Are You Happy Now?

Are You Happy Now?

A Story by Anonymous Me
"

My biggest fear is of being too late.

"

            There is a chain wrapped around my waist and someone is holding onto it, pulling me back and away from him. At first it is just a tiny tug on my heart, but the grip tightens into a sickening clench. This thing forces me to my knees and I smell rose petals and bloodshed. I can hear him calling to me, pleading with me to come back and I’m trying so, so, hard to get there. I grow dizzy as I try to escape this strong, mysterious, entity. From the direction of his voice flows a slow, thin river of dark red blood and his words grow fainter and raspier. I try harder and harder, feeling the chain that’s tied around me digging into my stomach. I can almost hear it tearing into my flesh, but nothing is more relevant to me than the quieting sound of him.

            Finally, I can see him. So far away and still so much closer than before. I smile at him, as wide as I possibly can. He tries to be strong and smile, too, but his eyes are drawn to the painful wound in my abdomen. Slowly, he rises and staggers toward me, his hand clutching a wound on his chest and blood seeping through the spaces between his fingers. The spaces where my own fingers belong. I tell him to stay where he is. That I’ll make it to him in time, though I know that there could never be enough of it.

            There is no way that both of us will make it out alive.

He falls to his knees beside me, and caresses my face with the last bit of strength his body harbors. His lips meet mine and it’s like my first taste of fresh water. It’s like coming home, and finally being right. He then lays his head in my lap, and I tell him stories about a future I know we could never have. That thing tugs on the chain and tries to pull me away from him, but nothing in the world has enough power to do so.

Especially not now.

            He raises a hand to touch my face, and I force a smile into this goodbye. He gives me a small, half smile, because that’s all he has left. His hand finds mine, and he fits our fingers together.

For one second, everything is as it should be.

For one second, everything is right.

Everything is perfect.

 And then his eyes slide closed, and that one second is finished. His chest lies still, and finally contented, the chain that had tried to keep me away goes lax. 

© 2012 Anonymous Me


Author's Note

Anonymous Me
it's a lil raw. sry

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. It is raw and passonite. Makes you think, huh?

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is very sad.
It is well written , but death is
sad and the death of one you
love is perhaps the most terrible
experience of life.
Thank you ,
----- John

Posted 12 Years Ago


it sounds more like scene than a whole story. but love the expressions, alright.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2012
Last Updated on April 3, 2012
Tags: heartbreak, sadness, depression, restraint, love, loss, death

Author

Anonymous Me
Anonymous Me

About
i have a lot of things to write here but none that I feel that you really need to know. I guess i can tell you that i love to write. It's the only time when i am truly forthcoming. I've been told that.. more..

Writing