Running Away

Running Away

A Story by starNsoul

Do you remember when you asked me once “What is that one thing in life you really wish to do more than anything right now?” and I had replied “Running away.”

You were surprised then, weren’t you, for you asked “why…to where?”

And I had not known the answer…not at that moment, no. But if I sat down one summer morning when the dazzling glare of the sun dances wildly outside my window, drenching little sparrows in melancholy sunlight, I would write down a few things on a blank piece of paper. I would write run, let’s run away for the winter rain, run for the smell of earth, the dust that draws on wood, run for the screams and the songs, I would run away for one minute of silence.

I would run away for the talk of freedom, lingering in the air in the month of August…back to my homeland. I would run away from the lies on television, run for the old song of history, run for the freedom writers, not the self promoting ones, but the ones who never speak…they never tell on the “bad” guys or the “good” they themselves hide behind their loss, I would run away for them.

Come with me and lets run away to your father and to your mother, if not to them lets run to mine. Let’s run to visit old graves of people we don’t know, run to hold a hand, to cause a smile, to create a future. I would run away because I need to forget the past, the cliched past, the advertised history, to forget the fairy tales, the heroic version, run to find the human stories not of saviors but of survivors.

I would run away because the winter is short and the summers are long and all things are temporary. I would run away to see the seasons fresh red roses, I would run for the sweet, creamy taste of chocolate and have it melt in my mouth. I would run away to bad restaurants with good services, for new deals on mobile phones, for new voices on radio and run towards the street vendors and their everyday new products.

If you would allow me, I would take your hand and run away with you, run to fall in love, to fall out of assumptions, run away from those who do not understand…those who call it forbidden. I would run away to hold a waist, a hand, and a shoulder…curves slowly marked yours. I would run away to whisper sweet nothings in your ear and to open the doors of your heart…to find my name carved in it.

I would run because I just learnt that life has lost its original meaning. Ask a child about the true meaning of life and when he answers let me know what he says because I need to learn the new definition as well. I would run as common sense is not as common as it was before, run because humanity doesn’t deserve its name, run to break ices…chains, to help win back lost rights and hope, forever…forever.

I need to run away for the promises people once made me, run away ready for tears that will pour out of nowhere unto my lap and scar me, stain my shirt. I would run for grief…so please run with me…take me away.

I would run away because I should have ran away a long time ago, I would run because they are all waiting for me on the other side, run away from one soul only to meet another, to teach them a thing or two. I would run before this month ends and we have another month to call our own. I would run away to be alive again, I would run away ready, run away strong, run to where I belong.

I would run away now…before its too late.

© 2012 starNsoul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

brave words...great work

Posted 12 Years Ago


Gorgeous.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2012
Last Updated on January 15, 2012

Author

starNsoul
starNsoul

karachi, PA, Pakistan



Writing