The Challenge of Love Thirteen

The Challenge of Love Thirteen

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton


The silent ride home was punctuated with giggles drifting from the back seat.  Sneaking a glance at Dave showed me a big grin.  Leaning back against the headrest, I closed my eyes.  The terror of the afternoon left me drained and oddly enough, empty feeling.  With my eyes closed I could remember the terror I felt.  My cheeks felt warm when I remembered Dave's arms around me as he pulled me against his body.  
 
Sneaking another look at Dave's profile and seeing the smile still there I wondered what he was thinking about.  With the children's voices murmuring behind me and the sun's rays in my face I felt comforted.  With diligence I strove to keep my mind in the present. 

The drive finally came to a end.  Dave stopped the truck, then before I could get out, came around and opened my door.  The grin on his face had me looking at my feet and blushing.  The events of the day had unbalanced me.  My whispered, "thank you", split his face into a absurdly wide grin.  Nervous, I passed him and walked to the door, oblivious to the scuffle behind me.

Three pairs of small hands tugged me to a stop and weren't satisfied until I knelt for hugs and kisses.  Followed by calls of goodbye and see you tomorrow as they clambered back into the truck, each jockeying for the best position at a window.  Dave accompanied me to the door in companionable silence.  Upon reaching it his eyes twinkled and he tugged me to a stop, the look on his face mimicking those of the boys just a few minutes earlier. 

The absurdity of his imitation made me giggle.  Then the twinkle in his eyes darkened into something more adult.  His hands which had tugged at mine a few minutes before pulled me to him.  Before I could think of protesting I was enfolded in his arms.  Daring a look into his eyes and seeing hunger there scared me.    The strength of his arms arms around me assured me that I was trapped.  Something of how I was feeling must have shown. 

His embrace loosened, but he didn't completely turn me loose.  A shadow of sadness passed over his face and eyes.  I felt his body droop.  His sadness pulled at me.  Almost of it's own accord my hand reached out to touch his cheek.  The stubble pricked the palm of my hand as I traced his cheek.  With a deep sigh he covered my hand with his, then turned to kiss the palm of my hand. 

When he looked at me again, there was a question in his eyes.  He touched my face with a finger.  I looked up at him he carefully pulled me to him, folding his arms around me and resting his chin on top of my head.  The slow steady beat of his heart under my ear calmed me.  Timidly I put my arms around him, wondering at the width and strength of his back.  We stood in each others arms for a unknown period of time.  In fact stood there until the truck door opened and slammed. 

With a sigh he turned me loose and turned to leave.  Watching him walk away I attempted to understand what I was feeling.  I was sitting on the steps thinking for a long time after the truck drove out of sight.  Eventually the bugs drove me inside to my room. 

Replaying the day in my head my emotions ran a gamut.  Even after I closed my eyes and fell asleep those memories permiated my dreams.


© 2010 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
If you see any typos or other problems I would appreciate knowing about them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very nice chapter. The first touches of love are never forgotten. Holding hands and sweet kisses are never forgotten. I like the ending to the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


I saw none and I was paying attention. This is really good. I don't know what to make of Dave's turnaround but I think my earlier thoughts may be accurate.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 12, 2010
Last Updated on August 12, 2010


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing