Mary

Mary

A Story by steve
"

A woman wakes up in the middle of a field not remembering a thing.

"
Mary.

She found herself in the middle of a field, how did she end up here? She got up, in the distance she saw a building. A faint voice came from somewhere near while it called out her name, "Mary. Are you there Mary?"
Searching the ground she found a mobile phone, Mary answered it immediately. "Who's that?" she asked, her voice a little heightened.
"Oh my god it's really you. Where are you?" the man's voice said. "You've been missing for days. I've tried ringing you countless times, this is the first time you've answered. Where are you?"
Mary didn't have a clue where she was, and answered, "I don't remember anything. All I know is I've just woken up in the middle of some field. How did I end up here?"
The man seemed concerned. "Go and find shelter before he finds you."
This wasn't the thing she wanted to hear, and replied a little freaked out, "What do you mean?"
He coughed once before carrying on, "A vehicle was parked outside your house before you went missing, none of your neighbours recognised the driver. We think he might have something to do with this. When you vanished your friends rang the police straightaway. Where the hell are you, Mary?"
She didn't know and this scared her very much. "I'm not sure. What should I do?"
"Walk until you find something which can verify your location. Then ring me. It's important, Mary. Will you do that for me?"
She didn't have any other choice. "Yes, I'll do what you say. Who's the man you speak of, who's after me I mean?"
"I've got to go." He then ended the call.
Completely freaked out she ran to the building. Her nose an inch from the window, Mary looked in hoping someone lived there and would help her in her plight. The room was dark. A table sat in the middle, four chairs positioned around it. To the left magazines were stacked high which Mary found a bit odd.
She took a few steps to the entrance, not sure what she was going to find. Mary grabbed the round handle hoping the door was unlocked. With surprise it opened while it creaked terribly. She made her way in. If she could find the person who lived here, her chance of getting out of this nightmarish situation would improve dramatically. Mary shouted to see if anyone was there, then waited for a response. On the right of her were stairs which led to a higher floor.
Maybe she should take a look?
Making her way to the bottom, Mary's heart raced. She noticed how dirty the walls were, it was like this place hadn't been lived in for years. Placing her foot carefully on the step she proceeded up cautiously. Her footsteps echoed loudly.
Halfway up she heard a bang at the top. Mary froze. Suddenly a black cat ran passed her, nearly causing her to lose her balance. Taking some deep breaths she carried on not enjoying herself one bit. Near the top she stopped, reluctant to carry on. Unbeknown to her someone could be hiding upstairs, waiting patiently before making their move, being alone in the house with a potential burglar on the prowl it was understandable.
Her foot landed on the top step followed by the other. The nerves had hold of her more than ever as she made her way onto the landing. Mary observed a couple of rooms on the left, the doors closed. On the right was a standard sized window which showed the untidy back garden. Walking to the first door she grabbed the handle then opened it, shitting herself if the truth be told. The first thing she saw was a wardrobe, close to that were a few boxes stacked to the ceiling. The carpet was covered in empty cartons of takeaway meals. The stench made her feel sick.
Mary closed the door. Proceeding to the second room she got hold of the handle, taking a few seconds to compose herself, she opened it quickly not needing any surprises. There was a bed at the back of the quite small room, beside it a little two drawer wooden cabinet. Some clothes had been thrown on the carpet.
The place was a tip. Who could live in such awful conditions?
Suddenly Mary heard the front door creak as someone must've opened it. Peering about for somewhere to hide, she realised she was s**t out of luck. What should she do?
Footsteps coming up the stairs caused her to panic.
Remembering the wardrobe in the first room, Mary decided to hide in there. Being careful not to make a noise, she crept out of the room heading back to the first door, which she pushed open slowly so she wouldn't make a sound. Proceeding to the wardrobe Mary made her way in. Trembling with fear she huddled under some hanging clothes. Along the landing footsteps came closer, then the person stopped at the entrance.
Mary placed a hand over her mouth, not knowing what to expect. The sound of someone making their way into the room caused great alarm for her. She stayed still, keeping a watchful eye on the gap between the doors, ready to run if need be. The person pulled the drawers from the cabinet as they landed on the floor noisily. What were they doing? After much searching the person left the room heading to the other room down the hall, which gave Mary an opportunity to get the hell out of there. Checking it was safe she crawled out of the wardrobe, then taking her time headed to the entrance. Looking to the second room the door was open, and the mysterious person could be heard inside while they looked for something. Proceeding with caution Mary made it to the top of the stairs, then slowly took the steps down. Near the bottom the nerves got the better of her and running to the main door, left the house. Searching for a place to lay low, Mary saw a small shed at the side of the building. Within seconds she was safely inside, the entrance closed. It was dark, but at least she was away from danger for the time being. Peering through the slight gap of the door, Mary waited for this person to appear. A few minutes had passed, when finally a man in his forties came out of the house. Mary was shocked by how normal he looked, if it was the person the other man had warned her about earlier on the phone, then she'd have to be very wary of him. He was clean shaven, wore nice clothes, and in his hand he held a phone which he placed to his ear. Suddenly her phone began to ring, pushing the touch screen she switched to mute. Looking up nervously Mary realised it was too late. The man had heard it and was heading in her direction fast. The look on his face didn't make her feel much better either, he seemed furious, from his trouser pocket he took out a switchblade, then hid it in his sleeve.
Looking about frantically Mary tried to find something which she could defend herself with. Laying just behind her was a pitch fork, that'll have to do in the circumstances. Grabbing the thin handle, she watched him get nearer with every excruciating second. The moment the door opened she panicked, and with all her strength pushed the only weapon she had deep into his stomach.
Dropping the knife to the ground, he clutched his stomach, his eyes wide with fear. Their eyes met. He fell to the grass.
A triumphant Mary left the tiny confines of the shed, standing over him, she screamed, "Why, f*****g why?"
He still hadn't lost consciousness, peering up at her, a bit of blood escaping from his mouth, he said between gasps, "Mary what have you done? It's me, your husband. I've tried ringing you several times in the last few days," he coughed up more blood before carrying on, "But this morning you answered, like a miracle. I've been tracking your phone since, this is how I got your location. But the man I believe kidnapped you, saw me earlier and I truly believe he has followed me here. You need to run. My car is parked half a mile down the road. Leave me and just go. You need to go."
The memories which had been dormant now flooded back. What had she done, how could she of got it so wrong? Mary bent down to him. "I'm so sorry, Stephen."
He gave her a smile. A moment later he had lost all consciousness.
"Don't die on me Stephen," she screamed, knowing it was already too late.
Mary cried, remembering everything.
A few days ago she recalls a man breaking into her house, then being dragged to the boot of his Land Rover, before he forced her inside. At the time Mary didn't know what to think. With luck she still had her phone with her, hidden in her trouser pocket.. The next thing she was aware of was being carried by the brute to a big warehouse in the middle of nowhere. The man who was over 6 foot tall always wore a balaclava, and for days he had kept her in a smallish room, with food and water served to her regularly through a little hatch in the door. Many times she tried ringing Stephen, but the signal was terrible. After a while she gave up hope of ever reaching him.
It was only yesterday when Mary had devised a plan, and pretending to be seriously ill, the kidnapper entered the room unaware it was all an act, before she pushed him to the floor. When he realised what was happening she'd already fled from the building. All she remembers while she tried to escape him was falling and smacking her head hard on a tree stump, before crawling with immense difficulty out of the overgrown area, after that everything was a blur as Mary made her way into a field where a house stood nearby.
If what Stephen said is true, Mary needed to get to the car quick, before her kidnapper showed up. Tears still streaming down her face, she headed to the front of the house. At a little gate overlooking some fields and a lonely road, Mary saw it, with much relief. All of a sudden clapping was heard behind her. Turning round Mary was shocked to see who stood there.
Robert took a couple of steps towards her, a smile on his face, before saying, "Hello, Mary. Remember me?"
She couldn't believe it. "It was you, wasn't it?"
He laughed, then replied sarcastically, "What are you talking about, Mary, what am I getting accused of?"
Mary needed answers. "But why, why did you lock me up for days? Leaving my husband to worry about my wellbeing. Just tell me now, you b*****d?"
Anger came across his face. "Do you know how long we have worked together, Mary? Through all them years you treated me like a nobody, while you married that piss ant of a man."
Was this some sort of joke. "So you decided to take me from my home and lock me up in a cage in the middle of nowhere because you were jealous. Do you realise how stupid that sounds, Robert?"
Taking a step closer, he said, "But you don't know what it's like, seeing you everyday, wanting to touch you. To make love to you."
This was ridiculous. "So what are you going to do to me now?" she asked, knowing it wasn't going to be good news.
Robert put his hands on his hips, giving her a strange look, then replied, "Look I'm not the bad guy here. Okay, I do realise I've taken things a little too far. If I really wanted to harm you Mary, I would've started by taking your mobile from you, but around here I knew you didn't have a hope in hell of reaching anyone. This place is known as a dead zone. Look, Mary. Try and understand, you mean the world to me."
She couldn't listen to anymore. "I would never go with you, because you repulse me."
He looked down at the ground, then said gravely, "Then you don't give me any other choice."
Before she could act Robert had already pushed her to the ground, his hands around her throat. Mary had trouble breathing."Please don't do this," she begged. Using her hands she tried pushing him away, he was too powerful. At one point Robert smiled while he enjoyed her suffering. Mary kicked him hard between the legs, wishing to escape his murderous clutches. He seemed to get off on this as his grip became tighter. When at last she'd given up all hope a figure was observed behind Robert, whacking him hard around the skull with a thick branch, instantly Robert fell on her. Looking up utterly shocked, Mary saw a man well into his sixties.
The man looked confused, before saying, "What the hell is going on? I pop out for a couple of hours and all hell breaks loose, and I'm not sure if you know but there's a man over there badly injured. I'll ring the ambulance now." Within seconds he was talking to someone on his mobile explaining what had happened.
Then at that moment Mary realised everything was going to be okay.

The End






© 2019 steve


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome story I was glued once more to the screen as the words leaped off the page. However, I wished the font was just a bit big for my taste.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 1, 2019
Last Updated on January 3, 2019
Tags: Woman, kidnapped, kidnapper, field, house, Mary, Robert, Stephen

Author

steve
steve

Norwich



About
Hi, I hope you enjoy my short stories. I've been writing for sometime now, and thoroughly enjoy it. To be honest, I find it quite addictive. Even when I'm at work I am thinking about the next story.. more..

Writing
Family Family

A Story by steve


Lockdown Lockdown

A Story by steve


Evil Elves Evil Elves

A Story by steve