True Friends

True Friends

A Story by KAREN
"

Will a boy come between two best friends?

"

     The halls at Wild Haven High School was crowded and noisy.  Tasia Kauffman pushed her way through the crowd grumbling under her breath.  She stopped in front of her locker and stared at Matt Harris, one of the most good looking guys on the football team.  She was so in awe of him that her books slipped from her grip and fell to the floor with a loud boom.   Every one stopped what they were doing and looked at her.  Tasia's face burned as she knelt down to pick up her books.

   Matt walked up to her and smiled.  The dimples on both sides of his cheeks made her want to touch them.  He rubbed his hand across his fresh shaved skin, something she had long to do.  He flexed his muscles as he bent down beside her and picked her books up and handed them to her. 

     Tasia let out a slow sigh.  "Thanks,"  she said  softly.

     Matt smiled once more, then left.  Tasia watched him until he disappeared.

*************************************************************************************

     Gayle Keiser tossed her blond hair to one side as Matt walked by.  He walked a ways, then turned around.  She licked her dry lips and tried to smile,  her heart beating faster and faster.  She tapped her foot on the floor as he headed back toward her.  Matt stopped in front of Gayle.  He stood so close that she could smell his after shave.  Oh how she wanted to hug him and kiss his red lips.

     "Hi,"  he said, bending down.  "I think you dropped this," he said, handing the watch to her.

     "Thank you, it's all the time falling off,"  Gayle said.

     "How would you like to go out tonight?" Matt asked.

     Gayle could hardly contain her excitement.  "Yes!" She shouted.

     Matt laughed, then walked toward the cafeteria with his football buddies.

***********************************************************************************

     Gayle went in search of her best friend.  She couldn't wait to tell Tasia about her date with Matt.  She had never shared her crush with her, it was time.  Gayle found Tasia sitting on the floor by her locker, crying.

     "Hey, what's wrong?"

     Tasia looked up at her friend.  She had never shared her crush with her, maybe it was time.  "I just wish Matt Harris liked me," she cried.

     "You like Matt Harris?" Gayle asked.

     "Yeah, I do."  Tasia  wiped her eyes.  "What of it?" She stared into Gayles eyes.  "You don't think I'm pretty enough?"

     Gayle looked at her, stunned.  "You're way pretty.  I didn't even mean that."  She brushed a tear away before Tasia could see it.  "Come on, let's go to lunch."

     "I'm not hungry, and besides Matt is in the cafeteria," Tasia said as she dug in her purse for a mirror.

     "So," Gayle said.

     "So," Tasia snapped.  Today he can look at me and tell I've been crying."  She brushed the wrinkles from her hot pink blouse.  She looked in the mirror.  "Ugh!"

     "I'll talk to you later."

***********************************************************************************

     Gayle found Matt at his usual table joking around with his friends.  A few wana a be girls were gathered at his table, hoping for a date.     "Hi, I need to talk to you," Gayle said in a weak voice.

     "Saved you a seat," he said.   The other girls walked away whispering about how lucky she was.

     Just as Gayle was about to try and force herself to break off her date Tasia walked up.  "I need to ask you something, Matt."

     Gayle jumped up and grabbed Tasia by the arm.  "I need to talk to you first."

     "But, I really want to do this now," Tasia said , fearing his answer.   She so hoped he would say yes and go out with her.

     Gayle didn't listen, she pulled Tasia to the side.  "I have liked Matt for a long time.  Today he finally asked me out."

     Tasia couldn't hide her tears.   She didn't even care at this point and time that Matt saw her crying. Oh, well then, you should go and have fun."

     "No, your friendship means more.  I was just about to break off our date."

     Matt over heard the girls conversation.  "Tasia, I would love to go out with you then."

     "No! Gayle's like a sister to me, and besides I don't want to be your left overs."

     Ashely McCallister walked by.  Matt ran up to  the tall slender girl.  "How about a date tonight?"

     "Oh my!" Ashely squealed.  "Yes, I would love to," she added, hugging him.

     Tasia and Gayle looked at one another, laughed, ego's bruised, but they shook it off.  They rolled their eyes at him as they passed and headed to class.

© 2011 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
For the group World of 500, this time we could make it longer. Had to write about a conversation between friends. Hope you like it. Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a good flash fiction. I enjoyed reading it. Good development and plot.

Posted 11 Years Ago


KAREN

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
"So," Gayle said. I'd but '?' instead of a coma and change said to asked. As well, 'ugh' rather than 'ug'.
""No! Gayles like a sister to me," put an apostrophe "Gayle's like a sister to me".
I liked the ending. Nice that they realized what was going on and moved on:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Aww, so sweet. Its good to read about true friendship even though in todays world, a lot of best friends let a stupid guy or girl come between them. Great read!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


this felt like something i lived through; i'm sure many can relate to the feeling of losing a love that one did not realize they were competing against with one's own beloved friend...

Posted 12 Years Ago


This ended with some humor to it. I like that way you ended this and we women do stick together if possible. I have done this in the past. I have not went out with someone because I knew my friend was interested. Love and lust are very complicated. Your characters are real and come to life. The boy a typical high school football player.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Je sounds like a conceited jack rabbit..They are better off being friends than losing each other over a big loser like him..Valentine

Posted 12 Years Ago


Both Gayle and Tasia deserve better than that creep. I'm glad they placed their friendship on a higher plane than their libidos OR their social status!

Posted 12 Years Ago


very poignant! believable convo, sometimes those are the hardest, making conversations between characters believable and make them sound different.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A TRUE FRIENDS story it is ..... really heat warming .....

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good over all story.

Needs some fine tuning in the spelling and grammar. There are a few awkward sentences and you talk about wanna be girls, what do they wanna be?

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

468 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2011
Last Updated on May 20, 2011
Tags: Girl, Boy, Friends, School

Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Answers Answers

A Poem by Robin


Ride Ride

A Poem by Robin


Rain Rain

A Poem by Robin