Right Under Her Nose

Right Under Her Nose

A Story by KAREN
"

Denise is very shy, can she over come her shyness to get the man of her dreams?

"

     Denise sat at her vanity table staring at herself in the mirror.  She thought of herself as dull, boring, dispirited, you name it.  "No wonder I can't get a date," she told her reflection.  She closed her eyes and his face appeared clear as day.  Black hair, blue eyes she could get lost in, and a handsome smile that could send her to her knees.

     "Today, Jelly," she told her golden retriever.  "I'm going to march right up to what's his name and introduce myself."

     Denise hurriedly slipped into  sweats and walking shoes.  She felt exhilarated.  She was finally going to talk to him.  She hoped.  I will go talk to him she thought to herself.  Denise felt as if her life was about to climax.

     "Where are you off to?" Heather her best friend, slash sister, slash roommate asked.

     Denise's face reddened.  All of a sudden she felt overwhelmed.  "No where," she whispered.  "I'm not going anywhere."  She felt like the wind had been knocked out of her.  The joy she had felt earlier had obliterated all at once.

     Heather twirled her hair around her finger.  "My God Denise don't go all timid on me."  She put her arm around her sister's neck.  Heather knew exactly where her sister was going.  Heather popped a bubble with her gum.  "Just go to his house and introduce yourself," she told Denise, stroking Jelly's head.  The dog barked in agreement.

     "I can't," she declined.  "He'll think I'm a maniac."

     "Do something for once on impulse."

     Denise bent down to tie her shoe.  "Let's be logical," she said.  "I'm not you.  You could do it, but not me," Denise said, pulling on Jelly's leash to keep him from attacking a lizard.

     "Don't be ridiculous, you can and will do it," Heather said. "I put my foot down.  If you don't, I'm going to go right to his house and tell him your name, and leave your phone number."

     Denise's face heated up once again.   She put her hand to her heart, it felt like an explosion was going off in her chest.  "You wouldn't!" she exclamied.

     "I will if you don't."

     She knew Heather all to well.  If she said she was going to do something she would. Denise knew she could lie and tell her sister that she went to his house.  But she also  knew Heather had her ways of finding out the truth.  Denise felt immobilized as she turned and slowly headed down the sidewalk to the last house on the block where the man of her dreams lived.  Jelly slowly trailed behind her as if she knew she was about to make a fool out of herself.  Earlier she had felt elated, but now she felt nothing but dread.

     Denise hid behind the big oak tree at the end of his driveway.  He was out shirtless washing his four wheel drive.  Her breathing became shallow just looking at him.  She watched as he dipped his sponge into the soapy water and ran it over the hood of his truck.  He took a glup of water from the hose, and splashed some water on his face.  Denise smiled as she thought about the date they could have.  Maybe they would go to the movies, a walk on the beach, or a night of dancing.

     Jelly let out a bark as a little chihuahua came from around the other side of the truck.  The man jerked his head up and looked around.  He saw Denise crunched down in a huddle behind the tree.  "Thanks alot Jelly."  She knew he had seen her, and now she had to make an attempt to talk to him.  She walked slowly toward him.  "H--h-hi," she stammered.  "I--i--." Before she could finish Jelly growled at the little dog.

     "BB!" The man yelled, scooping him up into his arms.

     Jelly jumped forward, causing Denise to fall toward him.  He caught her just in time.  "Jelly sit!" She scolded.

     "What on earth!" A beautiful woman came running out of the house, and a little girl the splitting image of her father was right behind her.

     The little girl ran into his arms where she had been moments ago.  "Daddy who was that?"   The little girl asked.

     "I have know idea," he answered.

     Denise could feel eyes on her back as she headed home.  Tears filled her eyes as she let her emotions go.  Heather was waiting on the steps when she returned home.

     "What happened?" Heather asked.

     "Nothing," Denise cried.  "I didn't do it.  I found out he's married."  Denise sunk to the ground and cried into Jelly's neck.  Jelly licked her, trying to comfort her master.

     Heather handed Denise some tissue.  She dabbed at her eyes and blew her nose.  She hugged Jelly's neck, feeling nothing but empathy toward her four- legged friend.

     "Why don't you quit fantasizing for some guy you haven't even met," Heather said, getting to her feet.  "Your guy might be right under your nose," she added, pointing to the house across the road.

     Denise looked at her sister skeptically.  she shieled her eyes from the late afternoon sun and looked at the house across the road.  The Johnsons had been their neighbor for years until they retired and decided to travel the world, putting their house up for sale.  Denise hadn't realized that the house had sold.

     "I don't think I'll be inquiring on another man any time soon," Denise sniffled.

     "Suit yourself," Heather said.  But I think you ought to check him out."

     "And make a fool out of myself again?" Denise squinted her eyes as she looked at her sister.

     "What am I going to do with you?" Heather scolded.  "You need to get your butt up and try being a little more out going," she stated.  "Take a giant leap into having fun."

     Denise stood.  That was just great, her own sister thought she was boring and no fun.

     "I'm going to Jake's for the night." Heather turned and got into her car and drove away with her hair flapping in the breeze.

     Denise started toward the door, stopped and looked at the house once again.  She didn't see any sign of anyone moving in, at least not today.  She walked into the house, not realizing that Jelly didn't come.  Denise walked into the kitchen and got the carton of chocolate caramel ice cream from the freezer.  She retrieved a spoon from the drawer and started eating straight from the carton.  She closed her eyes, savoring the sweetness of the cream, letting it absorb the sadness deep in her soul.

     Before she knew it she had consumed the whol carton of ice cream.  "Get fat and ugly," she ridiculed herself.  "Surely no guy will want to look at you then," she added as she headed into the living room in search of Jelly.

     Jelly wasn't in her bed.  Denise searched the whole house to know prevail.  Jelly was nowhere to be seen.  Denise flung the door opened and ran out.  Her nerves were elevated as she took off running down the street yelling for Jelly as she went.  Denise stopped as she neared  the good looking guy's house that she had been previous hours ago.  Her chest felt that sudden tightness as she knocked on the door.

     "Hi there," he said.

     Denise rolled her tongue around in her mouth.  Then she thought of Jelly, gave herself a mental shake and said, " my dog is missing."  Her voice cracked as she told him about Jelly.  He promised he would keep his eyes opened for her golden retriever, and bring her home or get in touch with her.  Denise thanked him and took off  again in a jog.

     "Jelly!  Jelly! Jelly!" Denise shouted over and over.  She was just about to give up when she saw a nice looking guy with Jelly.  "There you are!"  She exclaimed, falling to her knees to stroke her dog.  Jelly whined with pleasure.  About that time a big great dane came around and licked Denise across the cheek.  "Well hello there big guy."

     "Hello yourself."

     Denise looked up, feeling her face turn red.  "I was talking to the dog," she stated.

     "That is Dane," he informed her.

     "Catchy name," she smiled at him.

     "I take it this is your dog?" He asked.

     Denise shook her head.  "This is Jelly, and thanks for finding her."

     "Well actually she found me.  I'm moving in my mom and dad's house and Jelly came over to welcome us," he grinned.

     "Your Josh Johnson?"

     "The one and only," he laughed.

     Denise remembered her sister's words, "right under your nose," and decided to take that gaint leap.

 

 

 

 

 Also written by: Imagination101, my twin sister! 

 

 

    

   

© 2010 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
I read and reread again! Hope I caught all mistakes! Tell us what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I noticed a few spots where you wrote know instead of no. Other then that, I enjoyed it very much :) Good job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


KAREN

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Working hard on that darn grammar! LOL
This was one of those yummy stories that just makes me want to go grab my husband's muscles! LOL jk. I really enjoyed it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


another very good story, i particurly liked the bit were the scrummy man was washing the car, yummy! you (both) write with such confidence! its lovely! another very good write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very strong story. I like the conversation. Ain't easy to lose the fear of disappointment and go forward. I like how she went to the neighbor house. A very good ending to the story. You create a interesting situation and story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sometimes that is right where one finds love,,,right under their nose,,,well written..Nice job..valentine

Posted 13 Years Ago


i forgot to say to watch out for capitalization
"Jelly! Jelly! Jelly!" denise

Posted 13 Years Ago


that was nice (wow, i need to stop saying that)
i didnt really see any mistakes except for one
i think it should be "Today, Jelly," instead of "Today Jelly,"
soooo, thats all i guess ^-^

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is fantastic, I love it. A sweet little story and characters also, nice job here, great work, keep it up!~

Posted 13 Years Ago


its amazing how one can look at themselves in the mirror and see themselves through someone else's eyes of disgust....love is truly skin deep...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! Very, very good job! You guys stayed really consistent with your story and characters. Still some grammatical mistakes, but keep learning and refining - you make a very good team!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

591 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 23, 2010
Last Updated on December 22, 2010
Tags: sister, shy, dog, love, family

Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chains Chains

A Poem by OT