Caught Up In The Entanglement Of Adversity

Caught Up In The Entanglement Of Adversity

A Story by Joanna Maharis
"

A couple gets caught up in the entanglement of adversity.

"

Caught up in the entanglement of adversity, Felix is distressed over having lost his job as a stock broker, after fifteen years of service for the company.  He and Carly can no longer afford the luxurious apartment they’d grown accustomed to. 

 

Carly stands with her back against the wall and her arms crossed, while Felix stands a little further down, with his arms outstretched and his face buried in the wall.

 

“What are we going to do?  I only have $5, 000 in the bank, because of your elaborate spending, Carly.  Perhaps if we were to downsize and get a smaller, less expensive apartment.  Say one that would cost us between $500 to $600 a month, the money we have in the bank would sustain us for a little while until I can find another job, landing us back on our feet,” he cried.

 

“Not a chance.  The only solution I can think of is for us to move in with my parents, until you land another job.  I don’t want to live in some cheap apartment.  But that would mean we’d have to put all of our furniture in storage.  So, the next complication would be coming up with the money to pay for storage,” she said flatly, taking a couple of deep breaths.  She looks away from her husband in disgust.

 

“No.  We can’t move in with your parents.  Doing so would only be admitting failure to them.  In their eyes, I was never good enough for you.  The only reason they gave us their blessing to get married was because of the good paying job I landed as a stock broker,” Felix shrieked as he smacked his hands against the wall.

 

“We have to do something, and quick.  I certainly don’t intend to live in a cheaper part of town.  If it means we’d have to get rid of some of our furniture and other valuables to come up with some extra cash and build up our funds, so be it.  At least, living at our parents house would afford us the luxuries we have grown accustomed to.  So, I suggest you swallow your pride, Felix.  We’re going to live with my parents for a while.  Like it or not, you’ve got to admit it’s better than any alternative,” Carly grunted as she glared at him, “It’s either that, or you can go live with your brother his wife, while we’d be legally separated.”

 

“You mean you’d leave me,” he cried, still facing the wall while waddling in his pool of self pity.

 

“Only if you don’t agree we move in with my parents for a while until you land another job.  I still have my job as a ballet instructor at the university, but it’s only a part time position.  It doesn’t pay as much as your stock broker job did, but the money coming in can be added to our funds.  We’d both have to cut down on our elaborate spending habits.  But I think we can do it with a great end result,” Carly sighed while walking over to her husband, putting her arms around him.

 

© Copyright, Joanna Maharis, 2015

 

© 2015 Joanna Maharis


Author's Note

Joanna Maharis
What do you think of the prose? Does the story come together alright? Is their anything more you feel I need to do to flesh it out more? If so, I'm open to suggestions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on June 24, 2015
Last Updated on June 24, 2015
Tags: FlashFiction, Fiction, Horror, Life, Literature, Writing, ProsePoetry

Author

Joanna Maharis
Joanna Maharis

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Graduate of Western Michigan University with a BA degree in Writing, which has been my passion since the tender age of six. Grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan where I currently reside. I love to read al.. more..

Writing