One

One

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

 

 

 

It rained the day of Julie's funeral. My younger brother was one of the pall bearers and in spite of the anguish I felt at losing my friend, I was proud of how grown up he looked.

 

As I thought about what I had promised Julie, it dawned on me, Dave didn't know. How was I suppose to keep it? I felt my heart sink. What if I couldn't keep it?

 

A loud clap of thunder startled me out of my worry. For a moment I let my eyes take in my surroundings; the minister and Julie's coffin; the pall bearers, Matthews broad shoulders made him stand out, then there were Julie's friends and family. Eventually, my eyes came to rest on Dave and the three boys.

 

Julie once told me that Dave was her inspiration and the boys were her miracles. Now, as I remembered, I wondered if it would be the same for me.

 

A jagged finger of lightening lit up the sky behind them and, William, the youngest, wrapped his arms tightly around his father's neck. Dave looked heaven ward and I could see his mouth move. He looked so lost and alone.

 

Jason's voice drifted on the damp air, "Are you praying Daddy?"

 

Dave knelt to embrace Jason and Mark reached to take William. When the baby wrapped his arms around his neck, Mark's eye filled with tears, and his mouth trembled. He held William tightly in his arms until Dave drew them close.

 

The sight of the four of them clinging to one another broke my heart. Dave looked up, tears on his face, his eyes churning with turmoil mirroring the storm around us. The pain in their tumultuous blue depths drowned out my own worries and left me longing to comfort him.

 

A second flash of lightening lit up the sky and the crash of thunder that followed it was so loud that it made my ears hurt.

 

Dave was physically startled and the baby began to wail. Even Matthew, who normally gloried in violent storms looked worried.

 

Mark tried to sooth William, but the baby just cried harder and struggled to get down. Finally to keep from dropping him, Mark set him down.

 

As soon as William's feet touched the earth he began to run towards his mother's open grave. It was Matthew that caught him.

 

Matthew and I are closer than most brothers and sisters. I had told him of my promise to Julie. I was not sure what he thought, but now, he carried William to me. Almost as though he had read my mind, he handed him to me, and gave me a sad wink that said, nows your chance. When I just stood there, he nudged me then gave me a encouraging smile before walking back to where the pall bearers were standing. I was turning to carry the baby to Dave just as he arrived.

 

Dave's face was ashen and he was shaking so hard that his teeth chattered. He reached for William with hands that shook. When the baby clung to my neck, crying “Mama”, his father began to cry too.

 

 

Ruth 2:12 The LORD recompense thy work, and be thy reward complete from the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to take refuge.'



© 2008 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
This is the first write of this chapter. No revisions have been made yet, just spell check.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

They were not the only ones in tears....

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sad. There is a deeper story here, not sure what it is or if I'm even right. Despite the sadness, I am liking the story. Susan is so guilt ridden and doesn't know what to do about the promise to her friend. Good job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


What Coyote says sums up my feelings too...

Posted 13 Years Ago


The story is very sad. In a death when small children are involved is very difficult. What words can heal the pain of a child. A strong chapter. A lot of pain and sadness in this chapter. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

572 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Six Six

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


Five Five

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton