Demons In The Mist

Demons In The Mist

A Story by steve
"

A woman on her own realises terrible creatures are hunting her.

"
Demons In The Mist.

Janet had waited for ages. Where are you? The fog was heavy, causing a chill in the air which was far from inviting. Peering at her watch she realised she'd been standing here for nearly an hour. Michael was usually on time, also why wasn't he answering her calls? This was very worrying indeed.
Nearby a figure emerged from the swirling mist. Hopefully it was him? A man's face which she didn't recognise, gave her an odd look before vanishing in the cloud. This was getting ridiculous, another five minutes and Janet would head home. Screw him. Counting down the minutes, when finally it was time to leave she pondered on why he hadn't turned up, was it something she'd done to cause this strange behaviour from him? Thinking back she couldn't remember anything out of the ordinary. It was certainly frustrating on top of the weather being horrible. Janet was freezing. Taking a couple of steps she heard a noise coming from down the road. What the hell was that? A shadow was barely seen as it crawled along the pavement towards her. Her heart began to race. What was happening? "Who are you?" she asked, a little concerned.
The strange person all of a sudden leapt up grabbing her face, she fell backwards hitting her head on the concrete, dizziness consumed her. Pulling herself up using a nearby shop window Janet looked in every direction. She gathered her thoughts, utterly terrified at what had just occurred. With trouble she started the journey home. The street was empty, the buildings either side of the road stood menacingly, making Janet feel extremely uncomfortable. What if she gets attacked again, who would help her?
Her footsteps echoed, making her an easy target to any psycho that might be near. The back of her head hurt slightly, placing a hand softly on the area which was the most painful, it felt sticky, peering at her hand there was a little bit of blood.
Oh no, this wasn't good, she thought.
The fog lessened a little making visibility easier. Proceeding down the road with caution Janet saw something which made her shudder. At the entrance of an alley not too faraway a figure was observed while it sniffed the ground. Its arms outstretched as it rummaged in one of the bins. Janet needed to hide before this thing saw her. With luck a car parked a couple of metres away would be perfect in the circumstances. Ducking down behind it, she peered through the glass at whatever this thing was, then waited patiently. Even though this creature was hard to see properly because of the conditions, she could tell it wasn't human, the way its body moved close to the pavement, its legs and arms seemed to bend in both directions giving it more flexibility. The head was very small, and no features could be observed in the dim light.
From somewhere a man's voice shouted, "Who are you, what do you want from me, please leave me alone?"
Seconds later piercing screams filled the air, followed by the creature disappearing down the alley. This was the ideal moment to make her escape.
Getting up carefully as she was still experiencing slight dizziness, walked as quickly as she could to the other side of the road, where there were more vehicles parked just in case. Janet crept behind them while keeping a watchful eye on the alley in case the demon reappeared. This is what she decided to call them, because they weren't from this world.
All of a sudden the black demon scurried out of the alley and into the road while it chewed on something very small, before spitting it out. Janet put her hand up to her mouth, utterly petrified. Another one appeared following the other while sniffing the air. She needed to make a dash for it. Behind her was a little pathway inbetween two shops, one was a newsagents where she popped in regularly. Keeping an eye on the demons she proceeded carefully to the side of the shop, once there Janet made her way through, until she found herself behind the newsagents. It was quite overgrown, so with some difficulty Janet made her way to the back of the area, which led to a railway track. About twenty metres away stood a train. There didn't seem to be anyone about, maybe they'd all succumbed to the creatures?
Pushing some thin branches out of the way she forced her way through, until she was safely on the other side. With haste she headed to the abandoned train where hopefully Janet could hide inside, until this nightmare was over with.
Finally Janet had made it, trying the side door first. No luck. Walking to another door she tried the handle. A click was heard, then it opened to her relief. She made her way inside unprepared to what she'd find. The first carriage was a ghastly sight. A few people were seated either side, but looking closer at their faces she noticed their eye balls were missing, only dark sockets remained. She puked almost instantly. Walking to the other carriage she found it empty. Relieved, Janet sat down to compose herself. She thought back to Michael, please be okay. Earlier she'd been at work, it was only in the last hour of her shift that she received a text from him asking to meet. At the time it seemed a bit random, but she was up for it. Not realising it would end up like this, stuck in a freezing train while being hunted by demonic animals. How could it get any worse. Not sure if it was a good idea or not, Janet removed the phone from her trouser pocket and decided to try and ring Michael. On the contacts list she pressed his name, it started ringing, then she waited patiently for him to answer. After approximately 20 seconds the call cut out. "Damn," she shouted, more frustrated than anything else.
A bang echoed from the adjoining carriage, meaning someone or something was inside the train with her. Janet peered at the door. Her heart raced. A shadow appeared in the glass. Janet stayed quiet. A click, then the door being pushed open as something crept into the carriage with her. She stayed where she was, petrified as can be. Heavy breathing was heard as it got closer. The scraping of nails along the windows caused Janet to feel alarmed. She needed to get out of there now. As quick as she could Janet ran for the nearest entrance. The crawling monstrosity saw her and headed in that direction fast.
Pushing the handle down the door opened and Janet scared as can be made her way off the train. Looking back with sheer terror she realised the demon had followed her. She needed to make a run for it. It was already too late. From behind she was grabbed and pulled to the ground. The creature with its ghastly appearance held her head tight while it stared at her eyes with a strange fascination. Janet tried fighting back, but the demon was much stronger. From the back of the monstrosity appeared a second demon. It touched her face softly, while it licked its thin dark lips.
"Get off me," she screamed, doing her best to escape.
Suddenly a gun shot echoed. The demon holding Janet down, fell on top of her hard. The other beast seemed confused at what had happened and scurried under the deserted train away from danger.
"Get off me. Get off me," she yelled, doing her best to push the thing off.
Someone came to her aid, helping Janet to move the dead creature from her. Once Janet was able to stand, she faced the person who'd saved her life. She began to cry, she couldn't believe it. It was Michael.
They hugged.
Janet was in utter shock, how did he survive? "What the hell is going on, Michael, who the hell are these creatures, and where did you get that gun?"
He shrugged his shoulders, before replying, "I don't know, sweetheart. I was coming to meet you when two or three of the b******s came out of nowhere and started attacking everyone around me. I found the gun on the street while trying to escape the carnage, then did my best to hide, knowing i needed to find you. To see you were safe, and now you're here with me, looking as gorgeous as ever." He stroked her hair.
She smiled, then said, "This is no time for that, Michael. Thank you for the compliment, but we need to get somewhere safe. Do you know anywhere we could go?"
He needed to think, when finally he had the perfect place. "We could break into one of the shopping malls and hide upstairs until this is over with. What do you think, Janet?"
"Do we have any other ideas? No. Let's do that," she answered, what other choice did they have?
He seemed happy that she liked the plan. "Okay. Let's do it."
Both headed to the biggest shop in the city, knowing it was their only way of surviving this terrible situation. Apart from the odd lamp light and window light, everywhere was pitch black. Occasionally a body would appear, their eye balls missing. Thankfully no creatures were seen while they made their journey across the vast area. At one point a fire raged nearby as they walked down a street with rented flats either side. Taking a closer look both realised a small plane had plummeted into the more luxurious homes at the other side of the city park. She peered in his direction wiping her eyes.
"There's nothing we can do here. We need to carry on," was all he said, looking at the sad sight.
Within a short time they'd arrived at their destination. The swirling fog engulfed the huge building. Making their way around the mall, Michael all of a sudden glimpsed one of the vile creatures while it sniffed a discarded bag of shopping.
He knew what had to be done. Turning to Janet, he whispered, "Follow me, and stay directly behind me. Do you understand, sweetheart?"
She nodded her head, meaning yes.
Taking his hand, they proceeded with caution. The creatures head had disappeared inside the bag. Once Michael thought he was close enough, he crouched down, the rifle aimed at the beast.
Janet copied his pose always half a metre behind him. Her heart raced.
He took a shot at the body area. The demon hit the pavement with a thud. Dark liquid ran from the wound to the concrete below. Michael turned to her, before saying, "Easy."
Then with horror she noticed the creature wasn't dead, as it crept behind him before wrapping its devilish fingers around his face. Janet grabbed hold of Michael's hand doing her best to pull him from the demons clutches. He began to scream as the monster's sharp nails pierced the skin around his eyes.
"No, no, no," she cried out losing her grip. Janet watched in disgust as the monster popped out each eye ball before eating them. Michael fell to the concrete dead. Realising she needed to get out of there, Janet ran to the main entrance, banging the glass with both hands hoping someone inside would hear her. It only took a matter of seconds for a security guard to appear, a worried look on his ageing face.
"Let me in," she screamed, hitting the door with her fists.
Without giving it much thought he unlocked the door, pulling her through the gap, then closing it instantly. Straightaway the demon jumped at the glass trying to get in. The door shook violently.
"Come with me now," said the man as he walked swiftly to some stairs which led to the lingerie department. Janet followed him, still deeply disturbed by what she'd witnessed a few moments before. At the top of the stairs she saw with disbelief many people of all ages gathered at the back of the big room. The moment they saw her, some gasped.
"How long have they been here?" she asked, not quite believing there were survivors.
"Since it began. Some were already in here when the massacre started outside. Others fled into the shop trying to escape the carnage," replied the security guard. "But I do believe help must be coming, I really do think that."
Janet agreed with him. "If we wait in here I do honestly think we have a chance of getting out of this."
The slight banging from downstairs ceased suddenly, meaning the creature had given up trying to get in.
Walking to the big window Janet peered at the street below. It was so dark down there, it would be hours until morning. The only thing to do now was wait for assistance to arrive, and finally get some answers. She pressed her nose against the cold glass, Michael entered her mind, sadness was felt. "I'm so sorry," she said under her breath.
Hours had passed. Janet sat by the window praying for morning to come. Some of the other people slept while a few chatted amongst themselves. The security guard kept an eye on the main door, just in case the creature came back. So far nothing to eventful had occurred, to the relief of everyone.
At some point Janet fell asleep. She dreamt of Michael. It was a sad dream filled with emptiness. She awoke, forgetting her whereabouts for a second or two. The sun shone in through the window, the warmth from the rays was felt on her face. Closing her eyes she thought back to last night and the horrors that came with it. From nearby she observed the security guard still doing his rounds.
Around his eyes were dark rings through lack of sleep, he approached her with a smile, "Good to see you in the land of the living."
Janet laughed. "A new day, a new chapter."
"The police are downstairs, everything should get back to normal now. If you like you're free to go, the police say the danger has gone. It's your decision," he said. "I'll leave it with you."
It didn't take long for Janet to make her mind up. Within seconds she had left the shop. The thick fog had vanished, along with the demons. All over the place corpses were covered by blankets. It was a very sad sight. The moment she saw Michael's body she felt very emotional. She knelt down, removing the small towel which covered his face, kissing him softly on the forehead. "Thank you," was all she said, meaning every word, then with a heavy heart Janet made the difficult journey home.


The End














































© 2018 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on December 28, 2018
Last Updated on December 28, 2018
Tags: Creatures, monstrosity, demon, street, Janet, Michael, eye balls, fog, mist

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve