For The Fallen

For The Fallen

A Story by December Blaize
"

My Memorial Day contribution, in honor of all those who have fought and died for this beautiful country America.

"

There are many holidays celebrated in America, some religious, some national, some purely fun.  These days, regardless of their intended significance, have tragically been reduced to a reason for a three-day-weekend, a break from school or work, in the mind of the masses.  But there are those who refuse to let the power and sacredness of these days die out without a fight.  I would like to take this space to pay tribute to the brave men and women throughout American history who did fight and die for a cause-- a sacrifice that ensures that you may take a trip to the beach, have a barbeque, gather with friends, and read & publish on this website.  These are only the small freedoms we enjoy, but no matter the scale, as it has been said time and time again: FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.

Memorial Day is when we honor those who have paid for it with the ultimate sacrifice.

When you hear The Star-Spangled Banner, our national anthem, and you place your hand over your heart and stand up straight, I ask you to listen.  Listen for the voices of those who valiantly fought for this country, those who fought for you.  Listen for the unmistakable last breaths of those who died for this country, died for you!  As the music of the anthem pounds deep within you, listen for the ghosts that sing the words along with it.  If you listen with your heart, not your ears, the fallen will not become the forgotten.

The next time you pass by a cemetery with a veterans' section, take a look.  Visit the final resting places of those who did NOT give up the fight, did NOT turn their backs when their country called, did NOT die in vain!  Pay your respects, because no matter what your religious beliefs are, you are standing on holy ground.  As you look at the hundreds of white headstones, say "thank you".

War is not pretty, and is not always justified.  It is bloody and destructive and harsh and real.  You may oppose our current presence in the Middle East, you may oppose the president, you may oppose war itself, but never oppose the soldier. 

I am aware that these words can in no way convey the exact meaning, the exact cause of Memorial Day, of what it means to honor those who bravely served and died.  But I believe it would be wrong to let their sacrifice go unsung.  No, I know in my heart it would be wrong.  I only hope that others may be inspired to feel the same.  So if you remember nothing else, remember this:

FREEDOM DOES NOT COME FREE.  THE PRICE IS PAID BY THE FALLEN.

Thank you, veterans and may the fallen soldiers rest in peace.

© 2012 December Blaize


Author's Note

December Blaize
Memorial Day was originally observed on May 30th, but the government changed it to "the last Monday in May" as part of an act that made all federal holidays create three-day-weekends. It is a sickening slap in the face when everyone at school came back today, Tuesday, and all they did was complain about the sunburns they received at the beach. I attended the Memorial Day service at Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, North Carolina, and spent hours paying respects to the dead soldiers. The rows and rows of white grave markers caused me to tear up, but I believe tears on sacred ground are much more precious even than diamonds.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for this beautiful piece of writing. I along with you feel that the purpose of that great holiday is now in vain. I pleases me to see that there are still people out there for the work we do. Thank you very much!

Posted 11 Years Ago


December Blaize

11 Years Ago

You're very welcome, and thank you for taking the time to read and review this! I felt I had to get.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Added on May 30, 2012
Last Updated on May 30, 2012
Tags: veterans, fallen, memorial day, honor, respect, dead, America

Author

December Blaize
December Blaize

NC



About
I've been pretty much inactive for a while now. If you're reading this, thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoy my writing, but just know that I have no plans to post anything new at the moment.. more..

Writing