The Challenge of Love Chapter Twelve

The Challenge of Love Chapter Twelve

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

That Sunday family meal started something I was afraid to believe in. A tangible hunger for a family, for Julie's family. It was no longer a promise to keep, but a longing that left a void that had to be filled.

The promise I made scared me, but this longing overwhelmed me and that was terrifying. When I didn't see the boys and Dave I longed for them. When I knew I was going to see them I was torn between excitement and fear. No, that isn't completely true. It was when Dave was going to be there that the excitement and fear raged inside of me.

As the heat of the long summer days wore on I wondered what was wrong with me. This was what Julie wanted. It was what I had promised her. Why was I so afraid now that Dave had shown interest?

After that first rushed kiss, Dave went out of his way to find ways to be near me. And I found ways to make sure that we were never alone. The hunger in his eyes scared me. Always gentle and quiet, he slowly drew me ever closer to him. His gentleness pierced my wall of anxiety, drawing me close, binding me to him even as I fought my fears.

One hot summer afternoon we took the boys to the river to cool in the shallows. After finding a calm place for the boys to play, I sat on the bank's edge, dangling my feet in the cold water. Dave waded in with the boys, always keeping them within arms range.

I remembered No'hta'wiy bringing Mattie and me here. Mattie, not much older then William, caught his first fish not far from where I was seated. I learned to swim, albeit badly, just around the bend. The image of a much younger No'hta'wiy standing in the water flashed through my mind. Then a shrill squeal brought me from my reverie.

The terrified sound had me in the water and halfway to William, all memories vanishing in my desperate attempt to reach him.

My reckless effort to reach William slowed when I slipped and tumbled headlong into the water. In a frenzy, I floundered on, face down in the water, arms and legs churning in desperation. When arms surrounded me and pulled me from the water I fought them.

Beset with worry I struggled to free myself from the unwanted embrace. Over and over I heard that terrified scream as it echoed in my mind. Strength I didn't know I had surged through me as I kicked and screamed my way to freedom. William stood in front of me eyes wide with shock. Grabbing him into my arms I pulled him to my chest. His small hands pat my face and traced the hot tears as they rolled down my cheeks.

Again strong arms surrounded me. My shuddering form was pulled to a hard wall of support. I was held there until the trembling subsided and I became aware of my surroundings. It was then that I recognized the wall as Dave's warm, heaving chest. Suddenly I was very aware of the beating of his heart, the strength of his arms as they held me against him and the warmth of his breath as he whispered against my neck. I felt small arms encircling each leg and looked down into the fearful faces of Jason and Mark. Slowly the world stilled, water rushed around my legs, birds sang and the sky reappeared in all its blue splendor.

At Dave's request, Mark and Jason waded out of the water and onto the bank. William wrapped his arms around my neck just as I was lifted off my feet and enfolded in Dave's arms. He carried me to the shore and eased me down onto the bank, then reached to take William from me. William's small sticky kisses covered my face then he ran to help Mark and Jason at the truck.

When Dave settled on the bank beside me I was overcome with selfconsciousness and looked away. I started when he took my chin in his hand, pulling me to face him. Hunger was in his eyes, turning them a dark and stormy blue. They pulled me into their swirling depths until all I was aware of was the beating of my heart hammering in my ears. When his lips touched mine I jumped and looked for some reassurance in them.

Dave wrapped his arms around me and his kiss deepened. The outside world vanished as he held me. It was the giggling voices that brought everything back into focus. With a sheepish grin he turned me loose and went to help the boys pull the food from the truck, leaving me to a jumble of thoughts and feelings.

Wondering what, exactly, had just happened I watched him tickle the boys as they set the food out. Then, shaking my head to clear it, I went to help.



© 2010 Norma M Sutton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You create a nice place to be. Water, friends and thoughts. I like the description of activities and thoughts going through the young girl head. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good job. Maybe he did know about the promise after all and this is his way of saying that its okay with him.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

409 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 25, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing