frustrated, seemingly broken and ready to join the entity in nothingness. He strained a scream into the void, "Am I significant?"

The void said nothing at first, but slowly shifted, and created what appeared to be a response, "You are." The man seemed taken aback at this response. He strained another statement, "but how?"
The void once again was silent, longer this time, as if pondering how a human could comprehend itself. It took a breath, and explained, "You are you." The man thought about this for a moment. Exasperated still, he yelled into the black, "Who am I?"

The void said simply, "You are whoever you choose to be. You are given your life so that you may exist and thrive. I hope only that you do not waste this opportunity again.”

The man was silent. The man was satisfied

© 2016 spenderlou


Author's Note

spenderlou
Please give me advice, I understand that I am not good.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the concept, but there is definitely room for improvement.
First off, "fast it" doesn't make sense, I think you're trying to say "fasten it"?
Try not to repeat yourself. Things like "taken aback", "silent", "strained" and "nothingness" is repeated. maybe consult a thesaurus if you're struggling.
And last, this is a story about what happens when you die. We as an audience are craving detail, as this is such a vague topic. Drag it out! Milk it! Describe each second of dying, life leaving your body, the panic clutching your heart, instinct kicking in but you fight it, each sense shutting off one by one until there is nothing.
Then he awakes... Where? It's never described except the silence, and even then only mentioned. There was no heartbeat, no rush of blood through arteries, so silent it was deafening, ringing in his ears.
The ending is also a little vague, and didn't even have a period. Schoolboy error.
You have potential, but you've got to put everything you've got into your stories. Close your eyes. Feel it. Write it down.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 13, 2016
Last Updated on June 14, 2016
Tags: Fiction, Happy

Author

spenderlou
spenderlou

Tulsa, OK



About
I am 17 years old from the US. My name is Tatum. Nice to meet you. more..

Writing
Monologue Monologue

A Story by spenderlou


Anisa Anisa

A Poem by spenderlou