The Vampire I Have Become

The Vampire I Have Become

A Story by Sunshine Raines
"

The night was calm not a cloud in the sky. The stars shown bright and the moon had an ominous glow about it. It seemed the world was at peace, but I was hungry. I am a Vampire, I live in Jersey City just a stones throw away from New York City. My name is

"

 

 

Jersey City isn’t much of a place to look at; the streets are run down and polluted with trash and bums. It may not be much of a place to live in, but at least I could find a place to sleep in the daytime and I could live off the bums if I wanted to. This human detritus would never be my first choice, as their cankerous blood tastes as nasty as they look. No my first choice for nourishing liquid satisfaction is a tasty uppity blond woman and New York City is the best place to find them.


I’ve not always been a Vampire, no at one time I was human, a man with a future. A partner in a well known and respected law firm, a house and I was in love with a beautiful blond woman who broke my heart. That's when things turned ugly for me when I came home from work and caught her in bed with my best friend. The pain and betrayal I felt was enough to drive me over the edge. I left our house that day trying to get a handle on the situation, but the more I thought about them the angrier I became. A couple of days later she wanted to meet with me and talk, okay yeah I could talk. So I met her, but just seeing her made me hate her so much more and all I could see was her in our bed, rolling around in sweaty abandon with another man. My vision blurred and the pain in my head became unbearable. I grabbed her by the throat and squeezed the life out of her with my bare hands.


To my surprise, as I stared at her now lifeless body, I felt no remorse. The pain was gone and for the moment I felt so good. Even now as I think about it I can't help but smile. As the days and weeks went by I found more women to fulfil my need for death, to ease the pain and suffering inside me. I can justify for my actions even now, I knew I was saving some poor soul from the awful heartache of betrayal. As the Midnight Strangler I made a difference in the world. Hunted by the police and labelled a serial killer, I knew I was doing the right thing and I was never caught. Each woman I killed, every blonde b***h’s life I took only eased the pain a little, but never for long. So I decided to take my own life, to end it all after I had saved one more man from my fate. So I slit my own throat and lay bleeding to death happy in the knowledge that the world was now a better place because of me.


Only things did seem to end for me. Instead of oblivion I had been brought back to life, but things didn't feel the same. I opened my eyes and stared directly into the eyes of my maker. His eyes were a marble green, full of malice, which seemed to pierce my mind all the way to my soul. His hair was a dingy dark brown colour cropped short and neatly combed as if it would never fall out of place. His face was pail, almost bone white and even sitting I guessed him to be about six feet tall with a slender build and hint of solidness. Stalking people for as long as I have you tend to notice these things pretty quickly, so you know what you are up against. As I sat up and reached for my throat. He just looked at me and laughed.


“Don't worry about that mate you’re all healed now” he said in a matter of fact tone.


“W…what happened, where am I and who the hell are you?” I had never been so lost for words in my life. The last thing I remembered was cutting my own throat.


“You had a nasty little cut there mate” he said reading my thoughts. “Next time you should try cutting with a little more conviction” he chuckled. “Oh but that won't help you anymore”


“What do you mean?”


“I mean you should try cutting deeper now that a flesh wound won't kill you”


“No, what do you mean it won't help me anymore?” I asked still confused.


“I knew what you were talking about” he said with a laugh. “I’ve been following you for some time now. When I first saw you I knew something was different about you, the way you moved, the way you walked. It was almost as if you had it all together. I like that in a person, it makes there blood so robust.” He closed his eyes raising his face to ceiling and brought his fingers to his mouth as though he were kissing them.

“What are you?” I knew the answer to that even before he spoke again.


“Not just me my friend, what are we” an evil little grin came across his face as he saw the reality of his words sank in.


“You mean I'm... a V”


“Yes my friend a Vampire”


“Why? Why didn’t you just let me die?” I asked.


“Like I said I followed you and I was about to take your life myself. As I got closer I began to read your thoughts, thoughts of murder. I could feel your pain, your lust for death and your immersion in the act itself. So I stopped and watched you. I watched you for days. I saw you take that woman into the ally and with hatred in your heart you killed her. I remember thinking what a waste, but at the same time I was intrigued by you. Then you cut your own throat, well my friend that would have been more of a waste then the blood of the woman you killed. So I came over and asked you if you really wanted to die. Of course you couldn't talk, but you shook your head and shed a little tear.” he was smiling at this thought. “So I gave you my blood to drink.”


As I walked through the streets of Jersey City these memories flooded my mind. I have now been a Vampire for two years. I must say they have been the best two years I can remember. I’ve been hunting without Harlan with me for only a week and the freedom of the night is like nectar to me. Harlan Hathaway is my maker and mentor when told me his name and how he had survived for almost two hundred years, I knew this had happened for a reason. For the last two years, Harlan has been teaching me about being a Vampire. He taught me what to do if I could not make it back to my shelter before daybreak: how to keep to the shadows while keeping my victim in sight and how to judge the right moment to make my move. I can now make people forget they even saw me if I’m caught while making a kill. Most importantly he taught me the restraint to stop feeding just before the heart stopped. I cherished each and every lesson as I drain the life’s blood from my prey.


Taking a short cut across the water to the City of New York I feel the anticipation of the hunt growing, but I can wait. Hiding in the shadows I watch and wait as each new person enters or leaves the bar. As always I’m looking for just the right one to feed on. Finally the obligatory beautiful blond with hair that cascades to just above the middle of her back appears. Dressed to kill and be killed in a silky red dress with spaghetti straps. Cut low to her waist at the back in a riot of exposed flesh and with no bra in sight as she jiggles to the beat of her own sexuality. Clearly she was here for seductive reasons. I had not been a Vampire long enough to read minds, before I bite them, but you didn't have to be a mind reader to know what she was after. As I left the shadows and appeared before her she wasn’t afraid. The parking lot of a bar was obviously somewhere she felt comfortable and she’d probably spent many nights out here for one reason or another. Tonight would be her last.


I approach carefully looking her up and down and I am not disappointed. Beautiful and soulless she is smiling at me without a though in her head and I can tell she is full of the base instincts of a treacherous w***e. Silently I take her in my arms. She tilted her head slightly exposing her long thin neck to my lips. As my fangs extend I bite down and oh her blood tasted as sweet as a red grape on a summer day. I feast and gorge myself as her heart pumps slower and slower until almost the last pitiful beat. As I pull away I look into her eyes clouded over in death and say the last words she would ever hear. “Rest in peace, b***h.”


After getting rid of the body I decided to enjoy the rest of my evening out with an after dinner stroll around the city. I felt like a god with my newly acquired powers. The pain in my heart was no longer there, but the thrill of the kill had taken on a deeper emotional charge for me. Still an a high as I walked down an alley I didn’t notice the three young men standing in the shadows.

“Hand over the cash, f*g” one of them said to me.


I kind of chuckled and replied with a slight grin on my face “this is your lucky night. I have already fed this evening so if you just turn and leave I will let you can live.”


They looked at one another and the one that spoke lashed out at me with a knife stabbing me in the side. My eyes turned dark green and my fangs sprang out, I looked at the knife in my side then to them.
“But I could go for some desert.”


I grabbed the one that stabbed me by the head biting into his neck I ripped it open spraying his blood on his friend. Tossing him aside to bleed to death I grabbed the one nearest to me. While I held him off the ground by his shirt I looked at the other one still standing there in fear.


“This is where you should be running.” I said with blood dripping from my chin.


Trying to scream as if he was just realizing what was going on I ripped his throat out and he fell limply to the ground. I looked at the one in my grasp his fear was palpable and I gloried in the scent of his blood. Not wanting to take the fear from him, as I so easily could, I smiled showing my fangs and in an instant I was draining him of his life. When I had finished with him I suddenly remembered the knife in my side and pulled it free thinking it was so nice to be dead.

Feeling as though that was enough for one evening I walked back to Jersey City where I could find shelter from the approaching daylight. When I arrived at our underground shelter Harlan was already there.


“Successful night’s hunting?” he asked.


“I thoroughly enjoyed myself thank you.” I replied with due reverence to my maker.

We talked for some time about my powers as a vampire and he promising to show me more in the coming evening.


“This evening has been long so take your rest and tomorrow night we will hunt together”


I found my way to my resting place and with thoughts of the evening in my head I drifted off to a satisfying sleep.



 

 

 

© 2009 Sunshine Raines


Author's Note

Sunshine Raines
Please let me know any thing you can about this story. I am open to all suggestions

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, a serial killer - turned vampire. He's certainly the evil vampire we were discussing on VL! I enjoyed his encounter with the three guys in the alley, but the ruthless killing of blonde women disturbed me a little as it's rather close to the bone of real serial killer cases.
It was well structured and the fight/kill scenes were full of vivid descriptives. Is this chapter one of a longer tale, or a short story?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

They are only small edits, could I do them for you and the email them to you and you can see if you like the it? I wont change anything and it would be easier than explaining what I mean. Let me know what you think.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Craig has made the transition from poem to short story really well. The are one or two points that need a little work, but all in all it''s great. I look forward to reading the next chapter in Craig's death.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow!, Now this is amazing I love it.
I would redo the first paragraph a bit.
It's all thrown toegther in spots.
I love the content. It's a wonderful read.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great story how you've turned a serial murderer into a vampire. I think you could really expand on this story. For example, I wanted to know more about how the psychology of a serial murder transitions into a vampire.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It's an interesting story with a serial killer being turned into a vampire.

There is some nice description throughout. The description of the woman in the red dress is well done although I don't think you need to mention she has no bra, the fact that her back is naled is enough.

You gave the vampire/serial killer some creepy personality with his actions and words. I really like where he told the third guy should be running.

The first paragraph reads a little like a bullet list. It's several sentences all giving a different description. It doesn't flow well like the following paragraph talking about Jersey.

You have a few run on sentences such as:

He was sitting at the time but I guessed him to be about six feet tall slender build with a hint of solidness, when you stalked people as long as I have you tend to take notice of these thing pretty quickly so as to know what you are up against.

read that out loud and I think you'll see the long breath you need to get through it. There are a few places with long sentences.

I think this makes a great short story, if it is going to be a longer piece you are going to lose readers because the main character is a serial killer although if you really get into the head of someone who likes to kill that could make an interesting read.

Hope this helps





This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow, a serial killer - turned vampire. He's certainly the evil vampire we were discussing on VL! I enjoyed his encounter with the three guys in the alley, but the ruthless killing of blonde women disturbed me a little as it's rather close to the bone of real serial killer cases.
It was well structured and the fight/kill scenes were full of vivid descriptives. Is this chapter one of a longer tale, or a short story?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2009
Last Updated on July 28, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Sunshine Raines
Sunshine Raines

Magazine, AR



About
Hello, I have been writing poetry for most of my life and have recently began to expand to short stories. I really enjoy telling the stories I write and hope you will like them but above all I seek to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..