Six

Six

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

Dave and the boys stayed with us for a week before going home and when they left I couldn't believe how much I missed them.  It is the laughter that I missed the most and the sound of running feet.  So when Dave called to see if I could watch the boys while he worked I jumped at the chance.

That first week of keeping the boys was an eye opening experience.  I soon became accustomed to Jason's ever changing collection of creepy crawly pets and was just thankful that he didn't expect me to hold each of them.  Mark, a clone of Dave, followed William everywhere.  It wasn't so much his appearance that was like Dave, but how he carried himself, how he expressed himself and how he squared his tiny shoulders before lifting William to carry him back inside when they were out playing.  Yes, Mark was a small version of his dad in all ways but appearance.  Of the three boys Mark looks the most like Julie.  He has her eyes, her curly blond hair, and her brilliant smile but there is no mistaking who his father is.  And then there is William.

What an odd little boy he is.  He disappeared one day and we searched the house for him until No'hta'wiy called us to the porch, motioning us to silence.  William's soft lisping voice floated in the air and we followed the sound until it led us to my garden. "Here you go lil planth.  Here's your drink of wather."  He carefully poured water around each plant, patting each one as he passed.  When he finished watering them he returned the watering can to it's spot by the downspout, then came back to sit by the smallest tomato plant in the garden.  He talked to it and stroked its leaves until Dave called to him.  At the sound of his Dad's voice he reached over to stroke the plant again, "Bye Bye lil planth.  Be good.  My Daddy is calling me."  Then he came running down the path, eye's dancing in joy, an elated smile across his face.  "I wather Miss Susan's garden Daddy!  Her planths are so prethy!"  When he reached Dave he didn't stop, just wrapped his arms around his thigh before shimmying up his leg into his arms.  After that anytime William disappeared we checked the garden.  The spot next to his tomato plant soon had a permanent indention from his many visits.

***
Mattie was right.  Life with the boys is stimulating and entertaining.  In the short span of a week they are so thoroughly a part of me that I can't imagine living without them.  But Dave is still an enigma.  Some days when he picks the boys up he is gruff and short and others he seems to want to stay much longer then he does.  On those days the silence is pregnant.   I feel like there are things that he wants, no needs, so badly to say, but he never does.  Those days seem to happen more and more often.  I really don't know, I just know that  I'm finding that my day doesn't really begin until Dave drops the boys off and it ends when they go home, long before nightfall.  I feel more like their mom everyday, but I still haven't figured out how to tell Dave about my promise.  I'm not sure he would want to know.  More worrisome is that I don't think he sees me as an adult.  I think he still sees me as the child that babysits them.  So I wait and I worry.  I try to pray when I stop long enough to think about it.  Each day I feel closer to the boys and further away from Julie's husband and maybe that is the problem.  He still feels like Julie's husband to me.

***
Isaiah_46:4: "Even to your old age I am He; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you" I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.


© 2010 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

love the watering planths.....this chapter gave us just a bit more insight into Susans world...very fine work here

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is nicely written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this was endearing...the boy and watering the 'planths'.
reminds me of a dream I had once ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


The problem of life can create separation. We can built bridges to cross in sadness and trying to understand life. A very good chapters. Open up new questions to understand.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 2, 2010
Last Updated on April 2, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Five Five

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


One One

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton