Life's Losses

Life's Losses

A Poem by KAREN
"

When you loose everything that means something.

"

The cardboard box that shelters him

is covered in frosty snow.

As he breathes in the frigid air

thick fog forms in front of him.

 

He keeps vigil on the trash cans,

hoping someone will throw a morsel

of food away that they  are unable to eat

because their bellys are full.

 

The streets are empty,

except for a few other people talking.

He knows why they are whispering,

sees their stares, the pity in their eyes.

 

Numb fingers grabs hold of an old sign,

which reads, NEEDS FOOD.

He holds the sign up,

hoping a good samaritan will show mercy.

 

All hope was slipping away,

when an older man offers him a sandwhich

and hot coffee.

He wants to thank him,

but bows his head

ashamed of what he has become.

 

As the temperature drops

he snuggles under his tattered blanket.

He dreams of the past when he was successful.

He had a wife, two kids and a dog,

he was resourceful and well respected.

 

Everything that meant something to him was taken

by a drunk driver.

Being so consumed with grief,

he lost his dignity, integrity, sanity.

 

He prays for better days,

but the anger inside is so strong.

He just keeps going deeper and deeper into the

hole he has dug for himself.

There's no way out, no where to go,

except futher down.

 

Each day he holds up his sign.

Some people will help, while others pass him by,

leaving him to drown in his own  self pity.

 

 

© 2010 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
Hope it's worth reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing, yet tragic, your words remind us to be thankful for the things we do have, there is always someone who may be suffering worse than others, but yet, sometimes we don't see, until we are reminded.. Beautiful write and a great read too :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good write. Awful how lives can be shattered so very quickly..

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
mir
Very touching poem that opens up insight into many aspects of life; being thankful and taking care of what we have---of those we have, being sensitive to the needs of others, appreciation of life, etc. Thanks for sharing this marvelous write. . . . there is always worth in reading anything that helps improve the quality of life.

Posted 13 Years Ago


a heart felt dedication that most overlook; we are always left wondering what happened and why....

Posted 13 Years Ago


This one is a little darker than the others I've read from you. It's more down to earth in the sense that it focuses on something more tangible, homelessness. You write about it in a way in which the words kind of come to life, and that's cool. I felt sorry for this fictional homeless person, but mostly because It reminded me that this could be anyone of misfortune in the world.

great write. ^

-Dream

Posted 13 Years Ago


A good read, but as pointed out.. this could have read as two separate poems.. The first few verses give a clear cut vision of the pain and despair of being homeless, but you veered away with your thoughts, only to return.. although not entirely a bad thing.. it would have read more clearly, perhaps resonated much more deeply, if you split and connected the stanzas in a order that allowed your thoughts to be completed.. Hope that makes sense.. Other than that.. well conveyed idea, and imagery..

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ron
I like the first three verses as true homeless persons would (I believe) feel just like that. Next three I have found applies to begging junkies. Next two good as per a real vagrant. Last one is the junkie's ruse. Good stuff though!

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
Well of course its worth reading and more than once. This is just written so wonderfully. Full of truth and yes reality. I am one that has a tender heart towards the homeless. A week ago I bake tons of cookies and took them and some blankets and toys to the homeless shelter here. I know its not much, but thats not how they see it, they appreciate anything and everything they can get.
This is such a moving story, thank you for sharing this with me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow. Brilliant. I once thought of writing on this theme. You coudn't have done better. Do we ever ponder why the homeless are "homeless". We always see an old man, why is that? This is perfectly written with all that sensitivity and insight and it has a nice story telling feel to it..ENjoyed it a lot....

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

745 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2010
Last Updated on December 9, 2010
Tags: family dog, job, food, home

Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Into The Night Into The Night

A Poem by KAREN