Forever Silent

Forever Silent

A Story by Stephanie
"

For the "Finish the Sentence" contest.

"
It was always the quiet ones who intrigued me most. In a way, I thought them to be the smartest ones. They never had to answer to anyone because no one bothered to talk to them for any significant reason; never had many friends unless they were part of that silent cult; always the top of the class, but never receiving the proper recognition. It was either a charmed life or a cursed life. For me, it was charming.

You may be thinking that I’m one of them. Truthfully, it’s all I’ve ever wanted to not become them. I’ve always done my best to go out of my way and talk to my classmates and teachers, hoping to be among the known, yet here I am sitting alone at lunch. Again. I wear a subtle smirk today though. No one passing notices and the few people I do associate with don’t ask why. That’s what happens when you end up with the outcasts. I refuse to be one for the rest of my life.

It’s for that very reason I smile today. I’m going to become legendary in this small and   inconsequential town. Let’s just say the jocks, cheerleaders and Bob Marley wannabes aren’t the only ones who had a good weekend. Just as I start to go over my adventures, Annabel stops at my table.

“Hey, Nicole. You seem happier than usual today.” She gives me a close-lipped smile and awaits my response.

“You noticed? Thanks.”

“I’m not the only one. Mind if I sit?”

I gesture that it’s okay. She sits and starts on her homemade salad, golden delicious apple and green tea. Annabel is nice enough, but then I relapse into my memories. I remember the easy power I’d wielded over the quiet ones, the intoxicating smell of their blood spilling to the ground, the moment they finally relinquished their silence and realized it was too late to speak up. No one will notice they’re gone for another few days and by then there won’t be any bodies to find. Charming indeed.

It was always the quiet ones who died first.

© 2013 Stephanie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yikes, this is spooky. I was one of the quiet ones, not at the top of my class though. The twist you take on this is interesting. Usually it's the quiet one's, the ones who are bullied and pushed around that take out their rage on the jocks, and popular kids.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yum! Very tasty! Appropriately chilling and creepy. And the best part? It's grammatically perfect! Bonus! This is something I just can't do, no matter how hard I try...write a fully contained story with so few words. Kudos to you!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooh, very nice! I like very much!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was great! I might be stating the obvious, but is this a story about an immortal? You did an amazing job with the visuals of the words. I loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2013

Author

Stephanie
Stephanie

Gilroy, CA



About
I'm Stephanie, 27. Still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, even though I have a degree. Getting through some serious writer's block from the past 5+ years. Excited to be back! more..

Writing
Tingle Tingle

A Poem by Stephanie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..