THE FAMILY.

THE FAMILY.

A Story by john Robinson
"

Just what is a family?

"




Family. As much as I would hate to admit it. The word really hasn't meant much to me since I was sixteen. I left my family when I joined the military and went to Germany. Literally. I was now over ten thousand miles away, and a bit down the road got ripped off and lost contact with my mom. I was twenty-one. I'm now about to turn sixty, and sometimes I regret not having a family. My mother was 43 when she had me, so everyone has pretty much passed on. I was the only son and never procreated.


I regret not really having a support system. Society tells you that having a support system of friends or family, assist in the growth of a person's emotional stability. People are successful because they have someone to fall back on. Family is such a big word when you think of it. It could be a family of friends, co-workers, teammates, and of course relatives. A family gives us a feeling of being whole. Someone is always there. There is always someone to rely on, that may rely on you.


Often we take the family for granted because we are under the opinion that everyone has a family of some sort. Yet, there are people who die alone. People that have no one to rely on. No one to fall back on. No support system. It's just them. Sure they may have a few friends, but there's no real connection. They don't see one another much. They don't really rely on one another. They see each other once in a blue moon.


Life gets in the way of friendship. There's no one to blame, that's just the way life goes. Their concept of family differs from the norm. These folks may have pets of some sort. This for them is the only family they may know. When I sometimes watch these family orientated sitcoms on television. I have mixed emotions, but usually, I feel envy. Relatives, siblings, spouses, seem to be an important part of life. I never really understood that when I was a kid.


I can't remember our family really being intact. There was a different essence, I was the youngest in a family of older relatives with kids older than me. Only my niece,(Who was older than me), had kids just a couple of years younger than myself. They were my grand nieces. yet it was indeed family. It can sometimes be a complicated phenomenon. Some families have a very loving and supportive relationship. While others have constant infighting. Even others may disown one another. Some people feel that there are certain obligations, rules, and expectations that are part of being a family member.


Family can be helpful, and it can also be a burden. Family for many is the foundation of life. Many ethnicities see family as the most valuable part of existence. There are tribes that are one big family. In some, incest is a normal part of life. Family members of tribes feel that no one outside of the tribe can be trusted. Family dynamic varies from religion or ethnic group. Traditions are put in place to keep the family long lasting. The name must live on. The females must mate. The family tree must grow. My tree is dead, but there is history there. I think.


Nowadays it takes on an even more diverse look with the element of same-sex couples. Yet still, the family is family, and you hear quite often when someone is mentioning family, that nothing is more important. I guess for me that aspect of family is what I envy the most. How whether in good times or bad, the family remains solid and supportive of one another...

© 2018 john Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Family for many is the foundation of life." So true, but unfortunately, there are many people like yourself, who live alone, who are alone in this life. That to me is tragic. When I moved here from the east coast, I lost many friends and the closeness we had. Although we keep in touch through social media, its just not the same. Pets can be such a filler for that void. I have three cats who are very much like children to me. They respond to my voice and depend upon me to take care of them. Isn't that what we all need? Someone who gets excited when we walk in the door at the end of the day? I have a family of friends here who are quite dear to me, and I take that very seriously. Would love to share a friendship with you!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

john Robinson

5 Years Ago

Hope you received my response
john Robinson

5 Years Ago

Thanks Kelly. From my three cats and me
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

You are most welcomed, John.



Reviews

"Family for many is the foundation of life." So true, but unfortunately, there are many people like yourself, who live alone, who are alone in this life. That to me is tragic. When I moved here from the east coast, I lost many friends and the closeness we had. Although we keep in touch through social media, its just not the same. Pets can be such a filler for that void. I have three cats who are very much like children to me. They respond to my voice and depend upon me to take care of them. Isn't that what we all need? Someone who gets excited when we walk in the door at the end of the day? I have a family of friends here who are quite dear to me, and I take that very seriously. Would love to share a friendship with you!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

john Robinson

5 Years Ago

Hope you received my response
john Robinson

5 Years Ago

Thanks Kelly. From my three cats and me
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

You are most welcomed, John.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Added on October 17, 2018
Last Updated on October 19, 2018
Tags: family, friends, tribe, tradition, religion, same sex couples, kids, marriage, men, women, children, love, hate.

Author

john Robinson
john Robinson

Jamaica, NY



About
I like being me,but I despise my life. It's the old saying,"if it weren't for bad luck,I would have no luck at all". Then again I did spend twenty one years in Germany after I left the army. I did tou.. more..

Writing