What Took You So Long?

What Took You So Long?

A Story by Samantha

Two children whirl playfully through the lush, peaceful field- their screams of laughter breaking the calm of the atmosphere, filling it with joy. Giggling, the tow-headed boy slows a little, and the girl slaps her hand on the gatepost. “I won, I won!” she shouts joyfully, and twirls around giddily so that her white dress flares up on the sides, finally collapsing in a dizzy heap. The boy flings himself next to her, and together they stare up at the velvet night sky and its diamond pinpoints. Their exhilaration slows, and the girl slides a chubby hand through silken grass, matching the warmth of her palm to the boy’s. She smiles the innocent smile of a child at his chocolate eyes, and whispers two sweet words.

            “Best friend.”

            Far off artillery shook the bunker, calling up clouds of dust from the corners. A robust young man, clad in army fatigues, flipped through a well-worn Bible. His chocolate eyes flashed in annoyance at the dirt, but he ignored it for the most part. All around him, men were tearing open letters from home. They boasted to and congratulated, consoled and sympathized with each other over respective news, but the young man remained apart from the events occurring. He turned the page and replaced the bookmark: a faded picture of a little blonde girl. 

            A teenage girl dashes through the knee high grass, her long flaxen hair glowing in the pale moonlight, shattering the quiet calm. Moments later, a strapping young man sprints after her, easily matching her stride. With a few quick steps, he is upon her, wrapping his strong arms around her waist and whirling her around easily, giggling. Her white skirt floats around her legs and she quickly reaches out, tapping her slender fingers lightly on a rustic gate post. “I won, I won!” she exclaims, with a smile still in her voice. Together, they tumble into the lush grass, landing in an embrace. His soft eyes search her deep navy orbs, lit up by the glowing universe above. Tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear, he sweetly whispers “Yes, you did.” She lays her hand upon his face and slowly touches her rosebud lips to his. Pulling back, she smiles the beatific smile of a smitten woman at his chocolate eyes, and whispers three sweet words.

            “I love you.”    

            The rowdiness of mail call was halted immediately by the barked orders of the commander. Grumbles of discontent sounded all around, but the man’s stony expression did not change. He simply slid the Bible beneath his thin pillow, picked up his gun and paraded with his company to the military-issue Jeep outside, their combat boots drumming a staccato beat upon the dry ground.

            Stillness permeates the night air again, the crumpled husks of cars now lying silent upon the cracked asphalt. A tow-headed young man pulls himself, shaking, from the wreckage. His eyes dart around the site in fear, landing finally on a familiar glint of gold through the smoke. Despite the pain in his leg, he sprints to her side and collapses. A young woman is nestled in the soft green grass, deep red blood staining her pale skin and flaxen hair. The man lays a trembling hand along the delicate skin of her neck, searching for but not finding, a pulse. Tears run down his ashen face, splashing onto her collar as he touches his lips one last time to her rosebuds. His love stares up at his chocolate eyes, unseeing, as an officer claps his hand on his shoulder and grunts four devastating words.

            “I’m sorry. She’s gone.”

            The Jeep crept through the dusty plains washed by the pale moonlight. It was filled with nodding heads- there had been no signs of anything for hours and all were exhausted. Suddenly, a huge sound exploded forth as the vehicle was encased in an intense, fiery light. The young man closed his chocolate eyes against the heat, and faded once and for all into the redness.     

            A brilliant white light floods the still field as a tow-headed young man clad in army fatigues wanders through the tall grass. A silhouette appears suddenly against the glow, slowly revealing a glorious angel in a white dress. A young woman floats towards him, her golden hair as luminescent as ever swirling around her shoulders. She stops at a decrepit gate post, resting her slender fingers on the jagged wood. The man, unbelieving, meets her hand with his and intertwines them. She smiles the soft smile of a newly whole woman at his chocolate eyes, and utters five perfect words.

            “What took you so long?”

© 2012 Samantha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really beautiful peice of work. I love the imagery that you use. The ending is sad, but satisfactory, good work.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on May 8, 2012
Last Updated on May 8, 2012
Tags: romance, childhood, war, death, reunited

Author

Samantha
Samantha

FL



Writing
Torture Torture

A Story by Samantha


Red Red

A Poem by Samantha