Who Am I?

Who Am I?

A Poem by Wall of Words
"

Exactly what determines our identities?

"
Who am I?
What do I represent
In this world of 7 billion people?
Over 7 billion, actually…


What is my purpose? My calling?
Why was I set down here to do?
Who am I?


Here I am, writing a poem
Is that what I’ll be doing forever?
Writing poems? Or stories? Or novels?


Will I be someone else?
A doctor? Lawyer? Teacher?
How do I know which road is meant for me?
Which path do I take when I get to the crossing?


I suppose I can’t ever know
What will be will be, yet…


Yet I still hope that one day
I will accomplish my dreams
And that those accomplishments
Will, alas, define ‘me’

© 2013 Wall of Words


Author's Note

Wall of Words
This is probably my second or third attempt at a poem. I know I'm a bad poet, so please don't worry about telling me outright what you think.
Sylvia.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your question: Who Am I? will always bug you. Not that I'm threatening you with a life unknown.

Here I am, almost living two decades and three years on earth, but still, I'm asking the question. I know who I am. I know my name. I know why I'm given this name. And I know exactly what I'm set out to do.

But this world, like I always say, isn't easy. And no one will tell you how hard exactly this life is.

Over time, I've wondered what I was born for. I can write. I can sing. I can paint. I can draw. I can dance. But I'm not the best in everything I do. All I know is that I'm a slave of art. But who is really my master?

And to think and to know that I'm a slave of art, I end up doing another thing. I am obsessed with doing what I love and that's art. But this obsession is something I can't feed. I'm now a slave of science.

Life is full of dilemma. It will mold you into a different person as time goes by. Who you are now is not who you will be in the future. I was a different person, too.

You see, oh, you'll see . . .

But it's great for you to ask this question while you're still young. Keep on pondering.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Thanks Aubrai!
I suppose you're right: we'll never know exactly who we are, though we might kn.. read more
Aubrai

10 Years Ago

You're welcome!



Reviews

I have been asking the same question in your poem for many years. Is one life important? I believe every life is important. I like the concept of the Native Americans. One people and one planet. We must work together to repair weaknesses. One life can change the view of the world. One person can heal with words, medicine and love. I hope one day we learn. Send food, medicine and water than friendship will be create. Sending gun and soldiers is not the way of peace. You are important. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poem. Made me think this morning.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


"Who am I?" and "Why am I here?" are the two questions that'll probably always bug human beings. A great poem that I think anyone can sympathise with.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Thank you. And yes, I do think that everyone does at least go through this kind of phase once in the.. read more
I loved this. I can totally relate, I ask myself these questions a lot, too.
Gorgeous write, you're quite talented as a poet :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Defining the pivotal point is a choice all your own... I can attest a story about my aunt who went to school to be a doctor... all those years of studying and completion... in the end... she found that the sight of blood was not for her... Does that mean she wasn't meant to be a doctor??? No, by all means she had the degree and passed the exam to practice...

I truly believe one finds a balance with what makes them happy... Even in the event that the monetary is not as much... but the focus to live by is not the bank account... but the road for which makes them be content to the fact... comfort, health and assure there is enough to move on this journey... we call life... experience... trial and error goes hand in had to the development of who you are... and what you want to become... time is short and living your dream is priority...

Posted 10 Years Ago


sylvia , you are not a bad poet...i see a poet in you...as with anything, the more you do it the more comfortable you will become...

we all need to define ourselves...this is more confessional...and straightforward...but asks many questions we all ask ourselves...how will i make my mark...

this reminds me a bit of Oedipus Rex---Who am I?

that was his question...hopefully the speaker in this poem won't have to go through similar tragedy to find out.

and if it is as a writer...will i be remembered...

tough calling, but can be so rewarding to write something that moves others.

Posted 10 Years Ago


As I started reading the piece, I fell love with it.
This is a raw yet very matured thought.
You have defined yourself as a poet through your passion.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Thanks you very much... I'm very flattered you consider me a poet. I would've never defined myself a.. read more
zainul

10 Years Ago

You are a very polite person as you are a promising poet.:)
I hope you will shine by your own .. read more
i loved it. it actually made me think!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)
Your question: Who Am I? will always bug you. Not that I'm threatening you with a life unknown.

Here I am, almost living two decades and three years on earth, but still, I'm asking the question. I know who I am. I know my name. I know why I'm given this name. And I know exactly what I'm set out to do.

But this world, like I always say, isn't easy. And no one will tell you how hard exactly this life is.

Over time, I've wondered what I was born for. I can write. I can sing. I can paint. I can draw. I can dance. But I'm not the best in everything I do. All I know is that I'm a slave of art. But who is really my master?

And to think and to know that I'm a slave of art, I end up doing another thing. I am obsessed with doing what I love and that's art. But this obsession is something I can't feed. I'm now a slave of science.

Life is full of dilemma. It will mold you into a different person as time goes by. Who you are now is not who you will be in the future. I was a different person, too.

You see, oh, you'll see . . .

But it's great for you to ask this question while you're still young. Keep on pondering.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Thanks Aubrai!
I suppose you're right: we'll never know exactly who we are, though we might kn.. read more
Aubrai

10 Years Ago

You're welcome!
I thin you did an awesome job! There are as many styles to writing a poem, as there are people who write them. Your style, is who you are. And yes, I hope you keep writing forever, no matter where life takes you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I certainly plan on it. I also plan on life taking me to med school. XD
Justaguy

10 Years Ago

Not a bad plan at all!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
I think you write from your heart.That I belive is every poets start. To bare one's soul on paper with pen is the true sighn of a poet that bares noting again and again. If I may be so bold to say your writing much like your heart is paved with gold.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wall of Words

10 Years Ago

Awweee. Thanks. XD.
I really enjoy thinking about things. How they work, why they do thing, ho.. read more
ron

10 Years Ago

your most welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

440 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 17, 2013
Last Updated on July 17, 2013
Tags: identity, who, am, i, poem, philisophical

Author

Wall of Words
Wall of Words

My Imagination



About
Hello! My name (you may have noticed) is Wall of Words. I might go by Wall or Words or even WW. I haven't really decided. Maybe I'll stick with Wall of Words. XD I was on here what seems like a very .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Numb Numb

A Poem by RainDancer1997


Pay the Piper Pay the Piper

A Poem by s y e