lost

lost

A Poem by stork
"

tanka using free form

"

seemingly
it’s lost too
this stray pup
asleep
on a old prayer flag

 

 

 

stork
 

© 2008 stork


Author's Note

stork
I'm new to writing and trying my hand at the Japanese forms. Any feedback will be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love it! The best Asian forms all have some elements in common and I think the highest of these elements is the shared ability to use a few sparse yet expressive words - or lines on paper - and through those lines, create a fully detailed, multi-hued image in the mind of the beholder. This does the job so nicely!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you James for your review of this.

I like the way you link the images of the stray puppy and the narrator and the old prayer flag to make your very perceptive comment.

Re the prayer flag - it is a length of cotton cloth (usually white) on which Tibetan Buddhist mantras/prayers are printed. The prayer flag is tacked on to bamboo poles of some 15/20 feet high. The idea is that the wind will carry the prayers. The prayer flag is put up to mark New Year, death, birth of a child or even the construction of a new house.

With appreciation,

stork

Posted 16 Years Ago


The word 'too' is very telling...it immediately compares you to this stray and is a quick way to characterisation. You, therefore, are the stray pup asleep on a prayer flag. I'm not quite sure what a prayer flag is - is it a church banner? Whatever it may be, the image the reader takes is that the stray is lost but devoted and there is a note of comfort at the end. A nice piece that does hint at the Japanese form in that it is minimal. A very touching read.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

stork
stork

Thimphu, Bhutan



About
I began writing a year ago - most short stories and some poetry and would like to get feedback to learn and improve. Hope to work towards a collection in both. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Poem by stork



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..