Rain Like Gold

Rain Like Gold

A Story by Joanna Maharis
"

Rain Like Gold

"
The rain burned into the core of the bloods that is overwhelmed with his face that parades itself through my mind.  He captured her soul with his velvet voice, and took a page of my spirit away from me, as I observed him embraced in the arms of another locking their lips together.  I swayed away from this trite and dashed over to the entrance of our high school gazing out the window watching the rains crash into the grounds.  These tears from heaven turned the gray cement gold.

Sneaking up behind me brushing his hand against my back was he who damaged my blistered heart.

I turned around and stared into his soul and asked, "Why must the heaven's tears burst open?  Is it not enough for the earth to shake when the king of the jungle goes and spreads himself through giving to the lioness?  Must he move in on and prey on another heart that was never of value in the first place?"

And then he said, "I can't shield my heart from the waves of loving expulsion.  Nor would I want to.  All I can do is make the best of the light that surrounds me, and share its energy with my own choosing.  But I want to extend it unto the entire body of the river.  What I mean is that it's not concentrated toward only one direction.  For I offer my flow to that of many."

Choking on my words, I replied, "That's not what I meant.  What do you get out of strumming the strings of one's heart when clearly you would rather share your music with another?"

He rubbed his hand against my shoulder and said, "Look outside.  Look closely.  The rain is like gold.  For it has transformed the ground into a wealth of beauty.  Rather the beauty is extended.  You're never poor when the power of love is multiplied, because there is always enough to go around for eons.  Just don't overlook the showers that wash your heart."

He leaned over and kissed my right temple.  The bell rang to start the morning.  We parted ways and went to our 1st period classes.  For he was the duke of my heart.

© 2010 Joanna Maharis


Author's Note

Joanna Maharis
What do you thing of the prose and the dialogue?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this has an exquisite "old world" feel to it. Deeply written prose.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This piece has many snippets of amazing metaphor, which is true to your traditional vein. Though I find its form and meaning to be somewhat beyond me. I'm not connecting with this duke of the heart, for whatever reason.

Posted 13 Years Ago


His last reply was quite intriguing... either he is quite philosophical or one hell of a player... the story keep me engrossed so I must say it is well written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your narrator has a very distinct voice.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2010
Last Updated on June 6, 2010

Author

Joanna Maharis
Joanna Maharis

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Graduate of Western Michigan University with a BA degree in Writing, which has been my passion since the tender age of six. Grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan where I currently reside. I love to read al.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


God Made Man God Made Man

A Poem by Legion