Chystyll , the beginning

Chystyll , the beginning

A Story by tatenda
"

a boy tormented by his past and town decides to open up but it is never that easy as twists and turns are revealed as well as his enemies who are content to see him down.

"

A Peculiar looking coloured woman skimmed along the road as if on a mission. The clear sunny morning, so warm enough to reveal the natural beauty, seemed of no business to the woman. An elegant respectable woman she seemed but her civil attire seemed otherwise. She was in an all-black blouse and pants complete with a black flat court shoes not forgetting her handbag as well as her long hair. She seemed pale though a little darker or rather suntanned.


She strolled for a while unaware of the house she was seeking even though she was searching the same area. One house might have caught her attention.

The house looked dead besides the chirping of the birds. The lawn was quite neat while the house's model was the same as the other houses. Richmond town house project had the standard three floors, 7 rooms excluding the bathroom as well as a small yard that was enough for a bed or two of vegetables as well as a lawn in the front yard.


The woman stood in front of the house. After a moment of hesitation, she wheeled her to the front door before releasing a polite then rude series of record doorbell ring after no response at all.


Who the hell can't let me have my sleep?” answered a rather rough sleep voice which was half growling and grunting.

Without waiting, for an answer, a rather medium height, and medium built camel coloured Negroid lad opened the door Sleep and weariness were written on his rather long cum short face. He resembled a kid although his beard and moustache sold him out. His black robe was quite big and he had to pull it up revealing his hairy legs and arms.

He was in desperate need of a clean shower and a shave.


Can l help you?” This time he was less tense and actually relieved.


Good morning Mr Piet Ian Triad. I’m Georgia Howards from the Express Mail. She remained calm handling him her business card that was snatched rather than being taken lightly.


Can l help you?” he repeated without even examining her business card or waiting for any response.

I don’t get you guys. Haven’t you done enough damage already? I’m trying to rebuild my life which you helped mess up. The nicest thing you can do for me is to never show up at this place ever again. Thank you and have a great morning.”


The door was slammed in her face leaving her stunned but not shaken.

She recomposed herself before the same way she came.


Unknown to her, Piet was spying her through the window while flipping Georgia’s card. When she was gone, he retired back to bed even though it was only 0830a.m.



************

The Express Mail was a young firm which had been started by Carlos and Tina Express although the former did not live long to see its success. It was founded just within the Richmond town. It had also a radio station, the Express fm. Both were on the same building even though on different levels.

Most of the journalist, reporters and other staff shared one large room while a few personals had their own offices.

Through luck and good timing rather than hard work, both the Express Mail and Express FM became hot property mainly due to Piet Ian Triad.


In one of the office, Georgia paced up and down much to the discomfort of Tina Express who was writing some documents on her table. Georgia kept on mumbling,

He practically threw me out!”


He never let you in the first place,” Tina retorted in a rather calm but irritated voice before continuing, “Listen, I’m busy okay. These stuffs happen a lot. I can give you another case if ...”


She already knew Georgia’s reaction and continued writing.

No! No! This is going to be my big break. Give me time and you won’t be disappointed.” She seemed sincere.

Tina stopped writing and looked at her,

Fine but this time, don’t screw it up like that Patel assignment. Now get out!”

With that, she quickly matched out towards her desk’





*************






















Piet sat on his couch munching and watching soccer. It had become more of a routine besides getting drunk, sleeping, gardening and an occasional cleaning and washing.

The house seemed quite furnished even though a little dusty and old. On the fireplace were a set of pictures that seemed to fade due to lack of care. Why should he care when the world did not care at all? He rose towards the fridge from which he extracted a pint and a smoke on the top of it.


As he huffed out smoke, he tried to recall the real purpose of Georgia’s visit.



It was five years since the supposedly manslaughter of his family. Many fingers pointed at him and even his past behaviour, actions as well as the evidence did so.

He never confessed but was convicted after nearly a year of trial before the case was closed as he was said to be insane. Some referred it as dissociative state that drove him to commit such a horrible crime. Insane was the simple word used but in reality, it was supposed to be the effects of being a junkie.

This stopped him from going to prison although not everyone was quite convinced with this development.

A chance to go to rehab was handed to him although he chose home although there remained a chance of him being put in prison. That was part of the reason why he disappeared shortly.

No one knew where he was as he only pitched a year later this time a drunk and a chain smoker.

It was his family allowance that kept him going.

He never had friends, guests or family enquiring about his health except desperate journalist, justice seeking cops, angry residents as well as tramps.


At first, it killed him inside but later it hardened him

The society was quite cruel. Mothers hid their babies, girls screamed, man growled and boys teased.

At his early twenties, he never dreamt of this kind of life which fate had given him.

He still had Georgia’s number. To him, she seemed just like an ordinary bloodthirsty journalist. The only difference was that this time he wanted to the records straight finally to any journalist.

He had to let his anger out before it kills. He picked the phone and called her

Piet speaking. Tomorrow at nine am. Don’t be late if you still interested.” He was quite calm as he hung up immediately.




**********









Georgia was never late for interviews and she had arrived quite earlier than expected.

He had no idea what the time was although he still knew that he had to be ready.


For first time in a week, he rushed to have a real shower but the annoying doorbell disturbed this process.

Without waiting for anything, he quickly dashed out with only a robe with water dripping from his rather kinky hair.


The doorbell rang for the second time but Piet was already opening it.

Good morning Mr Triad” smiled the woman on the doorstep. Clad in all black, she continued never losing her smile,

I’m sorry for being too early but its better early than later, right?”

She was not expecting a reply nor did she get one. Instead, Piet remained stolid as he invited her instead the house

Georgia’s notion was to inspect the house especially the lounge as if in search of anything in particular.

With water still dripping through his hair and body, he acted quite ignorant of this. He did not seem to care about the trail left by the dripping water.


“Nice house you got here. I’m ....” a serious Piet rudely cut her efforts to start a small talk.

Ms Georgia, are you here for the interview or to admire my house” These were his first real words of the day.


He quickly pointed to the couch before signalling her to start.

She quickly took out her notebook as well as her cell phone before tempering with it while mumbling a couple of journalistic procedures she had to take. Although he nodded although he never showed to understand a thing, she said.


Although she did not want to start with a provocative question, his arrogance tempted her.


How does it feel like living in this house in which your parents were killed?”

The question came out by mistake but Piet just shrugged.

To avoid this irritating shrug, she began with questions unrelated to the case. He somehow opened up although it was hard to tell whether he was lying or not.

All was going “well” before she asked him why he did it.


Listen here Georgia, the real question which you are supposed to ask is “’ did you do it?”’. “


Alright, did you?”


Does it matter? You already sure that l did it even without asking me. You know what; I didn’t kill them. Happy?”

But you were found guilty and you even said you were insane or what they term it as dissociative disorder something like that, at that time,” she was not sure of a response.

I never recall saying that. Did I ever say that?”

Georgia had not expected this and this made her quite numb. Piet rescued her.

Listen here, I was insane, high, drunk whatever you prefer but I didn’t kill them.”

What about the evidence which pointed at you? How do you explain it?” Georgia was now starting to enjoy her work.

Piet paused for a moment before uttering “haven’t you seen innocent people going to prison just because of some lousy evidence” he was now getting a little bit frustrated.

Evidence never lies ...”


Listen up Ms Georgia; the evidence was really bullshit. Anyone could have planted them.”


You’re saying that you were framed …” this had caught her attention.

You’re the one saying it not me,” he had left his mark, as Georgia was eager for more.

I don’t know whether it was a setup or not but I never killed them period! I’m kinda sick of everyone especially you guys stuffing me up like a convict. Why on earth would I do that? “


For the money?”


He rose from the couch and emerged with two ciders on one hand and a cigarette on the other. Georgia declined his offer.

He settled down, huffed a few times releasing a thick mass of smoke at each interval.

At first, Georgia did not seem to mind but later started whisking it out of her face well as releasing endured coughs.

Piet noticed it and stubbed his cigarette into the ashtray.

Georgia you surprise me. You are quick to accuse me of killing them for the money but you can’t tell me you aren’t cool with me smoking. You then call yourself a journalist.”

She forced a smile before continuing with the interview.

The rest went quite well with Piet avoiding and not answering most of the questions related to the case except proclaiming his innocence.




***************














Richmond was a small town which was growing rapidly mainly due to the gold mine which was nearby. It was quieter than expected and had little records of real crime, which include the likes of murder, kidnapping and even fraud. The crimes were the petty ones.

This was why their own son Piet brought the town to a standstill with the slaughter of the Triad family supposedly.

Although this case boosted the survival of the Express Mail, it undermined the judiciary system especially when it dropped the case due to insanity.


The morning paper’s headline screamed


Killer let it all out”


In a small building in the heart of Richmond, a slightly stout man in a small office shook his baldhead as he read the story. He rose to reveal his beer infested belly pouch covered by his pink shirt complete with a black tie. His black pants did not even seem to be a perfect fit.

He paced around the room as if in a deep thought before glancing back to the newspaper.

As if he had found a solution, he picked up his jacket before heading out.



********


What the hell were thinking?” the same bald man threw the newspaper in front of Piet who was stuck on the couch. He picked it up and quickly scanned it before putting it down.

Matt Martin did not seem impressed by Piet’s silence.

He banged on the coffee table fuming,


What did you think you achieve by this, huh? Personal satisfaction?”


Piet remained silent as if deaf and not concerned.


You are going to play this silent game? I’m cool with it”


Matt rose before saying,


You know, the DA are not happy with it and now your insanity is now under question ...”


I’m not insane,” shouted Piet.


Continue like this and you going to spent a century behind bars,”

Matt Martin was the one who defended Piet during the long trial. No one was prepared

to defend him. as he was the family lawyer, he had no choice but to defend him


I would rather spend time behind bars rather than to be defended by a lawyer who thinks I’m guilty,” Piet remained on the couch. Piet never trusted Matt especially when he failed to wait his case. However, he had no choice but to abide him.


Matt had been under a lot of pressure. His client had been found guilty but survived jail time as he was under the influence of crack. He went to rehab instead although he never really spent any time in it. Instead, he vanished.

This did not go well with the prosecutor along with the relatives of Triad who felt cheated. They tried at all cost but to no vain, to have his insanity rule revoked so that he is send to jail.


Five years had passed and all seemed to have been forgotten till Piet‘s exclusive interview. The DA under pressure from the town which seemed to want to rid of its unclean people, finally cracked.

Piet seemed unaffected while Matt was a mess. Sometimes Matt wanted to quit but the thought of leaving a case incompletely restricted him.


Can you please calm down before you have a relapse,” said Piet who was quite serene as ever.


You want me to calm down? You realize that you are heading to prison unless a miracle happens?” Now Matt was a mess.

Piet stood up before saying,


You realize that I’m going to prison? What kind of a question is that, even a kid knows that. Gosh what’s wrong with you?” He paused as if taking a breather before continuing

During the night of the murder, people were focused about the evidence, fingerprint and staff. They never thought of asking me where the hell I was during that time or how I really was.”


Matt gave him a rather rude and confused stare and he got his answer.


I was at Josh’s really stoned and out and not at home as everyone believes.”

Surprise was written on Matt’s face,


Why didn’t you bloody tell me back then?”


I would have if I really had an idea what had happened. I woke up with murder claims from entirely everyone. They even actually made me believe I was there. If it was not for Josh who told me a couple of weeks ago, I would ...”


Matt did not seem impressed and convinced at all.

Like you would have, why would he tell you after five years?”


No! He told me like two weeks and called me because he is still pissed that the case is still hanging like that.”


Matt was still confused, “why now?”

Don’t know and that is your job to find out why. Thought you should know so that maybe you will believe me this time coz it’s really frustrating when your bloody lawyer doesn’t believe a s**t you saying”

Piet reached for his back pocket and produced a small piece of paper to Matt.

This is where he lives at if you don’t trust me.”


Matt grabbed it before heading out.



*********









































Finding 1511 Newman Flat was not that difficult although the real problem lied in finding Joshua Dale. What really puzzled Matt was why Piet never told him about Joshua or why Joshua kept it as secret? Something was definitely fishy.

Matt knew Richmond quite well as he was a real product of this town.


The Newman Flat was an old building probably one of the earliest high-rise building. Due to the lack of maintenance, the walls were quite cracked on the outside while graffiti seemed to embroil the walls. The stairs were quite deadly, as they seemed to vibrate with every step.

Despite it being old and rusty, the tenants were quite law-abiding citizens. Expect graffiti and some petty crime, it was a safe place.

Matt quickly dashed up the stairs while looking for floor 3 which Josh resided in.

Although he took less a second to knock, it took him more than two minutes before he heard the unlocking of door locks. The door was opened to reveal a rather dark face with a mope of a hair.


Listen man,” the face fumed. “I told you I’m going to pay you next week so go and tell ... “

He stopped after realizing something quite formal about the guy before inviting him inside.

Without waiting any time, Matt introduced himself although the man did not say anything.

When he enquired about Josh, the man showed a little bit of interest even though without saying anything. When Matt mentioned Piet that was when he realized a nerve breaking call.


Josh, some law dude wants see you about your pal Piet.”


He quickly left leaving Matt to admire the room, which in which he was in. Save for the makeshift sofa and a table, it was empty.


Can I help you?” a soft voice broke his tour to reveal a medium built light lad with a baldhead. He was surprisingly soft and remarkably clean and smart unlike the room which he was in. he was really mannered too as he led Matt to the sofa.


Matt introduced himself before telling him what Piet had told him.


Can l ask why you came out of the blue and say that after five years?”


Five years?” this time Josh was now confused. “Kind of told him a long time ago about a year or two ago. That guy hasn’t changed at all.”

But …”

Matt’s silence said it all.


Wouldn’t worry about this as he has got trust issues and I can tell that he doesn’t trust you either”

He rose and disappeared into another room before emerging with orange juice.

He offered him stating that he does not drink. Matt declined nevertheless.

Anyway Piet and I were not really on good terms but I was not going to let me rot in prison. It turned out that he didn’t need my help.”

What really happened between the two of you?”

Lots of things happened but I really know that he never killed them and some of the s**t they said were really bull!” he threw himself onto the sofa.


Like what?” Matt followed him somehow aroused although he still thought it was a waste of time.


Firstly Piet used to hang out most of the times at around 8pm either here or at the mail. He’s many things but murder doesn’t fit in these ‘lot of things’.”


The press said that he got sick after eating his tuna which was laced with mild toxic while the others took the ones which were laced with poison.”


So?” Matt was still not impressed.


Well last time I checked, he was really allergic to fish, really allergic to them. He always has this rash and scary s**t on his skin and not forgetting the blackouts. Therefore, he was supposed to be dead or half-dead. You want to know what the bloody paper said he had minor stomach bug coz he ate the one which was less toxic.”


What’s your point?” Matt was not convinced at all.

Tina can kill or even stun him for several days not that you believe me. Besides Piet never wanted them to see him stoned although they knew it. That was one of the reasons he would crush here.

When he usually got really high, he would just a blackout and crush wherever not getting all violent.”


Matt could not believe what Josh had said. To him, it seemed more of a cover up. When he asked whether Piet was popular, he got a predictable answer.


Piet being popular? Seriously!? What do you think?”

For the first time, Matt was in full agreement with him. Josh went on.


Piet is rather secretive about certain issues for instance he wasn’t born a Triad but rather a Blarke before he got adopted when he was thirteen.”


Am I supposed to believe you?” Matt was now sure that he was being duped. In response, Josh unearthed a rather sarcastic smile while aware of the upper hand that he had.


He didn’t tell you!? Why am I not surprised that he doesn’t trust you either? Listen that guy knows loads of staff which could have closed the case long ago. The real question would be why he wanted this circus to go on?” Josh rose from the couch as if he was about to escort Matt out.


Matt noticed this development and slowly wheeled himself to the door. He was neither shocked nor amazed although embarrassed as a thousand questions raced into his mind.

He stopped right at the door and suddenly asked as if to cover his embarrassment,


Does he still do drugs and stuff and also since you are his buddy, you can tell me why you think so?”


As for the drugs, I don’t really know. Haven’t seen him in five years even though I talk to him every now and then. You are his bloody lawyer; you should know this entire staff.”

With that, the door was neatly shut in his face.
















































What the hell is wrong with you?” Matt’s face was slowly transfiguring into a rather scary one.

How the bloody hell am I supposed to help you when you don’t want to”


Piet was quite motionless on the couch seemingly unaffected at all by fuming Matt. He slowly turned towards the clock that had pronounced that it was seven o’clock pm. Although he had all the answers to Matt’s questions, he was not in the mood.


Why all this interest after five years?” That was his response.

I am bloody lawyer whose bloody job is to keep goons like you from going to prison. As it stands right now, that is where you are heading to unless s you man!!”


With that, he took his jacket and stormed out.











***********

























On rare times, Piet would go outside for a little jog just in his neighbourhood.

In order to avoid all of the staring and whispering, he would either go really early in the morning or choose routes rarely taken because of superstitious reasons.


However this time, it was different as he chose the Aimar that people normally use. Since it was a Wednesday, very few people would use it. At first, he was running then jogging before walking. After a few minutes, he was sitting on a bench with his face under his hood. That was his exercise routine on these extremely rare occasion not that he ever worked a lot. To him, the only real way of detoxing was through the usual conversional method of ale and a smoke that had only been approved by him alone.

It must have been five minutes or so before he heard people passing by. As serious and drunkenly as he could, he remained quite still so as resemble a washed up tramp which did not really care about the town.


Hey man, have you heard about the s**t that happened in Newman?” said a rather smooth voice.


Yeah, some bloke got snuffed last night. The tenants are quite infuriated and quite scared actually. What's the guy's name ... ahhh?” a hoarse one seemed to have followed the smooth one.


Joshua Dale. How can I forget that b*****d who used my sis before tossing her away like some cheap garbage? He got what came to him. Good thing, he was found in a bloodbath.”

This was a totally different voice altogether.


The first one chipped in, “come on man, he wasn't that bad though he looked more of a thug. Anyway, he was burnt to ashes ... “


Suddenly from no way, how he was killed became a heavily heated debate.

As for Piet, he had heard enough which prompted him to head home.


It was barely eight o'clock and Matt was already at his doorstep with a newspaper cloned to his hand. No one said anything to each other and Matt didn't even wait to be invited inside after Piet had unlocked the door.

Don’t you have any work to do or any b***h that needs some satisfaction rather than show up this early,” it was quite rude and Piet didn't seem to care or Matt who had got quite used to it. At least, the ice was broken without chatting about the weather, which the two had no interest of although there was no real greeting. Piet threw himself onto the couch.


Yesterday in the evening ... “Matt had gone straight into business although he was not allowed to finish his sentence.


... Josh got killed?” Piet wasted no time astonishing Matt. Piet continued, “Kinda heard it outside.” This seemed to serve a real purpose of avoiding any lecture from the great one as well as his suspicion.

Doesn’t it bother you that he was killed soon after making contact with you,” Matt already knew the answer.


Haven’t seen him in five years and God knows what he was up to. Besides it was about time too.” Piet quickly rose and headed upstairs leaving Matt to wander what he really meant. Something was not right. What was the real purpose of such words to his (only??) friend not that he was one?

He hovered up and down the living room before sinking into Piet's couch and that was when he saw it.


At first, it did not seem quite clear but the tracks later became visible. They seemed like someone tried to wipe them without water leaving a smudge like stain. Maybe he or she must have overlooked but the only person living in the house was only Piet.


Matt rose and followed them not really sure of the expectations. They led him to the basement. Still quite fizzy about his whole expedition, he eventually opened the basement door merely out of curiosity.

It was dark and dusty. The light was working and the tracks were now more pronounced. Years of being in the police force and later a part time private investigator suddenly came into play on this occasion. It did not take long to notice the odd shape of the tracks. Thousand notions raced into his mind as he scanned the basement.


It seemed like an ordinary one, which was full of junk stuff, boxes, and washing machines that was gathering dust. As he continued with his scanning trip, he picked up a blue material that was peeping from the washing machine. When he pulled it out, it turned out to be a blue raincoat and at the same time, a white shirt with dark reddish patches on it as well as muddy shoes was revealed. Oddly enough, the mud was still fresh and the imprints were the same as those of the tracks.

All of this however meant nothing although something was still amiss to him. While he was still battling with this notion, that was when he saw the Buddy statue.

The shape, size as well as its golden colour seemed familiar. That was when he realized that it was the same as the one he saw in Josh's apartment.

He continued to look at it as if to tarnish the crazy idea in his mind.

What was it doing here? What is up with the dobby raincoat, bloody shirt and the shoes?


So transfixed with his delusion, he never picked up Piet descend down the stairs into the basement. He was startled by Piet’s inquiry as to what he was seeking.


What’s going on?” Piet’s silence said a thousand words but this time it meant a thousand ways of being confused.


Matt continued not waiting for any of Piet’s rude remarks.

Where were you last night? Don’t bloody lie to me?”


Here, mostly. Why?” His calmness terrified Matt quite bad.


Can you explain to me about this wet raincoat, bloody shirt, muddy shoes and this?” he pointed to the Buddha doll.” kinda happens to be the one I saw at Josh’s place.”


Piet remained stolid except a little flip of his eyebrow. That was the first time ever since Matt saw this and was not even sure of its meaning.


Fine,” this was rather superimposed before Piet continued.

Went out yesterday night to fix my gate which was quite noisy and I thought I heard someone. While at the gate, I cut myself and used my shirt to wipe it off. Satisfied?”

He pulled his long sleeve to reveal a rather long cut which really needed some medical attention before continuing,

I had no idea Josh still had his doll. Thought he had lost it. Any questions Mr Detective?”

He turned and went back upstairs.


Although what the boy was saying seemed quite solid, Matt was never convinced. He was supposed to defend him rather than attack him but something was not right.

He followed him and found him already having a jolly time without the music or dance, just the plainly getting drunk and smoky. He snatched the cigarette from his mouth before throwing it out through the window.


These things going to kill you,” Matt defended his actions.


Going to kill me? This s**t kept me sane all this time when the world was about to trash me down.”

Matt knew where it was heading and armed himself.

Hey I was a little curious doing my job. Anyway you proved me wrong.”

I hope so,” this was Piet’s half-hearted response.


Matt quickly took his leave and headed outside. He never liked Piet but the work was forcing him. His rudeness, secrecy and above all his arrogance annoyed him. All he could think of was what Piet had said. All he could think of was what Piet said.


about time…


Why did he say this and what about the coat and everything?

















Piet was never an indoor man prior to this whole fiasco.

It was only due to this case, his tarnished image, as well as the attitude of the people that forced him to go once in a while.


Sometimes he would go to the stores and buy himself grocery for the whole month. Sometimes he would go to the bar and drown himself thus providing himself with free publicity in the leisure section of the Express Mail. Working was a nightmare especially when you are blacklisted. Besides, he had enough money from the inheritance to get himself worked over work.


This time, it was different as he was now out of food stock stocks. He had pissed off Matt who finally learnt to say the “no” word. The nearby shop was closed and he had no option except going to the town Centre. This was one thing he dreaded the most.

The last time he went there, he left quite a legacy and this time he was not sure of what to expect.


Initially no one seemed to recognize him. Piet lived in the outskirts of the town and he had to board a bus in order to get into the town centre. When he left Sunlay area, everyone seemed to ignore him but later on, he picked up stares from the passengers as well as whispers. At first, they were hard to notice but later they became more pronounced.

Isn’t it the Triad killer?”

What is he doing here?”

Can't the driver just throw him out?”

Got 3 dogs back home dying for his blood?”


Although this irritated him, he seemed to have got used to it as he had to face them for the last five years. Even when he reached the centre, the whispers and the stares continued as if he was a zombie or an alien. He did not despair as the Express had brainwashed them.


Although he continued to plead his innocence, some of the shops had already “banished “just in case he does it again as well as being associated with good people not those like Piet. There was one that did not seem to mind at all except this time.

Listen here Piet,” said Mr Khans Decoil who was of an Indian descent before continuing,

I am under a lot of pressure from people threatening to boycott my store if you continue coming here. I am sorry.” Khans tried to as sincere as possible.

Piet did not say anything but continued throwing grocery into his trolley. He simply ignored him and this irked Khans quite bad.


Didn't you hear me,” fumed Khans. “You are banned from this store.”

Piet gazed at him for a while before saying,

Fine. Be like them and condemn me. Paste me as a criminal, I don't care but at least have a heart and let me buy some food.”

Khans just shook his head and kept apologizing not that it had any effect on Piet.

The real fight came when he was about to pay. Khans refused take the money, which prompted Piet to threaten to walk out with them.

Piet was having fun with this fiasco, which only ended when the grocery disappeared.



Piet strolled out of the store towards the town park.

Despite its size, more than a quarter of the centre was engulfed in parks and lawns. The forefathers of the town were interested in the beautification of the town's landscape and its moral than anything else. Later on when the emphasis shifted to retail and industrial development, the parks and lawns remained intact and clean.

The nearest park was just a couple of meters from the store in a northern direction and it did not take long for Piet to resign himself onto the lawn.


I believe you owe me. About time too.” came a rather familiar voice.

He must have dozed off for a couple of minutes as the strong afternoon sunbeam must have blinded along with the drowsiness. Nevertheless, it took him less than a second to notice the plastic and paper bags surrounding him.

I said you owe me! Damn you! Wake up or at least pretend to,” repeated the same voice.

This time, the voice was quite clear and he did not even need to see who it was.


I never asked anything from you! What do you want, another interview?”


No!” Georgia seemed shocked and offended.

Hey I’m human and don't work every time. Besides thought, you might need help with Khans and all. I’m not a monster you know.” this time she was mimicking Piet much to his amusement although he never showed it.

When he reached for his wallet, she yelled,

I never said you’d pay me.”


This seemed to have edged Piet who was still glued down. He was quite good when it came to hiding his feelings but Georgia was the opposite.


Hey one day you might do me a favour,” sneered Georgia.


I rather go to hell,” retorted Piet. “Can’t you just take the money and leave alone.”

Subsequently Georgia did the opposite and proceed the open his grocery and snubbing all of it.

Candy!? Seriously candy!? Look at this? Man, are that broke and where's the real stuff like soap , deodorant, and even shaving cream 'coz you smell like s**t ...”

She went on and on enjoying herself unaware that Piet was slowly dozing off.

However, she caught his attention when she started talking about his grandma.


Say one thing about her and I will kill you. This time I would go to prison for something which I would have committed.”

With this, he stood and stormed off before disappearing.


Piet did not leave Georgia because of the granny stuff but he was a reserved guy who actually preferred to be alone. However finding her right in front of his doorstep was the last thing he wanted. She still had the grocery and for the first time, was not in a black outfit. She had a casual touch that made her resemble a high school girl than a journalist.

You know my car is way faster than the bus you took. Could have save money and your time.”


Piet ignored her and proceeded to open the door. She lashed in without being invited while carrying his grocery.

Listen if the granny stuff pissed off then you're quite peevish,” sneered Georgia even though it failed its purpose. Beckoning her, he went to the kitchen where he proceeded to take a beer out of the fridge. While being ignorant to Georgia's lousy remarks of his house, he offered her a drink, which she declined, as she was a teetotaller.


Listen Piet, if you are uncomfortable with my presence here, you are free to say so. I am not a monster,” this time Georgia seemed quite sincere.


I would have offered you some cooked food in the fridge but I don't really think they are still palatable,” ignorant of Georgia's enquiry, he pulled out a transparent large lunch box and proceeded to sniff it before opening it right under Georgia.

She immediately looked away to shield away from the stench.


Something for your story,” he forced a smile before continuing.

Cooked it about 3 days ago but didn't eat it unless you're cool with bread or whatever is there in the food closet if there is anything at all.”


He dumped the contents into the kitchen bin before dumping the lunch box into the sink, which was already swelling with plates, spoons and other utensils, which seemed quite old from being in the sink.

He proceeded to the lounge leaving Georgia quite speechless with the state of the kitchen.


After what seemed like an hour or so, she appeared with pizza and some drink while complaining,

When was the last time you bloody cleaned your kitchen, it’s a war zone in there. It’s going to cost you a lot. Cleaning your kitchen was the worst decision I have made and I know I'm going to regret it.”

I never asked you. Next time don't do anything you aren’t told to if it really bothers that much,” He was still glued to the match which was going on and he never noticed the food till she offered it to him.


Thought you might be a little grateful that I did something which you were never going to do in a million years. Anyway here some food unless you are not hungry,” she laid down the pizza and a drink on the coffee table. That was when he suddenly asked.

I bought that!?”

I bought it actually for myself but seeing that you have no real food in your house I was forced to share it with you of all people.”

She pretended to be mad while she offered him drink even though his fourth pint of beer was still half-empty on the table.


A thousand notions were being created in Piet's mind. The only thing that kept appearing in his mind was Georgia suddenly bursting and massacring him about the case and even about Josh. It never appeared but instead she was more interested in talking about her family, career, likes and pissing him off not that she was good at it. Piet pretended not to care at all but deep inside he was really fine with the idea of having to listen to someone who was not mentioning the case at all.


Anyway what happened to your granny?” she remained glued at him.


Took a short trip to heaven.” this was the quickest real answer she had heard before from him.

He continued,

Promised her that I would be a better person. I kinda killed her! She’d a weak heart which couldn't handle the tremor, the bad publicity and even how messed up I was. At least she was the only who really knew I was innocent and I bloody killed her.”


An eerie silence enveloped the lounge save for the mumbling of the television. He went on again,

She didn't die for nothing and one day the whole truth will come out and she will be at ease in heaven.”

Georgia somehow seemed touched although she believed that he was lying to her. He went on nevertheless,

If this hostility continues, I might be forced to change my name and move to another place far away from this dump of a town.”

Hey don't worry. If you're innocent, the truth will eventually set you free.” she tried to act all concerned but she was not able to fool Piet.

I really wish you stop pretending like you believe me. I won't be surprised to see this entire s**t in the paper tomorrow.”

She just gave him an eerie gaze before noticing that Piet was quite drunk.

Even though she tried to reassure him of her innocent act, she was far from sure about neither her real intentions nor what she was really going to achieve from this charade.


************



















Matt banged at his keypads in disbelief. He had spent the whole day trying to inquiry about the case, facing the District Attorney who was determined to reopen the case that had been closed and also inquiring about Josh’s death.


What really irked him off was that the DA was quite determined to see Piet in jail even if the previous verdict was guilty. They wanted to have his insanity clause to be uplifted so that he can be sent to jail.

Piet's silence was not helping either. He seemed to know more than what he was letting in. If only he knew how to open Piet up. The coat, shoes, bloody shirt and the statue also added to added to his worries. It was only a matter of time before someone catches up.

The police were numb about the real details of Josh's death except that he was burnt to death after being stabbed to death. The real question was by whom and was Piet involved?

No one seemed to hear him and the questions went floating into the air.


When he tried to look up for any records of Piet, there was none whatsoever. That was when he remembered about Josh's word of him being a Blarke not a Triad.

When he inquired about Blarke, there were a lot of them but not Piet Ian. Now he was stuck. It didn't need a scientist to tell him that Piet was hiding something from him. The only way was to check all orphanages and hope someone recognizes him or check the recorded adoption ten years ago.

The real advantage he had was that he had some contacts and friends who were willing to serve him back after being saved by him. All he had to do was to send inquiries to them.


While on one end, Piet was being subjected to Georgia's strange behaviour, Matt was getting no way. At around 5 pm when he was about to give up, a rather short call gave him a little hope.


Hey Matt, I checked out all the adoptions which occurred ten years ago but there is no Blarke or Triad.”

So you called me to … “Matt was enraged although not for long.

Anyway there was a young boy who was adopted at the Leewood Shelter. He was roughly thirteen, small and camel light-black.”

What’s your point? Anyone can be thirteen, small and black.”


Yeah, shut up for once and listen! No one knew this boy and people ended up calling him Blarke. One thing that was quite strange about him was that he was really a messed kid who was constantly refusing to go to rehab. Maybe you can go and check it out. Could be your kid you seeking?”

The line went dead.


He had to go there and check it for himself but he was never sure of what he was expecting in the end.





He was out as early as possible heading out in a north-western direction from the Richmond town. It was an hour’s drive.



Leewood shelter was in a rather remote area with a couple of buildings almost clustered together in the middle of a ranch. It took care of orphans, street kids, runaways and other kids in need of help.

Matt knew where Leewood was as he had been there a couple of times when he was still at his prime. He was never the best in the business but the shelter was kind of stuck with him. His first initial case was with the Leewood Shelter, which was a total disaster from the start.


The shelter lost their land from a fraudster who was content in milking them dry. They had to relocate into the outskirts of the town. The only thing that he managed to do was the acquisition of a suitable piece of land where they were currently at the moment.


He was never the success of the town and had a series of failures than success even as Leewood’s lawyer. The administration was never content with him being their lawyer but somewhere somehow they remained with them. Some of the hired ones were either real frauds or money hungry scavengers. Matt was the only cheap one left who was really desperate for a living.


To Matt, everything was still the same to him; the staff still recognized him and gave him a rather mixed reception.


After ages of casual chat with the other staff, he was ushered into the officer of the manager, Ms Joslyn Crufurd. In there, another chat about the weather and Richmond followed before she broke the ice.


I know you are a busy man and this no social call. So what’s up?”


Okay, ten years ago, a kid used to be here. A black kid who used to have drug problems of some sort … “

You mean Blarke?” Crufurd surprised Matt who could only nod.

How’s he anyway? Isn’t he in trouble of some sort again?” She pretended to be scribbling something.


Yeah,” there was the dragging of the voce as well as a surprise. He continued nevertheless,

Why did you say that?”


Well he came from no way and was always implicated in almost every trouble that occurred in the Shelter even when he was not around. He was really secretive and quiet. To this day, I bet no one knows his real name, not even you.”


You haven’t answered my questions.” In reality, Matt was quite pissed that she was right.


You don’t know, do you?” she was now having fun. She continued nevertheless,

Nevertheless there are three types of people, the bad ones, good ones and those who are in between to some extent that you never sure where exactly where they are. Ian was in that category … “


Ian!?” Matt was now surprised.

Yes, Ian Blarke. Anyway, as I was saying he was quite mysterious. He was ok till his brother was killed. Some said he was the killer. That was when he broke and became more mysterious than ever. The only good was that he managed to get himself a nice chick … “


Matt was really shocked. Why had he not told him he had a brother? As normal as he could without showing his surprise.


Do you have a picture of Ian just in case if he is the one I’m seeking and also of his brother?”


Crufurd picked up the phone and seemed to be chatting in a language unknown to Matt before saying,

Just a moment, my secretary will come with the file. Anyway, the only person he seemed to jell with was a young girl now in her early twenties. Maybe if you go to her, she might be able to help you.”


It was something to work with.


It was strange how he didn't want to apart from her.” she stared through the window.


Like an obsession?” Matt seemed to be getting somewhere.


Something like that. He got adopted a record 20 times in two years. At first we thought that it was the drugs as he kept pretending like he was clean to no vain but later on turned out to be her. The funny part was that when she got adopted, he also got adopted for good this time. I bet you a hundred bucks he knows where she lives at this moment …”



This conversation was interrupted by a rather clumsy secretary who kept dropping the files before finally putting them on the desk.

She excused herself. Immediately Crufurd started to open the file before handing one to Matt.


It was Piet’s face but with his second name Ian Blarke. There was nothing unusual about his details.

She handed over the girl's file that had the name Lilly Greene. It turned out that she was now 20 years old. Crufurd finally handed over the last one of whom she said was Ian's dead brother


At first, he did not notice anything but the more he looked at the picture, the clearer everything became. He had no idea of how to make of it. The name was Dalem Blarke but the person on the picture was quite familiar.

So intrigued by his discovery, he failed to pick up Crufurd’s gaze. She actually startled him.

So what trouble is he in?” she tapped his shoulders.


Something that can keep him in prison for infinity or straight to the guillotine.”

His fix was still on the file.


Well as long as it's not a massacre, there isn’t a problem.”

Do you think Piet, sorry I mean Ian is capable of murder or any other grand crime?” this seemed a routine question.

To be frank with you, “she paused as if to reconsider her thoughts before continuing,

Yes. I don't want to appear rude or anything but he looked like a dark evil figure.”


Crufurd wrote down an address of where Lilly lived only after making him promise not to reveal its source.


Although he agreed to this, his mind was elsewhere. He only left when it was midday after inspecting Piet's former room but there was nothing out of the ordinary.

As he drove out of the Leewood Shelter compound, a car that sped past him was the one that ignited his recent discovery.


The one who was in the picture was none other than the murdered fellow, Josh.
































The Richmond had high class residents just like where Piet lived which was in the outskirts of the town.


However on the southern part of the town was the rather low class residential area that was branded the poor zone. It was actually an area, which had rather old houses with low rents not the common view of the residents being poor. Most of them were hardly “poor”


Bloody stereotypic.


It had been even given the Poorlane before it was changed to Polane to make presentable. Although it had most of the people in Richmond, it was rather “clean”.


A grey Sedan car patrolled the area with the driver almost clueless as to where he was going. Matt stopped the car and looked at the address once again 3011 Tex .Polane. He was in Tex but the number 3011 seemed non-existent. It was only after asking some kids who were playing outside when he realized that it was in front of him.

It was a flat similar to the Newman Flat but a little dull, ugly and big.


It took him forever to get to the tenth floor as the elevator was down and he had to use the stairs.

By the time, he reached the tenth floor, the effects of no exercise and a belly impregnated by beer and his stout figure began to show.

Two hippie looking black lads passed him while passing these remarks.

Good thing the lift's dead. B.I.G here finally working it out! By the time, he tones the lousy pouch of his, I would be in heaven.”

Scornful laughs followed suit.


Somehow, instead of greatly depressing him, it acted a fuel to find Lilly quickly before he gets most comments. It did not take him a second before finding the apartment neither did it took him a second after knocking to get a reply.


It however took ages of explaining to the person on the other side that he was a private investigator who wanted to ask her a few question not a stalker or a murderer.

The door was finally opened to reveal a rather young slim fairly pale young lady. She seemed pretty with all her long hair that had been dyed brown.


So who exactly are you looking for?” asked the girl quite ignorant of Matt's initial introductions.

Although ten year had passed, it did not take long to realize that it was Lilly and the girl never denied it.

Doubtingly she let him in to reveal a rather cosy sitting room with a kitchen in it.


So how can I help you?” she inquired again.

He then went through the process of introducing himself again although it was starting to irritate him. This time, he produced his card.

I’m defending a client of mine who seemed to know quite well. Maybe you can help him.”


Okay. Does he have a name?” she seemed just like Piet although she seemed like a nice girl.

Piet Triad”

That murderer!!” she seemed visibly disgusted. She continued,

What does that have to me? I don't even know him and don't even want to know him.”

She stood as if to show him out but somehow stopped on her tracks.


He used to be called Ian Blarke”


Suddenly she froze and went cold as if she had heard a ghost. She was confused for a while before bursting into a series of anger-filled yells.

That b*****d was in here all the time!!?”

She was not expecting an answer nor did she need it.

This also came as a shock to him. At this rate, Lilly would be able to prosecute him.


Thought you too were close friends?” this came from nowhere.


Close friends?” she shivered quite disgusted by that notion. She quickly sat right beside Matt.

Do you even know who you are defending and what he is capable of doing?”


Matt remained still unable to answer her question. She went on this time quite shaking,

I was scared of him. I had no choice because he would have … I, I tried to tell Ms Crufurd, but she wouldn't believe. No one believed me... Every time I sleep the image of him … “she stopped and this time she was almost crying.


What did he do exactly that terrified you the most?”


I hope he rots in jail!” she ignored his question leaving Matt stunned. Was this Piet's close friend or some other person or he was at the wrong house. She continued nevertheless.

I once witnessed him doing it and I don't know how he managed to worm out of it. This time however justice will catch with him.”


Justice will catch with him?” Matt mumbled her words before bursting almost immediately,

You telling me that you saw him killing someone in the shelter?”


She nodded leaving unconvinced Matt to ask her why she never made Crufurd believe.

Do you even know this guy very well? He is really good at making you feel squashed and make you look like a fool. I tried but he kept stalking me all the times. I was afraid of him.”

She was now a wreck and that was the last thing he wanted so he quickly changed the topic.


Nice locket you got there.”

There was nothing nice or magnificent about it and it worked anyway.

She was serene before taking a look at the locket on her necklace. She was puzzled about it but somehow decided to go with the flow.

There is nothing grand about it maybe its contents.” She removed it from her neck and opened it reveal an old picture of a family with four kids.

That’s my family or so what they say. I Hardly remember meeting nor knowing any one of them .”

Would you like to meet them some day?”


I don't know,” she took a deep breath.

I really wanted to meet them but then realized maybe it's for the best. To be frank with you, I don't want to find them. I'm okay as I'm now.”


This time she was now more sober and Matt returned for the kill by asking her whom Piet really killed.

Listen here. I'm aware that he's your client and all but after the way he killed his own brother, I aren’t surprised about any charges he may be facing. I hope he goes to prison instead of another insanity stunt.”


Matt's shock level was now above the normal level slightly edging towards the confusion stage.

You sure?”

Not you too! Come on, I witnessed it and I remember it like its yesterday. I even know who his brother was. Dalem.


************

































TRIAD KILLER MAY BE LINKED WITH DALE'S MURDER”

The headline screamed right in front of him as Matt slammed the paper on the table.


What’s wrong with you!?” Matt was about to explode.

Piet was now almost immune to Matt's paranoia and he continued smoking.


What the hell is wrong with you? Giving out exclusive interviews like that?”

He flipped open the paper to reveal another headline,

A day with P.I. Triad”


At last, Piet broke his duck,

Don't you have anything to do like finding those who offer morning glory instead of showing up here early this morning? Look like you need one before you broke … “

Matt was really pissed.

If you were a good lad like everyone else, I wouldn't be dealing with your pain right now. You think I like it, huh? Having to deal with you wasn't part of this crazy deal. You know what the press said about you.”

He straightens out the press as if to read it.


Lousy cook, they are right about that one and even about you being a chain-smoker as well as a drunk. They also said you gave out a hate speech about the DA.”

Piet suddenly snapped much to the astonishment of Matt.


I never said that but I’m really sure who wrote that?”


Matt somehow loosened up,

Thank God the headline is a bluff. In the future never ever, hang around reporters. Tell me what you were thinking with the DA s**t and worse of all, hanging around Georgia Howards … “


This seemed like the last straw.

Matt was rather amused when Piet suddenly went upstairs and emerged in casual look heading outside. When he inquired where he was off to, he got no answer but he was pretty sure though.

When the door was slammed, that was he realized that it was his car being started as his car keys had disappeared.



************


What is the meaning of all this!?” Piet slammed right into Tina's office startling both Tina and Georgia who threw her papers in panic.


The response was almost immediate from Tina who had quickly recuperated.

She was doing her job which she is paid to do.”


She had glanced at the headline that Piet was referred to.


Lady, I ain’t talking to you so shut up!” it was also instant.


No you shut up! Can't just budge into my office and tell me to shut up!”


Well I just did, what are you going to do about it?”

A storm was brewing.


I'm going to call security,” she proceeded to pick up the phone but it was slammed back by Piet.


Don't want to do that unless you going to cover up a real murder case this time.” a whole new evil face covered Piet.


I dare you!” Tina was up to a challenge without any fear.

Lady I'm not here to fight grannies. I'm here because this freak of nature is broadcasting my life when she wasn't on duty like she said.” he was jabbing Georgia's forehead that prompted her to retreat backwards under the cover of Tina.


How do you know she wasn't on duty and that is harassment which you are committing,” she released a witchy sneer before continuing,

You see, man like you keep their mouths shut in front of reporters but not in front of “a friend” I must admit she is really good. Pretty soon, you're going to be in prison where you belong.”


Tina seemed used to such environment and enjoyed herself. At the same time, Piet's grin frightened her.

Oh really!?” he took a deep breath.

Think that I don't know that you would do anything for the Press's survival even if it meant going around killing people and pretending it's me. If I go to prison, you will be stuck with the same old granny party and tea party stories. When that happens your paper will go flat unless that is what you want. I'm pretty sure you the one doing all the murders around and even that of my family.”


Tina froze for a while.

So Georgia, help this granny save her last energy she got by standing up for yourself. Tell me, are you prepared to crucify an innocent person just for the love of money and fame?”

She never got to answer it as Tina had somehow recovered,

You are guilty. You slaughtered your parents … “anger was now written on her forehead.

Somehow, Piet was calm.

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. Doesn't matter, the bottom line is that I have been tried, convicted and released. Better get used to it.”


Tina was mumbling something as if cursing him. He continued nevertheless,

Like I said. Maybe it was you. Your paper was almost non-existent and you badly needed ...”


Tina had reached the mad level and was now yelling for security much to the delight of Piet.

She stormed out due to her impatience leaving Piet to disappear.

When she returned, she found a scared Georgia Howard who had not uttered anything in the row.


Tina was left cursing herself.


***********



Hey there, I give up on you.” Matt was rather laughing and continued,

You actually went to the Express Mail and had a row with that Lady Tiger. Man I wish I was there.” this time he was having a fit from laughing.


I lost it okay. I was so mad at that b***h but ended up with the ma'am Tina.”

It was really clear that Piet had intoxicated himself with the liquor. Matt noticed it due to the sluggish and the draggy voice.


She's going to crucify you, trust me” assured Matt tapping his bottle on Piet's as if making a toast.

It was really obvious as Piet was now used to this although he had no idea what she was going to do.

It was one of those rare moments that had been made possible by the ale when one of them was not on the other's throat.

However, this was interrupted by a series of hard serious knocks. They seemed like someone was using the hammer to knock at the door.


As lazily and staggeringly due to him being drunk, Piet strolled to the door visibly drunk. He was greeted by two police officers who were cloud in their police gear.


We are from the Richmond Police Department,” said the short one who turned out to be a lady.

Mr Triad,” said the other one giving him a paper.

I have come with an arrest warrant … “


Come on officers, don't tell me it's a crime to get drunk in my own house,” Piet was actually now officially drunk.


The tall one proceeded to drew out his handcuffs while stating,

You are under arrest for the murder of Josh Dale.” he proceeded to say the police stuff about the right to silence staff not that Piet was even listening.


Without resisting, Piet was apprehended before heading into the car. His serene actually amused the lady although the guy as well as Matt, who was right at the door all this time, was stolid.










***********








































Piet spent the rest of the night trying to make out had really transpired.

The holding cell was still the same except that this time it was full of occupants.

He never got to spend much time wandering as slumber quickly betrothed him.

Sleep and weariness enveloped his face as he was rudely aroused to be released as someone had apparently bailed him out.


He was really sure that it was not Matt as he (Matt) was pretty glad not having to deal with him in the morning.

The shock that awaited him outside was actually greater than he had anticipated.


You bailed me out? You of all people?”

Georgia nodded her head as she was leaning on her blue Aston Martins.

She handed him a coat and a cup of coffee that Piet ignored.

Come on; don't tell me you want beer early this morning. If you … “she was cut short.


What do you want?” Piet paused as if changing his statement.

No I know you want to really see me suffer and get another idea for your lousy paper and probably get a raise from your Chihuahua. I don't care nevertheless. You and your crew can go to hell.”

He strolled past here past her leaving her really belittled.


How about a thanks Georgia?” she shouted.


Thanks very much. Now you can go to hell.” he continued to stroll down the lane.


I should have left you in jail” she was mumbling as she turned to face her car.


He stopped and went back to her baling her with his rather weird eyes.

You wanted me to rot in prison? So your master sent you down here? I'm not surprised at all. You the one who bailed me out and me never asked you to. So live with it.”

He somehow relaxed and took the coffee gently,

Fine, thanks for this and can you tell me what you really want from me?”


Nothing at all.”

She immediately entered her car before vanishing onto the main road.


If this was part of the mind game, it was simply too weak to affect him. He wanted to go home and just lock himself and meditate on what had really transpired.

That was when another thought entered his mind. It had been long since he had paid Matt a visit.

Besides, he had some explaining to do.

He knew where Matt lived and worked.


Matt rented an apartment in the town centre and it was also his workplace. Since the divorce, he had decided to shift towns and settle in Richmond permanently. He used to come to the town for work related issues. He had made little effort to reconcile with his two children and the law as well as his ex-wife had not made it any easy for him.

She was so determined to suck him dry through maintenance and due to one lousy incident; the law stated that he was a violent figure and a bad influence around the kids. Therefore, he was forbidden from seeing them. The major drawback came when she disappeared with them.

After a series of failure, he shelved the idea of finding them till he was settled.

That was seven years ago.


The echoing of the Bob Dylan's song signified Matt's presence.

Without even knocking, Piet burst in much to the dismay of Matt who was still in his pyjamas reading the newspaper stretched on the sofa.


You should really take some knocking lessons. That's why there is a door which means knocking is really a must into my sanctuary.” he was still glued at the press.


Why should I knock at it? It's not like you got a female guest in your house.” he gently closed the door.


How was prison?” The silence said it all and Matt continued,

Who the hell bailed you out?”


Ms Howard.” Piet was still standing like a kid in front of a council of disciplinary committee.


Matt nodded his head in approval before making fun out of the situation.

I see. Did you thank her, why am I even asking? If I'm wrong, I think she has a thing for you. She's your type and maybe the Press would be less harsh on you.”


Go to hell!” he snapped as he headed to the kitchen leaving Matt finally smiling to himself.

While he was in the kitchen making him a peanut butter sandwich, he saw the folder labelled LEEWOOD SHELTER.

He opened them and browsed through them until he got to Lilly Greene's file


You know her?” Matt was already in the kitchen holding the newspaper which was folded in quarters. It was a rhetorical question and Matt wondered why he had asked Piet that question.


Where did you get this?” This time it was Piet's turn to ask a question that he already knew the answer. This time it sounded more like a plea than an order.

He got his response nevertheless.


Asked around and even went to your orphanage. Hey you been the one telling me to do my work and that's what I did.”

Is she still alive?” Matt was shocked by Piet soft tone.


Is she still alive? You got to be bloody kidding me. If you really want to know, she's very much alive but hates you like hell. She is actually relieved that you are no long around her and I think you know why?”

He was never going to get one.


On what ground was I arrested?” his gaze never left Lilly's file.


You should read the press more often. Anyway, there were witnesses who say they saw you or someone who looked like you wearing a blue raincoat entering the place.

Beside the stuff, you had in the basement didn't help either. Apparently, there were lots of your fingerprints at the murder scene as well as the shoe tracks just like yours. We should not forget the bloody shirt.” he paused before continuing.

They seem to have a pretty solid case against you. Unless you need to tell me something that can end this madness for once.” The toiling with the newspaper showed his unease towards then issue which he had started. Piet’s response showed that he was listening for once.


Like what exactly?” suddenly he snapped.

Oh holy s**t! That was what she was after.” Matt was quite surprised but was too focused on his issue to want to care. Piet went on,


It's really funny because she was rather friendly yesterday and was in my house. Why on earth did she bail me out?”

He was left to wander on his own as Matt closed on him.


Like you said, she was acting all friendly. Why did you kill your brother? Was it to make sure that this time it was over for good this time?”

Piet stopped as if caught but he recovered this time smiling as if Matt had said something of no use.

I’m impressed. You really are catching up. At least you now doing your job and …”

From no way, Matt spring upon him and pressed his neck against the wall full of fury.


Why the hell didn’t tell me about Lilly and Dalem. She saw you kill your brother and now I really need to know why you killed him.”

Although he was in pain, Piet managed to wrestle his way out of Matt’s hold’


I think you know why l never told you? Like you got anything anyway.”

Matt silence was now really misleading. He wanted to act as if he had no idea but Piet was never one who would just say anything like that.


You thought that I would never know why you chose you chose to defend me of all people. At first I thought that you were genuine but as l wander about that was it all became all clear to me.” He paused as if assessing Matt who was really stolid for once.

He opened the fridge and extracted a pint of beer before continuing.


You see when people are at a tight spot, they tend to do strange things like trying to defend one of the town’s most hated criminal when he’s infamous for having the most losses in the history of this town. No one was really prepared to hire you and your debt was really … “

He sipped his beer.

“… It was really bad. At the same time your trophy wife saw the worse side of your life when you really took out your anger on her.”


I don’t have time for this …” Matt was now going into the lounge when he was stopped at the door. Piet rushed and forcibly shoved him back into the kitchen.


I haven’t finished my story,” his crooked smile showed that he was really having fun.

Anyway you became a wife basher and your image was thrashed while your wife wanted out along with your kids. DA then came up with a solution for this problem. Do what you do best and all your problems will disappear. You did the opposite and your kids disappeared along with your ex-wife. Bet your kids are now … “

From no way a thousand backed fists covered his temple. He staggered as if to maintain balance before crashed onto the floor first having a quick detour on the table.


If you bloodily say anything about my kids I will kill you.” Matt was now; hovering with fury. He was struggling to catch his breath as his chest was pumping continuously.

In response, Piet rose up laughing while holding his temple while blood was now oozing out of his busted left eyebrow.


GET OUT NOW!” Matt was now howling at him.

Without offering any resistance, Piet took his leave and slamming the door.






***********


























A Shabby dressed man glanced at the newspaper while outside on the veranda enjoying the morning rays of the sun.


His relaxed state showed it was now more of a routine.

His wife joined him gazing at the newspaper.


When is this circus really going to end?” the wife complained.

Soon,” the man responded without losing his focus on the paper.

You should actually be grateful for this life. No hustles, no disturbances, threats and everything. I won’t mind this going on for ever as long as he keeps his cool.”

Why can’t he just come here and live with us instead of being a pet of the Press?” the wife was now almost worried.


Try telling him that” A young man emerged with a basket full of corn as well as tomatoes. He was in a blue dungaree and a black gum boots. From no way the young man and the wife started discussing the paper much to the annoyance of the man.


He knows what he is doing and I wouldn’t really be worried about him at all. What you should be worried about is what going to happen if I don’t get my breakfast.”

This had the opposite effect as his wife and the young man burst into laughter.


This is going to be the last time you demand food. You should learn to ask politely next time or else you will make it yourself.” She was now in control. She rose and got the basket before entering the house.


Son,” he drew him closer him closer and whispered to him.

Let me give you a free advice. This marriage stuff is never good for your health and I would never recommend it especially with this women’s rights stuff unless you hypnotize her till she …”


NO you didn’t tell him to hypnotize his wife! “His wife opened the window and there was a start of one of those ‘friendly’ fights that always occur in the morning before breakfast.

The lad smiled to himself before entering the house.









The television set was on broadcasting the evening news. The intended listener was busily staring at the ceiling as if deeply consumed with deep thoughts.


It had been a normal Sunday. While others were busy in churches, he was busily planning his next move with the aid of beer. He stared at the wall clock for the umpteenth time as if waiting for a really important appointment.

Although he was on his way to court, staying out of trouble was never an option to him although not the greatest option in the world. If he was caught, it would guarantee him jail time for at least ten years.

It had been two days since Matt’s outburst and he had not heard from him nor made any real attempt to get in contact with him.

For two days, he had backed out of this stupid idea but this time he seemed more determined than ever. As if he had reached a consensus, he switched off the TV before heading out. Getting a cab was quite easy and in no time, at all he had reached Georgia’s place.


She was a single and a new resident. Most of her type usually settled in the apartments near the town or the Chrystal areas that she had chosen herself. She stayed with a friend and lived in rather large house which two floors in it. Although there has been cases of burglary there were really neither of great issue nor of the violent type except in a few cases. The house was a normal two-floored type in the suburban of the Chrystal. It was a real quiet area of the middle class people or the stereotype class.


It was ten o’clock in the evening and he knew that she was not home as she had to cover a social gathering that ended roughly in the midnight. Breaking into houses had been one of his specialties. It was eve made quite easier by the lack of a proper security system. It was easy especially on the blind side of the house.

Through the window, he managed to creep into the house. Using his hand as well as a small touch, he maneuvered in the house carefully caring not to upset anything in the process.

From what he was seeing, she was a well-off woman, as the lounge seemed to be furnished quite well.


Although he seemed to inspect the lounge, he never knew what he was really looking for. As quickly as he could, he went upstairs towards the bedroom and there were two bedrooms.

The rooms seemed to be really clean and tidy. He had no idea which room was Georgia as neither of them had any papers, books or anything related to her work.

It was really futile adventure.


Just when he was about to get out, he heard the roaring of a car just outside the house. The car was flashing on the blind side that he had intended to use as an escape route. The other option was to use the front door but it was way too risky. The last remaining option was to hide in the house and sneak out when they had gone upstairs. As he was seeking for a hiding spot, that was when he saw the ceiling door above him. The fear of rats and bugs was nothing compared with the consequences of a break in.

Just when he got into the ceiling that was when the door was opened. Voices of two ladies grumbling about almost everything emerged.

The other was unmistakingly Georgia’s but the other seemed quite familiar.


Initially it was about the gathering that was excruciatingly boring and they were madder that they had missed a party for some scrub. Afterwards it was the usually girl talk which was more irksome than the party staff.

He only gets aroused when his name was mentioned,

What’s up with you and the Piet guy? You bailed him out, were at his house the other day and even wander together in town.” The sound of glasses showed that they were pouring themselves some juices or wine.

Nothing. He is just my story that all.”

This town been kinda rough at him but you’re now sticking by him if you know what I mean and you have been with him.”

No! No, that is not gonna to happen ever.” The switching of the television set showed that they were now in the lounge.


Come on you guys look good together. Look at this, unless you are now going out with that moron Moss guy, you are single and I bet he’s single. Think of it a reporter wanted to put a criminal behind bars but ends up falling for him.”


You have been watching too many movies.”

At least Piet was agreeing with her on this issue.

Georgia then drew up a list of why they cannot fall in love and it included his manners as well as his reputation to name the list.

Did he ever have a girlfriend?” she asked and got an immediate response from her housemate.

Her friend only managed to come up with only one correct ex-girlfriend .She managed to extract a long list of his imaginary girlfriends.


It only took a person with a nutcase of a heart to bear this.

A bug suddenly trickled past Piet’s face that was lying down and startled him. It was pitch black and he had assumed that it was an ordinary ceiling with very small space.

As he felt for the ceiling, he was quite amused by its size. It later turned out to be an attic complete with a desk, a desktop computer and a bunch of files in it.

As quietly as he could, he crawled to the desk and began his investigation process using his torch although there was a table lamp. All of a sudden, he tried to use the table lamp as he had got really tired of having to hold the torch. The real battle came when he had to focus the lamp towards the boxes that he had placed on the table.

He opened the red box and was shocked by the picture on top. It was a picture of him that seemed quite recent. He brushed it aside as a thousand notions were already in his mind. The box turned out to be full of pictures of him as well as every article about him since the day of his alleged murder of the Triad family.

Everyone used to say that he was really obsessed with Lilly but this was really madness. She seemed like a stalker. As quickly as he could, he restored the pictures and articles as they were before shifting his attention on the next one.

Disappointment filled him as it contained pictures of unknown people, Georgia as well as s scribbles.

The long giggly chat ensured him that the two ladies were still too busy having fun to notice the intruder.

The search on the file seemed futile except one that had pictures of the evidence that was being used to nail him down. That was unusual since she was a journalist whose primary aim was to destroy him.

What really intrigued the most was the picture that he found in one of the files. It looked old and contained a family who were behind an aeroplane. His first notion was that it was Georgia’s family and she was the baby being held by the mother in the company of three young boys. One was slightly taller than the others.

The more he stared at it, the more confused he got.

This was not her family but his family.


So absorbed with this discovery, he never picked up a dark figure crawling in the attic. What he managed to pick was the hard knock on the back of his head that forced him to crash down on the floor.

Georgia stared at the lifeless body of Piet as if assessing the victim’s position. The ramp shack of the files told her what he was doing. She quickly browsed through them. Her mate shouted if she was alright in the attic.

She shouted something about bugs so as to ease her off.

After being satisfied, she left and locked it up before joining her friend downstairs.












Matt paced furiously in his office with a war on his mind. He picked up the phone once again but there was still no answer.


Where is he?

This thought seemed to be alive echoing in the room.

At first, he had thought that he was deliberately ignoring him or worse fired him due to his double standard.

He was left to curse him. Why can’t he have a cell phone just like everyone else?

This went unanswered except for the occasional whistling of the kettle. The trial date had set for less than a fortnight and Piet was no way to be seen.

Matt had nothing to lose this time around and thinking of persuading Piet to work with him was the difficult task. The only problem was that he was either ignoring his calls or was not even at home. He knew what he had to do and where to get answers from.

















Piet had no idea how he had slumbered or where he was. Idly and slowly, he forced himself against the wall.

His head was banging and a severe headache was now clouding him.

As more morning light filled the room, he realized that he was still in Georgia’s place in the attic. It was quite bigger than it had appeared the other night. Everything started to fall into place as he recalled what had happened.

His shift towards the ceiling produced fantastic results. The ceiling was actually a workroom that was full of boxes other than the one that he had seen the other night. The perspiration on his hand remained him of the photo that had rested on. He picked it up as if to already assess what he already knew.

The ‘supposed’ wall opened and in emerged Georgia with a tray with coffee and some toast and egg.

At last you are up, thought that I had killed the other night,” she placed the tray right in front of him before continuing,

Next time, use the door and notify me in the process and we’d avoid this. Oh, god does that hurt? Don’t tell me I busted open your eye?”

She wheeled herself towards him and pressed on the swelling that was on Piet’s left side of his forehead. From no way, she extracted a pack of ice that she placed gently on the swollen part.

Piet snatched it from her and placed it on his forehead.

What do you expect? You knocked me out and I landed on my forehead.”

A silence enveloped the room and Georgia broke it.

What exactly where you looking for in my house?” she sat beside him while trying to assess the damage she had inflicted upon him.

Piet remained still studying her as well as trying to determine the next possible events. He then planted the family photo right in front of her.

What exactly did you think I was doing here?” this was now part of his mind games and she prepared for.

Don’t know but what I really know is that you broke into my house and that is a crime which I would be ready to report myself. Coffee?” She munched a toast before offering him one. He gently took it and quickly finished it.

Fine, what do you want from me?” this was a great victory for Georgia. For the first time, Piet appeared defeated and really vulnerable.

It’s not what I want but what you really want?” she was still on her toast and pretended to ignore Piet’s gaze. Whatever she was doing seemed to be really working and this was one victory in the bag for her.

What exactly do I want?” the room was now tense.

Justice!” she picked up the photo before repeating it again more slowly

Justice!”

She picked up a sneer and went on

Why do you need it when your hands are covered in their blood? You killed your family and now you killed that Josh guy. Why you claim never did it when … “she must have got to him as the next action was speaking for itself. From nowhere he had pressed her on the wall choking her in the process.

Listen here Ms Howards,” he howled in her face before continuing,

Listen here. I’m having one hell of a lousy year. Someone wants me in prison or dead and I got a lousy journalist who really wants to destroy me just like everybody else …”

He released her before apologizing to her.

You didn’t have to do that! I know you didn’t kill him. What’s wrong with you!?” she was holding her neck momentary coughing.

How do you know that I didn’t?” he was now testing the ground.

She poured herself some coffee before continuing,

If you had killed him, I would have noticed and turned into a famous one. My real job is really to make a story out of you. I can easily do that but I preferred you doing something stupid that was front cover material. Anyway I followed you down to the Josh’s place.”

She paused and went to the door as if spying on someone. After a while, she beckoned him to follow her downstairs into the kitchen.

Could have let you down a long time ago but my friend is not really cool hanging around criminals if though she says so, if you know what I mean.”

She opened the fridge and extracted beer that she gave to Piet. Surprising enough he declined it preferring coffee.

Now I’m a criminal!?”

You broke into my house and that makes you one. Anyway, I know a lot about you and I think if we work together, we can both get what we want. You get justice and I get my story, how’s that?”

All this time, he was silent as if he was concentrating on the coffee as well as viewing the kitchen. It was actually cleaner, orderly and way fresher than his. It was actually small but the way in which it really smelled was really pleasant for once.

He then shifted his attention to her as she had stopped talking as it was clear that he was not listening.

If you really mean what you saying right now, explain to me why you were so friendly the other day and the next day, I’m plastered all over the cables. Why did you sell out?”

I didn’t.” Piet maintained his cool and gave Georgia a chance to explain herself.

I’m trying here to be a great journalist who is really impartial and you happen to be my story. I needed to take a new angle that is different from the others. I needed to show them that you are really innocent.” She paused as if to assess his reaction that was somehow motionless. She continued toying with the picture.

I have been studying you a lot. Taking snaps of you. I believe that I can help you if you cooperate with me. For instance, who is in this picture?”

She knew that she was never going to get an answer from him as he was busy toying with the sink. She immediately shoved it into his face repeating her question this time sterner and louder. The response was never amusing at all.

You should know since you are the one with it.” He was calm.

I took it from your house gaddamnit!” it was a mistake and she knew it.

Oh! That makes us even. You broke into my house and I got in here.”

It’s different!” she was now losing the plot.

Doesn’t matter. Listen I really want to work with you but I never trusted you. You know that granny staff I said the other day. I made it up. You were the only one who knew it and apparently, it ended in the press. Now you want me to work with you! Now you have this museum of me. At least I got a fan. You’re stalking me, violating my privacy and now this. Thanks to you, I might be heading to prison. So you can go to hell with that partnership stuff.” He was calm this time taking his time to sip his coffee.

If you don’t work with me on this one, I will call the cops and they would be really glad to arrest you.” She was now mad and this was really working for him.

He rose slowly and took the phone from it pouch on the wall and handed it over to her. She grabbed it and returned it to the pouch. He turned to leave but only stopped when he was half way.

If you really want to know they are my family.” He was really sincere this time.

But they … “she was now confused.

I know, isn’t that obvious that’s my real family and I know that you’re going to paste it on the paper like you always do.”

Where are they?”

That’s for you to find out.”

Did you kill them?” another mistake.

You know what?” he turned to leave and continued, “For once I was starting to think you for real but you are no different from the rest of them. You already got your story so save yourself time and money on this s**t … “

The door was suddenly opened and in emerged Georgia’s friend who was mumbling about forgetting something. As soon as she saw Piet’s face, she stopped on her tracks as if prettified. She dropped her handbag as fear started to crawl into her.

Georgia was amused but Piet was not and continued

“… so that staff isn’t going to happen not a million years. Thanks for the coffee. What’s up Mona, by the way, I’m Piet Ian Triad but you can call me Ian. Been long, we should go out sometime when you are not really scared of me.”

Georgia was really surprised and never got an answer from both of them as Piet went out and Mona quickly went up to her room before shooting out into her car.












Early in the morning, Joslyn Crufurd was actually surprised to really see Matt already on her doorstep. She had just returned from her morning jog and was still in her tracksuit and sneakers. She invited into her house but he declined that offer and even declined an offer of coffee.

The greeting had been hastily exchanged as he quickly got his agenda. He accepted an offer to sit on the nearby slabs. He handed over the files that he had taken the other day.

Could have just sent them and saved yourself time and money unless it’s not all?” she was right but insisted that she takes a shower before shower before he starts the process. In the meantime, he tried calling Piet but to no vain. After what seemed like ages, she finally emerged now in a rather casual dressing,

After a small talk, she proceeded to ask him,

I know this’s a business call and this early visit means something wrong with your case. What did he do this time?”

What did he do this time? Plenty of things trust me you don’t want to know. Anyway I’m not really here to talk about him but about his brother Dalem.”

He was careful to say Dalem instead of Joshua.

She nodded.

When Dalem was stabbed to death, were you really positive that he was dead.”

Off course. A doctor even confirmed it. Besides you didn’t need a doctor to know that he was dead.”

What happened to the body?” he was now more serious than ever.

As in what?” she was now confused and scared.

Was it buried or taken someway else?”

Neither. You see that was quite strange. Usually we bury those who die here unless there was another wish of the deceased. In Dalem’s case, his younger brother insisted on him being cremated.”

Matt was now shocked and delighted by this discovery. Dalem got stabbed and Piet insists on him being cremated so that everyone would think that he was dead and there would no way to prove that he never died. That kid was really smart.

Where did this happen? Do you know the person who did this process as well as the doctor who behind this?”

It was now done by the same person. Anyway, he lives five miles north of this place. He retired but sometimes comes here once in a while to help out. His name is Doctor Steven Taylor.

Why did he resign?” this seemed like a routine question but the response seemed otherwise.

It’s strange actually. One minute he was rolling up in debts and suddenly he has an overflow of money from once off gambling act.” She paused as if assessing Matt and trying to figure out what was really happening.

Matt was not seeing anything dodgy about it. She went on nevertheless

I have worked with him long enough to know that he is not a gambler nor has he ever been to one.” Matt still could not find anything strange about it. It was really common for beginners to strike gold on their first attempt.

I know that you think I’m crazy or paranoid but there was something wrong about it. I have heard stories of no one ever winning in the Rich casino and he was the first ever. The strange thing was that the owner held the money saying he might have tempered with the machines or something. Everyone knows that the machine there are made in such a way that no one ever wins.”

How do you know all about this?” it was more of a routine question.

Before I came here after 12 years back, I used to work there and that was part of my job as well as others ensuring that no one ever wins the jackpot. You could win at most a five hundred or thousand bucks but a couple of million bucks was impossible. The casino was made in such a way that it was making profits not releasing it.”

What are you saying?” Matt was now aroused and somehow interested.

Stevie’s win was not just a win but I think either he tempered with the machines or some else did maybe one of those dark deals.” She stopped and stared at the view of the road.

Was he into dark deals or something?” Matt was not sure where it was going but he had a real theory behind it.

Nope. Not that I know of. Besides the fact that he quickly lost his debt in a rather mysterious way. How does it have anything to do with Ian’s case?” she suddenly shifted her focus on Matt who was quite stolid on it.

I don’t know.” He tried to maintain his composure. Crufurd started laughing on your own.

You don’t know or you don’t want to tell me?” she gave him a rather uncomfortable stare that made him unease and quickly changed the subject.


After finding out that, he was married more than twenty years ago and he had three children he took his leave.


***********



It only took him less than ten minutes to get to the Taylor compound. It was one huge farm with a mansion of a house on one end and endless acres of corn land on the other.

It must have been a lot of money or maybe savings or something dodgy that must have made him able to afford this.

When he entered the compound, she was greeted by a flair looking lady who seemed quite young although her face said something else. She was drowned in a black maid’s outfit complete with a white apron. She had a basket that had corn, eggs and other things.

At first, he thought that she was one of the maids but turned out to be Doctor Steve Taylor’s wife Isabelle Belle Taylor. She was one courteous lady who really knew how to treat visitors. It turned out that he was still in the field as usual and he had to wait a couple of minutes to see him.

In the meantime, he was lead into what he presumed was the lounge. It had huge portraits of the family, huge sofas and also a fireplace.

It was a real good place.” He seemed to be thinking. Matt thought that he was thinking but instead Isabelle looked at him and said,


He bought this place so we all had to do was fill it up. Otherwise thanks for the comment”

This was one of the few ladies who actually admitted the true beauty of their houses. She offered him some roasted corn that he took after moments of hesitation.


How did you meet your husband?” he was still admiring the beauty of the house as he was lead to the huge sofas. He never had the intentions of interrogating her.

She made it quite easy for him as she told him in the orphanage when she was a general hand. She was quite open and free without realizing it and she ended up talking about her family as well as the fortunate incident that resulted in them getting the place.

She was full of praise of her husband as if bragging to a host of neighbourhood housewives.


It was long before Doctor Taylor arrived. He was a middle-aged man probably in his early forties or late thirties. He was a little suntanned maybe a result of the endless hours in the fields. The well built body seemed fit his height of just nearly six feet as well as his black short hair.


It was quite obvious that he had never seen him before but only heard of him. As he led him into what seemed like a study room, he passed this remark,

Good thing you did for Leewood Shelter. The world really needs few men like you.”

He closed the door and proceeded to inquiry of his business after offering him a seat.


I’m an attorney who has been assigned to defend of mine whom I’m sure you know. His name is Piet Ian Triad but he was known as Ian Blarke.”


A twitch in Taylor’s eye showed that he was aware of him and even admitted it but the twitch meant something else. Matt proceeded never the less.


My client allegedly murdered the family that adopted him five years ago and was convicted. He never actually served the term since he had a drug problem which I presume you were aware of.”

He paused for a moment for a nod from the doctor to show that he was listening.


Ten years ago, he allegedly killed his own brother Dalem and I’m pretty sure you are aware of this case.” Doctor Taylor simply nodded. He even confirmed a picture of Dalem before he was “killed”.

Two weeks ago, I met a young man and talked to him in his own house. The next day, he was found dead in his apartment and Piet should I say Ian was apparent fingered in this case. The murdered guy was called Joshua Dale.”


I don’t see how I can help you with that?” Doctor Taylor seemed to answer him although he had not asked him anything.

I want you to look at the picture of Joshua and see if you remember him from some way.” He placed a picture of Josh right beside that of Dalem.

Dr Taylor denied knowing him although it was quite obvious that he was really alarmed and frightened by the picture. That was what he really wanted.


Matt leaned on the chair and started rocking it as if waiting for Dr Taylor to self-destruct. He went nevertheless,

You were the one who confirmed his death and even performed the cremation of his body but last week l actually talked to him unless he was a ghost or something.”


Listen there are thousand lookalikes in this world,” that was a weak excuse and he knew it.


Doc, I don't want to make trouble for you. All I had are some answers and I will leave you in peace. Wouldn’t don’t want to hurt your wife’s pride, would we?”

Although Taylor was visibly shaken, he remained quiet.


Fine Doc, I will send you a court order compiling to explain why a man you said was dead were in Richmond all this time and why his ash urn contains that of a paper instead of a human being. There is a whole bunch of question you would to answer. You will lose everything in the process. Have a great day.”


Matt rose to live but was stopped by Taylor who raised his hands as if to answer a question and went to the window.

Suddenly the door burst open to reveal an apologetic Isabelle who had bought breakfast for the two gentlemen without wasting any time, she quickly left.

After a little while, Taylor finally broke,

Fine I will tell you as long as it never leaves this room.” Matt nodded.

Taylor went on,

I was in a real financial s**t back then. I couldn’t keep up with the mortgage loan of my house in Richmond and … “he poured himself tea before drowning it without any sugar before continuing,

Promise you won’t tell my wife or else it will be a real disaster.”

Matt just nodded.


A week or so before our marriage, I had this thing with a certain lady and it turned into a baby. It took her a while to tell me this, ten years to be exact. This lady happened to be Isabelle’s old friend and she was demanding a million bucks for the maintenance as well as for no telling Isabelle. You can call it blackmail.

I was in real deep s**t. There was the mortgage, the maintenance as well those that had been a result of bad calls. If it wasn’t for the lady, I would have been fine.”


Why didn’t just tell her? She looks like the forgiving type.” It was an innocent question that needed an answer.

I was going to but that was when Dalem was stabbed. I had initially said that he was alive but that was when an offer was made. Dalem looked dead to everyone and all I had to do was to confirm this.”


Or else?” Matt had lost patience.


I have no idea how but he knew everything about me and my past especially my dark past. I was never one of the greatest people in the world. It’s just say I did some really, really bad staff that you don’t want to hear. If you mind, I would like it to be left in the past.”


As long as you finish the story,” this was going on well.


I forged a death certificate for him and ironically his younger brother wanted him to be cremated just as the caller had instructed me to do. All I had to do was to do as he says and all my problems will be sorted out.”


What of the gambling win?” Taylor gave Matt a shocked look.


You are good. Anyway, he wanted to make the money as legit as possible so as to avoid any questions. The gambling win was how I actually got paid all he did was influence the tables.”


Matt inquired of the amount he received and was really shocked by the amount.


Let me get it straight, you got 2 million bucks just for that!?” Matt didn’t hide his surprise.


Not only for that. I had to take Dale to a certain location that I don’t still remember and treat him till he got better. That was like a month of being invisible and my wife actually thought I had gone to Alaska on a business trip.”


Did you ever see the person?” Matt already knew the answer.


Nope. He would call text, fax, and leave notes on my computer. He had eyes everywhere; he could even tell me what I was doing in my car. Anyway, I did part of his bargain and he did his. I never got any threats from the lady although I never got to see my child.”


Taylor somehow felt relieved and started eating his breakfast. Matt was not really shocked with what he had heard. It only approved his notion that Dalem was never dead and maybe he was still alive. He even asked him whether he still wanted to see her.


Off course but she is probably all grown up maybe with another father. I wouldn’t mind but would she really mind?”


The talk suddenly shifted into sports weather cooling the intensity of the room. Matt had to ensure him of his confidential agreement again before he left.

Obvious of what had transpired in the room, Isabelle gave Matt some corn and fruit or his visit. It was already noon and he had no idea how he was going to use the information he had obtained.










































"Did anyone tell you that you are a freak of nature and a son of b***h?”

It was a rather light and soft rebuke. He was actually tired of being angry with him? All that was needed was a sense of humour once in a while. Matt made himself comfortable on Piet’s couch.


He was actually getting comfortable on the couch although Piet never noticed it. As usual, Piet had a pint of beer on one hand and a cigarette on the other. It was irritating Matt.


You should really quit that before they kill you. Don’t want to have a belly pot before you reach twenty-five …” the rare moment of advice was never appreciated.


Are you here to talk about my drinking and smoking problem this evening?” he was still standing heading towards the television set.

Although Matt irked Piet’s attitude, he was getting used to it and never minding at all.

He was right after all as that was never the main issue at hand.


When you going to tell me that you never killed your brother ten years ago or even what you did afterwards which was really nasty,”

Piet’s face remained emotionless except for the huffing of the smoke. He took a seat in front of the TV and proceeded to inquire of the Taylor’s family health quite ignorant of Matt’s questions.


Matt was not surprised and pretended to ignore him in return. An eerie silence emerged as each and every one of them was waiting for the other to attack.

Matt repeated his question this time more hoarse than ever.


Am I not allowed to help out a friend in need? He wanted help that he got in return for doing certain tasks. Everyone benefitted and went home happy unless it is a crime too?”

His grizzly stare was actually challenging him as if in a stare down. If it was meant to intimidate Matt, it was never going to work anyway. Matt was not to be beaten like that.


Yeah, the doc’s child had to grow up with a father”


Well I did and I came out fine. Anyway she is fine wherever she is”

Now Matt was mad and confused at the same time. Not only did it not dawn to him, the doc never told him the gender of the child but also this man knew her. He wanted to pursuit this issue and that was when he realized that he was never going to get any meaningful answers from him. He changed the course of the voyage.


The trial date has been set to a fortnight so we better … “


Ohh, Ms Howards mentioned it last night. It’s a long story actually.” The rather confused irked stare from Matt made him say it all leaving some details of Mona Lisa.

If Matt was supposed to have died of a heart, this would have been his memorial. Only God know what he was going to do next if he had not clanged his fists together.

Suddenly he burst down,

Are you really stupid!? You really want to add burglary into your list of crimes too.”


He was now on his feet jabbing his index finger fight into Piet’s forehead. This time, he was really angry with him. He grabbed the pint and emptied it into a nearby plant that was already dead while stabbing the cigarette in the same plant.


This must have got the attention of Piet who was beat to the speech.

Are you stupid? What if she breaks it into the press and that’s her job if you don’t remember. Wake up man and smell the air. For Christ sake, she is a bloody journalist who is really inert on getting her breakthrough story that happens to be you!!! Thought you are too smart for that. You … “

He stopped on his own now aware that he was making a fool out of himself. He was still hovering and huffing on his own while, Piet was almost grinning.


You worry too much. She is not going to write it and as for her partnership deal, she can go to hell.”

Matt was never convinced and brought this out.
























The day was never going to end and this was not what Georgia had planned. Tina was on her trail and she had been eager to face Mona. She could not wait to face her at home.

No wonder the day went quite fast till she was right in front of Mona at home as she was busy pretending to be watching in a fashion show program.


She proceeded to switch it off the TV much to the dismay of Mona. Something was up and she knew what it was all about.


What’s up with you and Piet that I don’t know of?” she was not vivid enough to force an answer what of her. She repeated it this time, more stern than before.


Mona stood up and went to the kitchen and poured herself a glass of wine to take off the edge before the storm. Georgia followed her akimbo.


Okay,” Mona gave in.

I know him and actually had an encounter with him.”

Georgia’s silence said it all.


Listen if you want to be like Piet, you are doing a really bad job of it. Trust me on that one,” she sneered at her. She was still silent and Mona proceeded.


We used to “she paused as if she was not ready to say what she really wanted to say. She had another glass before waiting momentarily.


Back then we used to be in the same class as him and we were really that close enough that we sort of went out. There I said it.” She paused as if to assess Georgia’s action.


Instead of backlashing at her, she burst into a series of uncontrollable laughs that irked Mona who was really shocked. She was in the dark about the sudden outburst.


"What’s so funny about it?"

She got no response except another outburst that irked her even more to the extent that she got back to the TV in a rather depressed mode.


"For once, I never believed the b*****d could actually have a girlfriend to say the least but I happen to live in the same house as she. That is so incredible!!"

This time it was her turn to be more irked. She poured herself a glass of wine and followed her to the lounge


So the talk of him being innocent and stuff was all because you’re still into him and you were actually worried that I might take him away from you ?” there was sarcasm locked on Georgia’s lips.

Mona was still silent staring at her glass of wine that the TV. Something was really wrong and it was not the real issue.

You don’t understand, do you? That’s not the idea. If you want to date him, feel free. Besides it would be for the best for this situation.”

This somehow got Georgia going.

Ok, what’s up and don’t tell me about the love s**t as I’m not feeling it.”


Mona emptied her glass before shying away.

I’m part of the reason why this whole circus is really occurring. I could have stopped it but …” She rose and went back to the kitchen to fill herself another glass.


This definitely aroused Georgia as she followed her with a really confused face that really wanted to get something out. She was really stunned. She had been living with another key to this whole puzzle for nearly a year. She snatched the glass from her and placed it on the table.


Listen. Stop being like him and tell me something to start off so that maybe I might get somewhere. Stop filling yourself with that stuff just your ex does and tell me something, please!”


From no way, Mona’s face was filled with a rather sly smile (a wink to be precise).

You don’t understand, do you? Piet never wanted to be found innocent. He is a really schemer.”


Cockatoo?” this time it was Georgia’s turn to be amazed.


You really think that he just happened to let you write that stuff from no way? Come on, for three years nobody was able to touch neither him nor his house like you have done.” That sly smile was really terrifying her.


Come on, I happened to be in the right place in the right time so …”

Fine. Continue fooling yourself then!”

Are you trying to run away from what I really need to know from you? Why were you really scared of him?” she banged the fridge’s door and announcing herself.


Mona stopped as it was now tense. She slipped from her sight and got herself another glass and prepared to pour herself some wine.

Georgia was never satisfied and somehow still angry as she snatched the bottle of wine from her and poured the contents into the sink. If this was meant to frustrate her, it was not really going to work.


You really want to know! He never killed his parents!” her high pitch huffed up tone suddenly cooled down to a whisper.

I was there with him during that night trying desperately to make him cleaned up on another different location. I gave up and left this town. The next thing you know, he was the main suspect and to top it off he had allegedly confessed to it…”


The whisper died away as it gave way to tears.

Georgia did not really know how to react to this. She did not have to wait long.


Piet and Josh actually were not really that close all because of me. He never really wanted to see me.” If Mona was an actress, she would have really won herself an Oscar but she was just a receptionist. How she had managed to change from tearful poor creature to a distasteful one was anyone’s guess.


She went to the lounge and crashed onto the lounge and surrendered herself.

Went out with him even though I knew of his problem but later chose his friend Josh who was better. From that point, I was not in good books with him. I tried to get him cleaned up but refused. He even refused to have neither me nor Josh testify that he is really innocent.

Now that Josh had been murdered …”


Josh and Piet were friends!?” this time it was Georgia pacing in the lounge and suddenly she had made a deduction.


Now it all adds up, first he kills his brother now he was in need of money and had his family killed and creates this alibi for himself before finishing off the one person who he really hated the most…”

She clapped her hands as if amazed by herself much to the dismay of Mona.


She suddenly got her bag and headed out.























Piet was having a really hard time making Matt really believe that Georgia was not going to write anything else on him.

The loud doorbell startled both of them. Both of them waited for another nerve breaking sound.

Fifty bucks, it’s your girl Georgia,” shouted Matt as Piet went to the door. He had hastily agreed to it and threw some rather disturbing words in the process.


Piet never had guest in the evening except cops arresting him and this was not promising to be really good. The sight of Georgia fully charged on his door was the last thing he wanted.


Sorry for my late arrival but I really need to talk to you now if you want to get away free.”

She never got her answer except the door on her face but she blocked it with her shoe.


Listen here you man, I’m not going anywhere till you tell me that you are okay with the deal we made.”


Like I said before go to hell.” This time it was half hearted.

Fine, got off a Lilly Greene who had some interesting things to say about you? From stalking her and murdering your brother …”

When you’re done with the article, bring it to me for revisions and addition…” she was not done yet.

I even got that you killed Josh because of a girl.”


He paused as if it was really true and Matt suddenly appeared on the doorstep quite interested and asked her to explain herself. She was surprised to see him as he was behind the door all the time. Piet came to her rescue.


She lives with my ex-chick who dumped me for Josh and somehow she thinks she thinks I killed him to get even with him.” He turned to her

If you don’t mind, good night.”


He did not close the door but instead watched as she began her long walk to the gate.

Somehow, in the middle she stopped as if on a landmine before returning half walking half running. She storm past a surprised Piet before closing the door herself.


I think someone is stalking me.” She was really scared or acting up.

About time. You are a bloody journalist who thrives on those freaky articles. On the long run, you pissed of someone real bad and it’s payback time.”

Matt was rather rude and did not stop there.


If that is how you get your stories, you’re really pathetic.”


She was half begging them to believe them as she crept to the window before pointing to a car that was parked outside.

That car has been in my hood, in my work place and now here.”

Matt rushed to window and came out grumbling as there was nothing. Piet was still on the door right where she had left him when she rushed in.


I’m not lying. A car has been following me for the past two days or so.” She was almost crying.


Why not tell the cops?” it was Matt.

Why not have a real car follow you around. At least you won’t have to create a story” this time it was Piet. It was really rude and Matt brushed him aside being more concerned.


Listen Piet, c’mon here what if there is really someone who is stalking her…”

Like you believe her?”

Does it matter whether …?”


Georgia bang on the window stopped this row and went on herself.

You’re not helping. I know when I’m being followed. When a greyish Mercedes E series I guess with a tinted windows, white lines on its sides as well as strange number plates start to follow you, it’s not that hard to notice.” She was making her pretence felt.


You forgot to mention a green smudge-like mark shaped like a maple on its left side of the window.’ Piet was now on the window not facing the two surprised two people.


None of them said nor did anything as they were still wandering what to make of it. To save them time, he signalled to the window and both of them rushed.

Georgia simply nodded while Matt remained transfixed with this discovery.


Oh s**t!” both Piet and Matt snapped at the same time much to the surprise of Georgia.

Simultaneously the two threw glances to each other much to the irritation of the lady who was in the middle of them. The two withdrew from Georgia and somehow started whispering between themselves.


Come to think of it, that same car brushed me at the Taylor’s and I have seen it a couple of times at my apartment. Is it a coincidence or what?”


Someone is watching us …”


Somehow, this was not going on well with Georgia who had been left out and was not late to make this heard as loud as possible.

Piet sudden took charge.

You’re the one being stalked. Mr Martins will take back to your place. I’m really tired and need my beauty sleep.”

Georgia mumbled some words of resistance but was cowed out by Matt who had made peace with the order.







Matt was actually surprised to find himself face first in front on the keyboard. He had no memory what so ever of sleeping.

The recent events were still fresh in his mind just as the futile efforts to track the owner of the car was.


He had no real idea as to what he was going to do and that was when he had a real shock. He had a rather unfamiliar visitor who turned up to be Isabelle.

He did not hide his shock and Isabelle was as apologetic as ever and mentioned something of passing by. Something was up and Matt was not really prepared for it.


I don’t really know what you really said to him but it really worked. He finally told me about the other child.” She was quite high not on drugs but in spirit.


Matt remained numb as if not sure what she was saying.

It’s okay Mr Martins. I knew about it a long time ago. I was just waiting for him to confess about it that he did eventually. Some men.”


Mrs Taylor if you don’t mind getting to the core of your visit.”


Sorry,” she retorted before continuing, “heard you came on the issue of Ian who happened to be the one who told me about the other child. I didn’t believe him at all till the confession. Anyway Dalem and him had different DNAs”


Matt knew what it meant and did not hide this.

Isabelle proceeded to explain what she meant as well as confirming what he knew already.

The rest of the meeting yielded really nothing until Isabelle’s remarks

.

Ian might have been a junkie but he was smart for his age. At first he used to be really strange why he did to Dalem but later on it turned out that he was protecting him.”


From what exactly?” she shrugged her head.


When he was “high’, I was usually the one who had to attend to him and he used to talk of ghosts haunting him. He told what was going to happen to his brother and that was to take place the next day. At first I thought that it was a game but when I saw the lifeless body of his brother that was when it got really messy.”


Matt’s silence said a lot of things and her statement of Ian being stalked really amazed him.

What about him and Lilly Greene?


That was something else which I never got to understand. Please just save that guy or save someone else from being murdered.”


She stood up to leave and was at the door when Matt suddenly shouted

Do you believe that he was responsible for all the murders?”

She shrugged once before releasing another bombshell that really shocked Matt for real this time. She then took her leave.


Without waiting for anything, he dialled for Piet and as usual, there was no one picking it up.














































It had been a slow morning at the Express Mail. It was already 10am and Georgia was already weary. The previous events had really scared away her sleep.

Her short slumber had been interrupted by her superior who notified her that her pretence was really needed at the Richmond Grand Hotel early in the morning.


It turned out to be a misunderstanding as the event was nothing but a local artist trying to make a fool out of himself. It was news nevertheless but not Georgia’s kind on that day. She took her leave upon giving a feeble excuse and someone in charge.

Few people noticed her as she went into the premise straight to her office.


When she turned to face her desk, she was really shocked to see Piet quite cosy on her chair. She immediately locked her office.


How did you get in here, pass everyone? You got nerves coming here …” she stopped herself as she was making a fool out of herself.

Piet continued reading the newspaper while being quite cosy on her chair. He was really an intruder and his black jacket did not help either. She repeated herself.


Same way you came through,” he was still focused on the press.

What do you want?” she was trying as much as possible to be in control but to no vain.


So it’s fine when you pitch up at my place at any time and hell when I reply the favour?

Anyway did you find anything?”


Huh?”


Don’t tell me you forgot to look for the owner of the car.”

He reached for his jeans pocket and placed a snap of the car on the table. She was scared and enquired where he got from.


At your place. Wasn’t sure so I had to stalk you as well and the car was also stalking you as well.

This seemed like the last straw as she released a rather tame blow that caught him completely off guard. It managed to throw onto the floor.

He slowly rose up wiping laughing much to the dismay of Georgia.


If it really piss you, next time don’t stalk me. Anyway your buddy is outside waiting for you unless you tell me something.”


Fine,” she reached for laptop, “this is what you really get when you work on short notice.

The car is not registered so he might have bought or made them himself and there are many of them who do that kind of stuff.”


On her laptop screen was a list of names as well as their addresses. Piet was now fixed on the list especially when he came upon a rather familiar name Brett Made.

She was really amused when he ordered her to follow her and she quickly declined the offer.


Listen if you really want a story, you go and get it.”

She declined the offer nevertheless giving Tina as an excuse that he brushed off.

He removed his jacket and dumped them on her despite her protest. He did the same with his black sneakers.

Her instruction was to bolt out of her office acting like someone else. She would find him outside.


As she wheeled herself outside, she was really surprised that no one really minded her as well as greeting her. She had no idea how Piet was going to get outside without being seen.

Shock and surprise bestowed upon her as she found Piet already in the car park with a yellow taxi.

As soon as it was on the road, she threw off her jacket.


Damn Piet your stuff smell like s**t. Do you ever wash them?”

She was not expecting an answer and she never got one either. Instead, she spied the car still outside the premise this time not following them.


Tell me about your parents?” that was unexpected from Piet and she was shocked.

Does this have anything to do our expedition?” it was Georgia’s turn to Piet. For a moment, he appeared stunned but maintained composure.


Maybe, just that I don’t really think your dad’s cool with me hanging with you. He was never liked me.”

Hey you! He died before I was born. Happy?”

Oh really!? Have you seen his ashes or his grave?”


Cut it out! For once Piet have a heart and respect me!” she was really angry and retreated to a silent mode.


**********


As soon as they reached Newman, Piet disappeared and left her on her own.

Her instruction was to interview him in his office.

Brett’s place was more of a garage and it really gives it a really bad first impression. The yard was really small as most of the area was taken by the large house cum garage.

She slowly walked to the garage admiring the area.


The garage door was really open and there was a blue car in it. Under it was a young man who was so invested in his work that he was really surprised to see her.

He was a full beard man clad in a blue overall that had been tainted by grease and oil. He wiped his hand and proceeded to inquiry the real purpose of her visit.

She did not disappoint but she was surprised to see Piet already in his office.


Oh you’re still alive and when are you going to learn to use the proper door instead of the window.” He was not really surprised to see him in his office meddling with his laptop much to the astonishment of Georgia.

Brett gave Georgia one funny stare and shouted out,

I thought Mona was the best you would ever have but this one is not bad.”

Georgia wanted to burst out but was beat by Piet.


You haven’t changed too. You’re still making illegal plates too. These guys are really looking for a front page and you might be the perfect one.” He was smiling.

Okay what do you want now?” Brett was now leaning on the wall with his hands in his pockets. Piet neatly placed the photo of the car on the table.


Brett hesitated for a moment before going to have a look on it. Piet gave him an introduction.

Apparently that car which you fixed was stalking her. Next time don’t use the maple leaf that’s so Brett. Can you please tell whose was it?”

That was the first time, Georgia had ever heard saying please and she was rather pleased.


I never asked. If a guy comes with a real good offer its better if you don’t ask.” He pulled a drawer and emerged with two photos of the same. One was before the makeup and the other was the end result.

I knew it might come in handy. It’s not like I knew he was going to stalk your girlfriend. When did you start to caring anyway especially her since she is part of THE PRESS?” He was now on his chair staring at him.


I don’t. He’s back and got Dalem again!”

What!?” both of them were really shocked.


Dalem was alive all this time and you never filled me …”

That’s not the point! He’s back okay and now after my family! I now need you to tell me whose car was it before someone else gets killed.” This was more of an order than a plea.


How did he? Guys he’s here.” Georgia was now at the window. Brett sprung to the window and saw it for himself.

Once again tell me who was it?” Piet was now more serious than ever.

Brett never got a name and his description was bad too except for a few details that intrigued him. He gave them some car keys and told them to use the backyard as there was another one.

He was true to his word as there was a grey salon car on the other side of the house that they could not see.

On the way, he called Matt, using Georgia’s cell phone so that they would meet at her place although she never agreed to it.



Why didn’t you tell me that your biological mother is still alive?” that was Matt’s greeting as soon as he got into Georgia’s place.

Because you never asked. Besides you’re late.” Piet was rather calm despite Matt’s raving.

It was now nearly midnight. He then went to tell him of Mrs Taylor’s visit and wanted him to explain to him about his real parents.

I never lived with them except a few run ins. Satisfied?” Matt was not but he wanted to avoid a war.

After having calmed down, Matt proceeded to tell him of his finding although he never said anything about the Taylor’s fiasco. As expected Piet knew it all.

When it was his turn, he just emerged with the two photos he got from Brett and proceeded to explain it to him.


*********


They spent the next two hours deducing their finding even though Piet never mentioned to them about having an idea as to who was behind it.

Most of the time was actually spent by Matt and Piet’s rows that really fascinated her.

At that time, Georgia suddenly burst,

What if the number on that plate was more of a message?”

Both of them were really anxious to hear her thoughts on this one.


Think about this. Think of how the zodiac operated. KUB 104 XIN. Maybe 104 is the day or the time or both and KUB and XIN refer to either the person or place. Anyway forget I said anything.”

Piet started mumbling the number much to the surprise of both Matt and Georgia.


What’s the time and date?” he remained focused on the number.

Nearly an hour after midnight and the date is … are you onto something?”

What’s the bloody date?” this time he never needed one as the calendar spoke for itself.

Suddenly he picked up his jacket and ordered them to follow him.


Attempts to make him reveal the real destination were in no vain. He was on a race behind the wheel much to the dismay of Georgia. She was more worried about being arrested than their real destination.

Matt was the silent one who was patiently waiting to find out. It did not take long for him to find it out as for Georgia, she was clueless.

Polane! Seriously! It doesn’t have a P…”

No one was really listening to her. While Georgia was still battling out as to their real destination, Matt was already dreading the stairs when they were in still in the car.


No one said anything as Piet stopped the car in front of the Tex flats before storming in it. The others followed. The battle stopped when they were on the tenth floor. Georgia stopped and suddenly remarked,

Can you smell that? Smells like gas leaking.”

It’s hope we’re not late.” Piet said as he quickly rushed to the intended door.

That was when it dawned to her the real place they were seeking. As for Matt, he was still taking a breather on the stairs.

The door was locked and Piet was continuously kicking but to no vain. It was Matt who came to his rescue with a small rod that had been used to block the lift’s door.


After a while, the door gave way releasing an unmistakingly odour of gas. Piet stormed in calling out Lilly’s name while Matt was looking for the source of the leak. Georgia was quite prettified by the gas while still away from harm’s way.


It seemed a while before Piet emerged with Lilly who was unconscious and pale. While maintaining his balance, he rushed down the stairs three or four steps at a time. Georgia was behind wondering how Lilly fitted in the equation. When she caught up with him, he was already beside the grey sedan fanning her and ensuring as much ventilation as possible.

As soon as Matt finally joined them, the car was now on twice the speed they came. This time, Georgia never objected but was surprised when they went to Brett’s place.

She was even amused when Lilly Greene was rushed in a room that resembled a hospital room complete with all the medical stuff.


What the hell happened to her?” Brett was still quite sleepy as he watched Matt place Lilly on a bed.

Someone tried to gas her.” Piet was already placing the oxygen mask on her face.


Apparently someone cut the gas line while closing every window and door. By the way our friend’s car was outside the flat on the other side.” Matt added on.


You sure made some good friends. I hope you don’t really involve me in one of your messy ones like before. I’m not getting involved this time, period!” Brett was now stolid leaning against the wall.

Piet suddenly rose up and looked at him in the eye,


Whether you like it or not, you’re already involved, trust me on that one. There was nothing I could do back then but I think I can change it this time. Can you pretend to like me just this once?”

An awkward silence enveloped the room.


Fine, what now? This friend of yours seems quite serious. First Josh now Lilly and I presume him going after your mom or her,” he paused looking at Georgia who was still at the door dozing off.

Suddenly she aroused herself and said,

So Lilly and Josh are your siblings?” she never got the answer to that one.


Don’t worry about it, I think I have an idea of who’s next but the problem is where?” he turned to Georgia.

You better get some sleep. Tomorrow you got work.”


It was really obvious that she was in great need of sleep but she declined the offer preferring coffee instead.














A Loud buzzing sound shuttered her beauty sleep. She never recalled sleeping yet she was in in a bed covering with a layer of blankets.

She turned to the source of the alarm that turned up to be her cell phone. It was 8a.m and she was going to be late. She usually started work at around 8a.m depending with the day.


When she turned to the other side of the bed, she was surprised to see fresh clothes neatly hanged on the door. The room was well equipped with the necessary accessories that she would really need.


She quickly took a shower and changed into her fresh clothes that were a perfect fit. Thousands of questions entered her mind but no one was able to answer them. She left the room and went downstairs to the kitchen.


At last you are awake. I was about to wake you up.” Brett was making some eggs.


The table was well set up and there were two plates on. He then offered breakfast to her that she declined.

It wasn’t asking whether you really want it but it was an order. Besides Piet will kill me if he heard that you left on an empty stomach.” Brett was now pouring some coffee in the two cups on the table.


Reluctantly she sat down and accepted the offer.

How did I appear in bed when I never remembered lying on one?”


It was Piet’s idea since you’re stubborn. At least the coffee gave you a beauty sleep and you should be thankful about that.”

Do you really fear him that much?” she was already on her toast.

Nope but it is really good to see him actually being concerned for another human being who isn’t his brother or sis. However I don’t actually see what you see in him anyway.”

She giggled lightly before correcting him the real terms of their relationship.


You’re not his type either.” He joined her in the breakfast as he added eggs to her plate.

This seemed the perfect moment for her to get to know a few things about Piet before she faces him again.


Mona mentioned that Piet only works with anyone if he wants something from that person. What does he want from you? I mean he could have picked any one to write his stuff but why me?”

For a moment, she paused expecting a silent treatment but she got a response nevertheless.


You know Mona? How do you … oh you live with her,” he answered his own question before continuing,

Maybe that is the main reason or something. Listen I don’t know. You’d better ask him yourself. Now I think you are a part of this mess too just like me too again.”

There was an element of disgust in his tone.


She continued to press on for more information but only got the ordinary. He noted that,

Listen just like you, I have no idea what is really going on. What I can tell you is that this is some part of a family feud which we happened to caught in its midst. Now eat up before you really become quite extremely late since you are already late.”

There was no more talk of Piet until she was at the car almost leaving,

Ms Howards something is really going on so watch your back and work with him for your safety. He may be a real b*****d but trust me on that one.”


She thanked him and left. She was shocked to see her car was outside waiting for her. She laughed to herself as she drove off to work.







































Mrs Express wants to see you right now!” that was Mona as soon as Georgia entered the building.


Mona did not leave her nevertheless and she went with her into her office.

Where the hell were you yesterday? Came at around one to find that you weren’t home and that is not you. I’ve been worried sick.”

At last, she said out why she had followed her to her office.


You always complain about me hanging around too much in the house so I got out.”

Mona was not convinced and gave her the unsatisfied look. Georgia then gave it another shot.

I was out really following up a story and I got carried away until it was pretty late.”


Mona folded her arms as if in deep thought,

Let me guess, you were with Piet or on that Piet’s story or as Piet’s date.” There was no answer to that one. Mona was not done yet.

Listen, its okay you can tell. I won’t tell a soul. We’re like sisters. Anyway hope you were really with him because I think he’s in trouble again.”


She placed the newspaper with the front headlines written,

MYSTERIOUS EXPLOSION CLAIMS ONE

She quickly browsed the story until she reached a part that stated that,


apparently a source claims to have seen infamous Piet Ian Triad

entering the building and out half an hour before the explosion. The

source of the explosion seemed to be a gas leak. No official word has

been said but the first suspect maybe Piet …”


She stopped reading and asked,

What’s up with Piet and Mrs Express? Did something happen between them?”


Nothing I know of. She simply hated him since the first day he started making front page headlines.”

Has it occurred to you that Piet might be innocent and he never killed anyone at all or the fact that no one is really dead in the first place?”

She gave a hard stare at Mona who seemed shocked by this.


I know you love him and all and I might believe you on the innocent part but not on the ‘not being dead’ part. That’s crazy! If they are not dead, why suffer this humiliation and degrading process.” Mona was now at the door.


Georgia quickly rushed out as soon as she recalled that Tina wanted to see her.

She bolted in much to the surprise of Tina who was on her laptop.

Where the hell were you yesterday? I have calling you, leaving voice messages, texts and I even sent a bloody email!” Tina was really in a foul mood.


Sorry I had forgotten my cell phone at home,” that came out quite easily and fast.


Went past your place in the morning and you weren’t there. Care to explain that too?”

Tina never gave her the chance to lie to her.

It doesn’t matter. You’re going to lie anyway.”

She handed her the newspaper. Georgia had seen it before but pretended as if it was her first time to see it.


When did this happen?” she already knew the answer.

I think last night at around eleven.” That was a lie. It had occurred at around 1 a.m. this morning and was supposed to appear in the Press until tomorrow.


Is that all?” she was looking forward to leaving this office before she does something stupid.

There was nothing besides being told to be serious at her work. She was about to receive one tiresome lecture when she bolted out this really challenging question,


With all due respect, are your sources really that honest or you simply loathing Piet so much that you really can’t stand him. Has it ever occurred to you that he might innocent?”


If Tina had been caught off-guard, she was really good at hiding as she calmly responded,

Has it ever occurred to you that you might be on the unemployment list if you speak to me like that?”


Georgia leaned on her desk and faced her quite boldly,

Off course, that is why this is going to be my last exclusive I ever write on. After this, I’m resigning. I can’t work for a person who is after crucifying innocent people just because they can’t stand them.”


With that, she stormed out leaving a rather shocked Tina staring at the door.





















As if a burden had been lifted of her shoulder, she skipped to her office. No one noticed her as she strolled to her office only to find an intruder.


You guys waste no time at all,” Piet was reading the main story while being cosy on her office chair. Although she was surprised to see him, she was actually glad to see him. She quickly closed the door before shouting in a low voice.


How the hell did you …” she paused as if it was a mistake before continuing

You better go out before Lady Tina sees you …” she was cut short.


If she comes, I happened to be in the neighbourhood and thought that I should pop by and gave my reaction to this ridiculous article.” His gaze never left the newspaper.


By the way, never put sleeping pill in my coffee in the future. What do you really want anyway?” she was now really desperate to get rid of him.


Nothing much besides…”

The door was suddenly wide open and in entered Tina who was mumbling something before stopping on her tracks upon seeing Piet.


Care to explain what the hell he is doing here? Is he the one fooling you into resigning, huh?” she fumed at Georgia. His pretence was really disgusting her.


You resigning, what took you so long?” his focus was still on the paper.


NO! It has nothing to do with him. I don’t even know why he’s here in the first place. Why don’t you ask him?” she was now in foul mood or pretending to be in one.


Both ladies stared at him each with different motives. The other wanted him to disappear while the other wanted to know why he was here in the first place.


Piet simply ignored her and continued reading the newspaper before saying,

What did I ever do to you for you to create such stories about me?”

You’re a filthy criminal. Killed your parents, scotched your friend and now gassing a complete stranger. I may as well add trespassing to the list.” Tina never wasted time.


Express you’re letting this anger towards me blind you from making an objective decision. I was no way near the building at 11p.m. yesterday and I even got the proof”

He paused to take note of any reaction before continuing,

You call me a criminal yet you can’t prove anything. What about you?”


What about me?” he had definitely caught Tina’s attention. He went on,

No one said anything about the death of your husband. If you ask me, I think you killed him so that you could have all the benefits of this firm.” He was bluffing but it was working.

No one said anything when you sent spies on me, Georgia and my lousy lawyer,” he was bluffing again.

No one definitely said anything when you left your first husband in a burning yacht to die as you were cheating on him with some rich b*****d. Damn, you like power and money.”


This one left a mark on both the two ladies. Georgia kept giving a rather rude and eerie stare at Tina expecting her to deny it and she did not disappoint.


Where the hell did you get such stories?”

The same as you got yours about me.” The response was instant. He continued nevertheless,

Anyway that is not why I’m here. I came here to set the records straight. I have never killed anyone in my miserable life so stop this circus. It ain’t worth it…”


GET OUT!” barked Tina from no way.

I’ll if only you tell me why I’m a pain to you? Don’t give me the murder stuff as I don’t buy it.” He was still rooted on Georgia’s chair. Tina retreated in a silent world of her own maybe trying to find the right answer.


Fine,” Piet had lost patience,” anyway your husband and daughter never died in that fire you deliberately caused so that you could live with your lover. No wonder why it never worked out…”

GET OUT NOW!” this time, she was serious and fulminating.


Surprisingly enough, he rose and left the office leaving the two alone. All this time Georgia never said anything and Tina sudden departure left her with more questions than answers.

She picked up the newspaper that Piet had been reading as if to find an answer. On the page that Piet had been reading, was an encircled word. She knew what it meant but was not prepared for it.
























Matt was still in his robe when Piet stopped by at 10 in the morning. This time, he was quite impressed as Piet actually knocked before entering.


Matt’s office was quite a mess but Piet did not seem to mind. He proceeded to tell him what had transpired at the Express Mail although he left out what he really said to Tina.


What’s wrong with you, Piet? She’s a bloody journalist who is after a big story. With the powers you’re giving her, she won’t hesitate to bring you down unless there is something else…” he was probably wasting his energy.


Here,” Piet gave him what resembled a small box but later turned out to be the smallest video camera he had ever seen. Out of the same pocket came a cable that fitted on the camera on one end and on the computer on the other end.


I took the liberty of bugging Lilly’s corridor after Josh’s attack in case something happens to her.” Piet was already plugging in the on the computer without Matt’s consent.

Matt was quite infuriated and didn’t hide it.


You are a piece of s**t. You think it’s funny to bug a flat, fake people’s deaths, and drugging people, break in and …”

On the screen, the three of them (Piet, Matt and Georgia) were entering the corridor. Piet was in front closely followed Georgia while Matt was practically strolling. This had managed to stop his on slot and he instructed,

Can you rewind it to …” he never had to finish as Piet had read his mind and was already rewinding it to the part they desired the most.


On the screen, the time was 0100 and on the corridor was a man who was medium built and tall by Piet’s standards. (More than six feet)

The man kept swerving sideways as if to check for any irregularities. His hood kept them from seeing the perpetrator. He seemed to have a spare key or he was an expert on unlocking doors. It was not clear as he was blocking the view.


After what seemed like ages (five minutes), he emerged this time with the hood removed to his rather long black hair as well as the mushy moustache. The face was not really clear. However, from no way, Piet froze it and zoomed on the man’s neck. A black polo neck jersey covered it except a small smudge. It turned out to be a tattoo of an odd-looking leaf.

Matt had no way to make of it but Piet’s stare and silence said a thousand words.


Oh s**t! It’s you b*****d.” That was Piet.

Say something Piet so that we’re at the same page.” Matt was now really anxious to hear him out.


Go change, we’re going on a trip to end this once and for all.”

Piet’s command was forceful and Matt immediately obeyed taking the video with him.


They set off immediately. Matt tried to get Piet to unveil what was about to occur with no success. He eventually gave up and was surprised when they stopped at the Express Mail.


I’m gonna check her inside, in the meantime try calling her.” Piet handed him a card. Without waiting for any response, he stormed out.













































Tina Express seemed quite busy with her laptop while compiling the papers which were on her desk.

Deep inside she was worried about three things that had nothing to do with the papers on her desk.

First Georgia wanted to resign. She was not the brightest or best of them all but why does she want to resign? Was it because Piet or because of her? She was trying to come up with a way to make her stay for the sake of her mother.

Secondly, why was Piet in Georgia’s office? Are they really working together or there is something else. The very thought of them dating really terrified her even more.

Lastly, it was about the stuff that Piet said. Where did he find that stuff and how? Who is he really? He could really make trouble for her. There was a great need to be deal with him before it was too late.


While in the middle of this session, the telephone went off. The caller really got a rude answer and Tina was in the worst of all moods. Whatever she heard seemed bad as she stormed out of her office.

She steamed towards Georgia’s office oblivious of the stares, din and her employees. She kicked the door and introduced herself to the occupant.


What the hell are you doing here again? You really got some nerves coming here!” by this time, she was already poking her finger in his face.

He simply rubbed it off before surveying the room while asking,

Where’s Georgia?”


Where’s Georgia!?” she stood in akimbo quite high with anger. “You’re asking me that when you literally spend all of her work brainwashing her. You should tell me where she is!”

It was quite obvious Tina was in mood for all talks and neither was Piet.


Listen Mrs Express, you hate me and I don’t why. I don’t like you too because of my own reasons. Right now if we don’t find her, the only place you gonna see her is in a coffin. Trust me on that one. Now are you going to tell me where Georgia is or …” his gaze was shifted onto the newspaper that was on her desk.

The encircled phrase definitely caught his eyes.

NEWMAN’S MADE.

The phrase was part of a sentence

THIS INVENTION SEEMS TO BE A NEWMAN’S MADE TRADE PRODUCT…”


He knew what it meant. All this time when Piet was analysing the newspaper, Tina was busy checking herself out in search of security. An empty office welcomed her and her crew despite the door being locked from outside. Even an impromptu search within the building yielded nothing. It was as if Piet had vanished.

Tina retreated to her office convinced that Piet had vanished. She looked quite cold. She pulled out a drawer and took out a picture frame before bursting into silent tears.


A hand smothered her shoulder as if to comfort before these word s followed,

Why are you crying? Is it the picture or guilt killing you?”

She turned and got another shock. All this time they had been searching for him, it never occurred to them to search in her own office. Piet was behind her really calm.


How did you get in here? I’m now calling the cops.” She rushed to pick up the phone and surprisingly Piet did not stop her but instead said,

Go ahead. You will have a lot to explain to cops too.”

He opened her laptop to reveal the same video that Matt and he had been watching earlier.


He went on,

As you can see your man came in at around 1a.m. not 11p.m. which your paper stated. Apparently, he tried to kill my sister. If I as well as Georgia and my lousy lawyer and I had not arrived, she would have been dead. The funny part is that your lousy paper said she is dead as the blast completely vaporised her.”


She never said anything as she was studying the tape as well as making sense of what he was saying. She burst out,

It’s a fake! Georgia was no way around you …”

Whatever. I don’t really care if you believe me or not or what you are going to do with it. If you’re gonna, ignore the truth so to sell your papers, go ahead. I don’t give a damn. What I really give a damn about is Georgia. If something happens to her because of your lousy hatred towards me I would never forgive you just like I would never forgive you on that cruise incident.”


This time she went cold as she sank deeper into her chair tears now flowing out.

All of a sudden, the door was opened and in emerged an oblivious Mona with her head down on the papers in her hand not aware of the two’s pretence.

Tina hastily removed her tears enough before Mona noticed them. She backed off in surprise and shock. She was speechless and was stuck on the same spot.

It was Piet, who aroused her,

How long has Georgia gone out? Tell me it’s urgent.”

About, about, about an hour ago.” She had no idea but the two together was quite terrifying.

Did she tell you where she was going?” this time it was Tina’s turn.

She just shook her head.

You never saw her going out, did you” it was Piet and Mona shamefully nodded her head.


All of a sudden, she suddenly snapped,

What’s with the third degree? Is she in trouble or in danger?”

No one answered the question as Piet calmly stormed out while Tina was no idea what was happening.




*************



I can’t reach her. Her phone seems busy or something. What was going on in there?” that was Matt’s greeting as soon as Piet got the door.

I was having a friendly chat with Mrs Express and I actually left her crying. I’m bad.”

Matt never believed him but did not say anything.


Matt, can I have your phone?” this came from nowhere. As he passed him his phone, he thought that Piet was going to really struggle. Piet seemed to have this phobia towards phones especially cell phones. He was amused with his nimbleness and the speed at which he was operating it.

He seemed to dial a number before saying to the receiver,

The sun is gonna set where it was made today instantly.”

He hung up before returning it to Matt before starting the car and driving off.


For someone who never had a cell phone in your entire life, you’re quite impressive. Care to explain the riddle you just said as well as to who you were talking to?” He was not really expecting an answer but Piet’s response startled him.

Just because I never had one doesn’t mean I can’t use it. Anyway I don’t know what we are up against really but I think there is room for plan B.”

He did not even wait for any response.

Someone wants to wipe out my family and I ain’t gonna let that happen …”

Matt cut him short,

I have heard that before. What I really want is for you to tell me what is going? By the way where’s Georgia and what’s going to happen to her?”

Piet remained quiet for the duration of the trip.


Each man was locked up in his own universe. The air was quite tense. Piet never admitted to anyone that Georgia had a link with his own family. Only he knew the real link.


Although Piet never told him to where they were going, it never took long before Matt knew where they were headed to. All of a sudden, Piet stopped the car and told Matt to despatch. He declined it making Piet really upset.

Listen Matt, someone got Georgia at Brett’s place. I want to stop this madness once and all. This is a family thing and if he sees you he’ll kill her trust me on that one.”


You seem to know who it is.”

Maybe, call the cops if you haven’t heard from me in 30 minutes.”

Reluctantly and not amused at all, Matt got out while Piet stormed off.



********



Brett was on a trip so the house was supposed to be practically dead. Piet stopped the car a couple of metres from the house. The house seemed dead just the whole area seemed dead. No one was really home at 11 in the morning. The kids had gone to school while their parents had gone to work. Only God knew where the nannies and other people had disappeared off.

He emerged from his car and started strolling around sneaking behind the hedges until he got to Brett’s place.

Georgia’s red car seemed quite evident of her pretence in the house. He spied it for a moment before planning his next move. He knew the house quite well and knew how to get it without arousing any ones. As he crept in the back yard, he never picked up a strong wave of intense air emanating from the attic window.

In no time at all, he was already near the almost faulty window. (It was not really faulty but he knew how to open it from the outside without making a din. This then made it faulty.)

He carefully sneaked in.

The only flaw was that he never picked up an extra set of eyes that were in the room behind the curtain. What he managed to pick was a hard blow on the head that floored him and sent him back to another dimension.










































I bought you some company,” the proprietor of the rather sneer soft voice emerged with an unconscious Piet, half dragging him half lifting him.


He dragged him before dumping in front of Georgia who was really shocked and silent. She wanted to scream and wake him up but the gag in her mouth had a different story. She released a couple of hums. She wanted to run away but she was tied up.


Surprising enough the kidnapper removed Georgia’s gag not the ropes before leaving the room. She was quite scared. Initially she had thought that she was supposed to meet Piet only to be in such a dilemma. Now Piet was practically dead right in front of her. So much for her break through story.


This was the first time she had seen Piet so helpless. She rolled herself to him before shaking him with her feet. The response was never pleasing. She tried calling him lightly before screaming but with no success.

The cracking of the door grabbed her attention.

What did you do to him?” Why are you doing this?” she was now crying. “Why Mr Decoil?”

Khans Decoil remained silent as he emerged with some bottles that only God knew their contents. A smile enlightened his face.


I didn’t do anything besides a little slap on his head. He should learn to use the door next time. Don’t worry about him. He gonna snap out of it in a couple of seconds.”

He spied on him as if to be really certain.


I never knew the real connection between Ian or rather Piet and you. He is not the kind of person who is driven by lust or the fairy tale love. To be frank with you, he hates you more than he hates Mrs Express, which does not make sense.

It took a while before it clicked to me. You are so much like your father in so many ways. Pity he sold his soul to this devil and never got the chance to see you.”


Khans retorted deliberately awaiting Georgia’s reaction that was quite swift.

Sold his soul to the devil? He passed away about 23 years ago and stop messing with the dead!” she was still crying.


Are you really sure he’s dead because he saw him a couple of weeks ago looking very much alive,” he retorted smiling before continuing,

He never told you. I’m not surprised. Since he messed up your pa, he was going to finish his job on you too.”


You’re lying! Piet is a good person who just got framed by you for no reason at all!” she was now trying desperately to be on Piet’s side although clouds of doubts were already shadowing her mind.

Why are you doing this? Why tie me up?”

He remained quiet and leaned against the wall.


Once upon a time they were two merchants who were really like brothers. The other one got greedy and wanted the other one to be eliminated. However, it backfired and it ended drowning him instead and his little family. Soon it was payback time as he needed to eliminate everything that reminded him of that man.”


Georgia was not amused at all, as she asked,

How does that have to do with me?”


It doesn’t.”

Both Georgia and Khans were caught off guard and turned their focus to Piet who was still ‘asleep’. Momentarily Piet rolled over slowly and dragged himself towards the wall. He displayed visible sights of pain and weakness.


It doesn’t.” this time it was quite obvious that it was him.

Thought you’d never wake up.” Khans was still against the wall before pacing the room,


I must admit. You are good, better than your pa. It took me nearly a decade to find you. I then thought this town’s judiciary was gonna deal with you but I underestimated you. The cops, jury, friends and this freaking town seemed to be useless when it came to you. Therefore, I thought what better way to get you than through your family but still you were good. Faked your brother’s death when I had thought I had dealt with him.

This time there is no way out soon it will be your mother.”


Are you done?” Piet was now blowing cold although quite weak. Surprising enough Khans never tied him up. He never waited for a response.

I’m impressed too Mr Khans especially with your flaws and errors…” a thunderous blow stopped him on his tracks. It seemed quite hard but Piet just shook it off blowing blood off his now bloody nose.


He went on nevertheless.

Like I was saying you tricked my mom into an affair and I guess it worked. My parents and the family were broken. You didn’t stop there.”

He wiped blood off his nose.

All along I had no idea who it was as my dad was numb about it. My mom doesn’t know whether I’m still alive. When I came to this town, you were the one who seemed to know me. You even said that you were good friend with Mr Triad but apparently, he didn’t know you. You even gave me a hint.

When you started stalking me, I had a clue with your odd maple leaf but I had to be sure. When I saw the tattoo on your neck of the maple leaf, I knew that it was you without a doubt.”


Khans was silent all this time before just nodding,

I’m impressed. Your pa messed up my life, my family, money and business.”

Someone had to. It was never about the money. It was about a girl. You wanted her so bad that you became obsessed with being the boss. You ran yourself down with my dad’s aid. My dad was a quite something else and wiped your business off your nose. He used the girl well.

You got your revenge and broke mine. You won her back but it was not enough but you were dumped again. It’s a long story but in the end, you were left lonely, broke and miserable.


The only mistake you made was not killing anyone in the cruise disaster.”


Khans nodded in admiration before bellowing,

I did and the only person left in your family is your mother and your whole clan would be wiped out.” He was right in his face and Piet responded by spitting him.


That’s it!” Khans furiously wiped off the mixture of mucus and blood on his face.

You’re gonna die right now!” he produced a pistol and aimed at Piet’s temple before redirecting it to Georgia.


I know I will kill her and make sure you rot in jail this time.”


Not if I can help it.” All eyes turned towards the door and there stood Matt holding his phone. Matt went in unarmed but confident.

I took the liberty of recording this conversation. If you mind, you can continue as if I’m not there.”


I might have to start with you then,” the gun was now aimed at Matt.


You better start with me then.’ Another voice echoed from the door. All eyes except Matt and Piet’s were now hacked towards the door.

At first, the owner seemed quite shy before he stepped in with a pistol aimed at Khans. Georgia almost fainted while Khans turned pale.

That’s impossible. You are supposed to be dead. I killed you and scotched …” he was shaking his head in disbelief without losing his aim at Matt.

Piet rose and walked towards his brother Joshua Dale.

That was the mistake you made. You never killed him but left him to die. I didn’t think you’re that dull. You never killed the Triads or Lilly. They are okay. I had to go with the flow so that you could resurface again. Your vehicle numbers were not smart too as well as your anonymous tips to the Express Mail. Unlike you I always keep track of my family and you were never going near my mother.”


Khans was still in disbelief and literally crazy.

The police confirmed it even the Express Mail. How …”

They did,” Piet was now having fun, “they confirmed it. Haven’t you heard of drugs that can shortly stop the heart enough to fool you people? I think you know that.”


Piet was quite aware of the gun that was aimed at Matt. As quickly as possible the gun’s focus turned towards Georgia.


Khans roughly seized the bonded Georgia and aimed the gun at her temple.

You’re telling me you spent time in court for some show.” He was loaded with fury.

She’s gonna die now.”


BANGGGGG.

A shot had been fired.


Someone had fired a shot and all eyes were on each other.

















































It became clear when Khans loosened his grip on the gun and on Georgia. He danced a little before slamming onto the ground.

Joshua was still pointing the gun towards Khans as comments flew in,

What just happened?”

You killed him!”

Aargh!”

Can someone please untie me?”


He just replied, “I never did and I never …”


I did,” another voice echoed from the door with the gun. In entered Doctor Taylor. Everyone except Piet was shocked to see him there. He went on,

I was never gonna let him kill my daughter.”


Georgia was really shocked and so was Matt. Piet untied her, as she was still shocked,

But my father died when I was …” she stopped herself.


Taylor looked at Piet who was really silent all this time.

This guy here used me when he wanted someone to cover his brother’s fake death. At that time, I was not aware that he was the son of my lousy big brother whom I last saw 20 years ago. I had no idea until him, Piet, came and told me himself three years ago and promised to look for her.”


Everyone looked at Piet as if he was the real bad person here. For a moment, everyone forgot about the dead Khans on the floor.

The distant police serine enlightened them of the real situation at hand.

What about the body?” it was Joshua who bought it up.

There was no answer from any of them.

You should have thought of that Doc before you started firing at people.” It was Matt.


And see my gal for the first time get shot in the process. That was never gonna happen.” Taylor defended himself.

Can you two folks stop arguing? The cops are on their way and you might go jail.” It was Josh.


All this time Piet was quiet really thinking of a way forward while Georgia could not believe what she had just heard.

The other three were already in a row that was only stopped by Piet.

I got a plan and I wanted all of you to really do as I say.”


I hope it’s not one that involves all of us because I’m kinda sick of them.”

It was Josh who was the vocal one supported by Taylor.


Shut up and listen! It only involves me.” He went on to tell them of his plan with astonished faces.



********

THREE MONTHS LATER


So this was your plan? That you shot him when he wanted to kill me. I should have seen it coming.” Georgia sat on one end of a rather long table. They were in a small room and there was a policeman on the door. On the other side of the table was Piet clad in orange overalls with his hands and feet chained up.


Why Piet? I mean you could have disappeared and gone to Zimbabwe to join your family.”


I’m tired of being on my feet and afraid of what this town was gonna do to me. It’s just five years before it all begins again. Besides there is something I really need to take care here in this prison.” He was still looking down.


I’m gonna try to talk to the DA and …”

Don’t. Just tell me whether you forgive me for making you live without your dad.” He looked Georgia.

I don’t know but you had a reason and besides Tina Express is really cool and even gave me a raise for my story. You should have let me write the real version instead that one you gave.”


I didn’t want them to find out about my brother as well as what was really going on. Some things are better left unsaid.” He broke into silence and looked on the ground.


What you did was really bad but it’s in the past and you are really being punished for that. So you’re forgiven.” She was not really sure whether she meant it but she felt this something towards him.

She felt sorry for him and nearly let a tear down. When she looked at Piet, she was surprised to see him smiling,

Don’t worry I will be out in four years. Trust me on that one.”


The policeman came and told that it was time up. He stood up and smiled at her before facing his fate.
















Boozy smell filled the her up as Tina was in still in her office when it was nearly 7p.m doing nothing besides drinking alone. No one in the firm knew that she drunk when really stressed. She was now officially stressed.


Although she had her wish and Piet was in prison, she still felt no peace at all.

She picked her and commanded on the phone,

He knows all that stuff and I don’t know how he knew.”


What do you want me to do?” the receiver asked but the answer was obvious.


Make sure that he never lasts the five years he had been sentenced to or else I’m doomed.” she hung up the phone and went home.








© 2013 tatenda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This is a really good story. Just needs a bit of a touch up in grammar and it will shine brightly. Very good mystery story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 12, 2013
Last Updated on April 12, 2013

Author

tatenda
tatenda

Gweru, Midlands, Zimbabwe



Writing
Smitha, Chapter 2 Smitha, Chapter 2

A Chapter by tatenda


Smitha part 3 Smitha part 3

A Chapter by tatenda


Smitha Smitha

A Book by tatenda