Gallipta

Gallipta

A Story by Bri
"

This is Chapter one from the Gallipta series, from the viewpoint of Kaelli, one of the main characters.

"

Gallipta. The year 2300. The Earth is no longer a place of green and life. Now, it merely looks like a large wasteland. Chunks of it have already broken off, taking life with it. The mission of Gallipta? To find where the life went.

 

 

 

Gallipta is one of the few areas that still have civilization. This "civilization", as it is loosely called consists of no more than a broken government, and a few sparse towns that do not have enough food or water. What little they have is rationed out once a week.....which doesn't even begin to cover the basic needs of anyone. However, the main city is well provisioned, but cares none about the sufferings of those outside the walls. The sad part is, Gallipta is the most civilized out of any of the other Mestos. The Mestos were few and far between- one previously known as Canada (now Caustal), another previously known as India (now Deken), another previously known as Ghana (now Shadi), and one that was previously known as England, (now Gallipta). There was no contact to be allowed between the Mestos. Only the leader of each could talk at an annual meeting that was held at a long abandoned tower, known only as The Tower of Pischona. The meeting lasts for 3 days, and always ends in an assasination attempt. The leaders storm off, only to have the same problems the next year. The only leader that has ever attempted for peace during one of these conferences was the great Marco, former leader of Gallipta. That was about century ago. Now, the leader of Gallipta is a young hotblooded male named Kinah. His queen is a self-centered brat named Isa, concerned only for herself. Their child, a girl about 16 years old, is named Mara. Kinah has invested all the money that the Mesto had saved up for the long centuries of inaction into the process of finding the life that spiraled out into the black abyss of space centuries ago. Kinah has already decreed that there will be one more mission to space to find life. The Mission is called Project Discover. Finding the perfect members to go aboard the spaceship proves to be no easy task. The princess will be going onto the ship, so as to have a royal voice in the proceedings. Only 2 of the other 8 needed have been picked. Scientist Brant Charles and Physicist Liza Small are trustworthy subjects of the king who have been handchosen to lead this mission. The only thing that remains is for these two to find 6 people that can handle the work that this mission will bring, and that will not lose much, should the mission fail. People who can keep secrets, and (in the case that the mission fails) will not be missed.

~X~

 

Chapter One

Kaelli

7:45 AM

"What can I get you, ma'am?" A voice cut through Kaelli's reverie. She blinked, startled, looking up into the face of a young waitress asking for her order.

"Oh...um...uh, I'll have the chocolate biscotti and a cup of coffee, please. Make the coffee black. Oh, and to go please." Kaelli rattled off her standard order at Mel's, the smallest restaurant in town. The young waitress nodded her affirmation, striding over quickly to the kitchen and giving the cook Kaelli's order. Kaelli leaned back in her seat and sighed. She never truly woke up until the first sip of her coffee. It was risky for her to even be coming here first thing in the morning. Her boss wouldn't be happy about her being late (again). This would be the third time this year. And it was only February. Kaelli stood up quickly to run to the bathroom and put her makeup on, realizing that she might as well look nice when her boss went off on her. Grimacing, she pulled open the door to the bathroom stall. Walking over to the mirror, she whipped her makeup out of her purse and began to apply it. Brushing some blush across her soft cheekbones, she looked at her brown eyes. Some eyeshadow would definitely help touch these up, she thought to herself. After quickly brushing the fine powder across her eyes, she quickly brushed through her curly dark brown hair with her hands, admiring the way it settled around her shoulders. Giving it a final fluff, she strolled out of the room and back to her seat. Within five minutes, the waitress came back around with her food and drink.

"That'll be 10.50, ma'am." The waitress said. Kaelli silently fished around in her overlarge bag and found exactly ten fifty. Handing it over, she noticed that her recently done nails had already chipped. Oh, crap.... she thought with an inward sigh. Quickly standing up she thanked the waitress, and quickly made her way to her car. Hopping in her black Camry, she sped off to work, dodging the cars in her way, determined to make it to work on time.

By the time 8:00 rolled around, Kaelli was safely ensconsed her office, rubbing her temples. Having made it to work on time, her boss, Mr. Marin, had told her (in a surprised tone),

"Well, Ms. Kaelli, I can see you are here on time....Well done. now, where is the report that I asked you to finish today?"

"Well, sir...you see, uh....well, I...uhm.....er...." Kaelli sputtered.

" Hmm. Just as I expected. Have it on my desk at the latest by 5:00 today. If it's not there, well..." Mr. Marin finished threatingly. Kaelli swallowed, feeling her hands begin to sweat.

"I understand perfectly, sir. I'll work on that right away." Kaelli quickly turned and sped off to her cubicle. Where she was now, wondering how on Earth she was going to finish that report on time.

© 2012 Bri


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012

Author

Bri
Bri

Rochester, NY



About
I have recently discovered that i enjoy writing short stories and poetry :) I also play the flute and soccer, so that takes up a lot of my time more..

Writing
Gallipta-All Gallipta-All

A Story by Bri