Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
A Stranger's Words

A Stranger's Words

A Story by John Stussy

 

 

 

           It wasn’t the stubble that speckled his jaw line, nor was it the way he leaned against the railing of the bridge, cigarette tipped down as he deftly flicked it, ashes tumbling into the empty air to fall somewhere into the bay below.  I couldn’t quite put my mind on it, but there was a touch of age to him, even if he couldn’t be older than his mid-thirties.  He gazed off, away to the east, seeming to be wherever it was he was looking than here in San Fran.

“Kael, you do know, right?”  Her sweet voice brought my attention right back to her. We had been boarding along, and Lisa went into one of her quieter moods.  The brown hair that framed her strong features was dulled by the way her eyes shone, a matching yet intensified brown.  We had been friends growing up, toughened each other up the whole time.  I had harbored feelings for her since the fourth grade, and here we were, both of us twenty years old.  I still hadn’t brought myself to telling her how much she meant to me, for fear of seeming weak to her.  That was why I was so shocked when she started opening up to me and told me the depth of her caring. I had zoned out, thinking of the possible implications of what she was saying, and trying to find a way for it to make sense in a way that I wouldn’t get my hopes up.  “I care so much about you, more than you know.  Just wanted you to know that, and that I’ve been feeling a way I have never felt before. It’s an adventure, sharing this friendship with you.”

“I know, I treasure our friendship immensely as well. There’s never been a friend as cool as you.” I smiled a winning smile, and our hands touched for the briefest moment. The cars sped by, their back drafts tossing her hair before her face.  I brushed her hair aside, looked into her eyes.  I swear I had never seen a smile as radiant as hers before, and the way she made my heart feel so complete was a thing of wonder for me.  I had never known this.  Smiling sheepishly, I wrapped my arm around her waist and we looked out into the water below.  Her head rested on my shoulder, and I could feel her whole body relax, and minutes dragged on in a blissful eternity.

My heart completely stopped at her next words. Barely whispered, I could hardly believe I heard her right.  If it hadn’t been for the strength she exudes in all things, her confidence as sure as the treading steps of a panther, I would have mistaken the words for a stray gust of wind.

“I love you.”

I didn’t know how to respond, it hit me that hard.  How could I voice it back, the words that take such courage and conviction to say with full meaning?  All I did was nod, and started forming some sort of intelligible response to this simple statement.  We remained as we were for a few more minutes.  She moved closer to me, and uttered a sigh.  “Time for us to head our separate ways.  I have dance in an hour, and you still have that skate routine you were going to put together.”  Her face showed no sign of sadness over my lack of a response, in fact she was back to her normal self.  I nodded, and she stepped on her board and started off in the other way. I watched her until she was out of sight, still trying to form a response in my head.

“You’d best fix that mistake when you can boy.”  His voice startled me. Quiet but resolute, he had no trouble catching my attention.  I walked over to him, stood next to him. The quiet strength he held emanated from him, making everything else seem to stand out.  Still he seemed older, but I couldn’t figure out why.  He looked down into the water, not making eye contact.  His black curls fell over his eyes, a mane that seemed to fit him somehow.  He grinned, twirling a fresh unlit cigarette between his fingers.  “It was only blatantly obvious how you feel towards her, you should have just said it.  No use hiding the words.”

I grinned sheepishly, eyes lowered.  “It seems out of character for the both of us, to be given in to that sentiment.  I know, I should have said something but I can’t say those words.”  I leaned on the railing and shrugged.  “Can’t help who we are.”

The man chuckled and turned to face me.  A good natured grin and gentle face met me, with eyes that were deep brown, eyes that studied rather than stared.  Those eyes seemed to have seen much, and still somehow maintained a mischievous glint to them.  He lifted his cigarette to his lips and lit it, took a long draw then looked down, thinking for a moment.  He met my gaze again, and with a half-smile, spoke once again.

“Well, I know how much younger folks dislike the speeches of older people like myself, so I’ll give you the choice. Want the upfront words, a pat on the back with good wishes, or do you want to sit through the long and arduous tale of my own woes, which will in all likelihood bore you to death?”

I already liked the man, his grin put me at ease and was rather contagious.  Besides, I was curious to hear someone else’s life story so I could stop thinking about my own complications. I waved a hand for him to proceed, and he took a long, slow draw on his cigarette. The tip of the Marlboro glowed, and he cleared his throat.

“I was your age not too long ago, about fifteen years ago from the look of you.  Nineteen. Good old stupid age.  Life had tossed its punches at me, and I’d lived.  Nothing too serious, just enough to make changes.  But that happens with everyone at some point.  I wanted to be alone at the time, was quite content being a lone wolf in society’s melting pot of culture and whatnot.  If I had to have been with a woman, I wanted a gal who was confident enough to tell me to back down when I was doing something stupid, which was more often than I would have liked to admit at the time.  I wanted someone brave enough to expose my own mistakes to me.”

He looked to the east again, the smile gone, replaced by a look that revealed nothing at all.  His cigarette hung at his fingertips, temporarily forgotten.  He sighed, then continued.  “When the gal who happened to be exactly that came about I wasn’t prepared.  I was too busy pursuing isolation, anger, destruction.  A friendship with her changed that into something else, brought me wisdom, courage, resolution.  I was too stupid to realize what was before me, and I ended up losing it, because she opened herself to me.  She let down her walls and allowed me to come close.  I made a stupid move, seems to be a trademark for me, I failed to tell her how I felt about her, the complete truth.  Well, I’ve been paying for it, I still feel it without any doubt.  That, boy, is the one regret I wish I could repair in my life more than any other.”  His shoulders sagged slightly, and I nodded, taking in what he said.  His leather jacket shielded him from a blast of wind from a passing semi truck that my tee shirt failed to protect me from, and I shivered.  He paid no mind to it whatsoever.  After taking a look at the cigarette, seemingly disgusted with it, as if it had wronged him, he flicked it away, only half smoked.

“Ah well, been sliding downhill since, can’t get enough of a grip on my surroundings either to stop the slide.  The world is closed to me.  There’s a mental film between it and I, a sheet that can be seen through but not pushed through.  Once again I relish self destruction, the endangerment of myself.  Care is gone and now I take what pleasure I can from the slow means of dying I can find.”  He gripped the railing, looked past it, then lifted himself up to sit on it precariously.  He swung his legs back and forth, not seeming to mind the fatal drop below him.  “Look kid, call me a selfish man.  I’ll admit you’re right, because I am nothing more than that.  But I can’t let someone else go through this, this road isn’t the way for everyone else to follow.  Love will do this to you.  A gap can be opened that will be too wide for anyone or anything to traverse, and it will keep growing, swallowing the land at your feet until it finally swallows you.  It can make a man barren of anything, though he may be surrounded by paradise.”

With this admonishment the man lowered himself onto the other side of the rail, hanging on with a relaxed grip and standing on the edge of the bridge.  “It can also be the best thing to happen to you, despite the hardships.  You have to let yourself be what you see now as weakness.  It’s through this you gain strength, through the trust in the one who is so dear to you.  She has seen this, and she is gambling with it herself.  Don’t let this pass you by boy, it will be worth the gamble.  Can you afford to lose it all?”  He winked, and turned around, facing the bay without another word.  I stood behind him, staring as well.  I thought about what he said.  Started to turn my board towards home and got ready to kick off.

“Nuh-uh, wrong way.  Better catch her before she changes her mind boy, women tend to do that.”  The smile was back, and he winked, gesturing the other way.  “What are you waiting for? Get to it!”

 

© 2009 John Stussy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
Excellent work, my friend! Friendship is the key to a long time relationship of love. Without it we cannot weather the storms that life throws at us. Friends understand one another. Know one another better than anyone else in their lives. Friends stand by you when no one else will. Friends, true friends are there unconditionally. So, quite often we find friends becoming intimate lovers with the a foundation strong enough to survive nature's worst. Outstanding piece of art!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love that it's lighthearted! I felt a little bad for the older man but glad he showed the younger one what a fool he was being. ;) Congrats, love. You deserve this. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Stussy

11 Years Ago

Haha, glad you liked it, even if it wasn't like my usual stuff. I'm not sure about deserving it haha.. read more
Took me two reads to realise what the man is about to do ..

There are quite a few voices in this story, not just the three obvious characters but a Wisdom and a Sadness too, they're locked inside the man but so conspicuous in what they say. I found some of the wording really touching, felt emotional .. ' Love will do this to you. A gap can be opened that will be too wide for anyone or anything to traverse, and it will keep growing, swallowing the land at your feet until it finally swallows you. It can make a man barren of anything, though he may be surrounded by paradise.”

Real and unselfish friendship is surely the heart of love? A wonderful story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awsome job wth the story

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
I am in love with that old man! This story was fantastic...I love the fact that it’s romantic without being soppy! I can just read it over and over!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read the whole thing. This is incredible! :) You did an awesome job here--I already like that crazy old man

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Stussy

11 Years Ago

Thank you haha. I've been toying with the idea of writing more, I enjoyed writing the old man's char.. read more
This is an amazing write... I was rapped up in the first paragraph with it's descriptive narration. The story just drew me in further still.

" I would have mistaken the words for a stray gust of wind.

“I love you.”

Wonderful line... loved the entire story. Great Job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Stussy

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Wrote this one a while back. I'm usually a horror writer, but so.. read more
Ghost of Jupiter

11 Years Ago

well you are wonderfully suited to write in a verity of genres. Good work
John Stussy

11 Years Ago

Heh, thanks again. :)
This is an amazing story, I loved it all. I am a sucker for anything that has to do with love :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John Stussy

11 Years Ago

I just added you. Welcome to the Cafe, if you need any help with navigation or have any other questi.. read more
kimmy

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) You have helped me with the chapters so far, well as long as it did as I wanted.. read more
John Stussy

11 Years Ago

Feel free to shot me a message if you need help around here.
While reading this, I was smiling. After reading it, I felt like crying. I've never such a wonderful story where two strangers share words, and one of them being the advisor of some sort. It is true that no one can afford to lose a precious relationship especially it began with friendship. And not every friendship could turn into an intimate relationship. So precious.

I really love your story. Nicely written. Keep on the good work! :) Thank you for sharing such wonderful love and friendship in a piece of writing. I'm glad I stopped by for a read :)


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nicely done... the story has great detail and descriptions and certainly a lesson that anyone who lets fear stand in the way of love should understand.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mmm, wow, this is a great piece. Wonderfully written, you did an awesome job and I totally enjoyed it. Great work!!!

Heather

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

851 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 28, 2009
Last Updated on November 6, 2009

Author

John Stussy
John Stussy

AZ



About
Cook, writer, reader, musician. I don't bte, unless asked to or bitten first. My site's link is to some recordings of my poetry, and I might add some recordings of me playing my sax onto there too... more..

Writing
< - < -

A Poem by John Stussy


Liars Liars

A Poem by John Stussy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..