My Shadow

My Shadow

A Story by tcd123
"

A very short story about what my brother means to me in my life.

"

When most people think of a shadow, they think of a dark and gloomy mirror image of an object, a lifeless thing that follows them wherever they go. My shadow, however, is different. I’m not talking about the actual darkened figure attached to my feet in the sunlight; everyone has those. I am instead referring to my real human shadow, which goes by the name of Nick and is full of life. Ironically enough, he does not block any rays of illumination in my life; he only makes them brighter.  Ever since the day he was born and I held him in the hospital bed, that shadow became the one entity that my world will always revolve around. From the first day he started to walk, wherever I was, there would be little Nick stumbling over his tiny feet making sure he was right behind me. It was like a never-ending game of Simon says. I raised my hand and he raised his; I was hungry and all of a sudden he was, too. Even if I had other childhood friends, I didn’t need them; I had all I would ever need sleeping in his room right across the hall. Even though he looked like the copycat, he was the one teaching me every single day. Nick was the one who taught me to work hard to get what I want and to never give up until I do. Nick was the one who taught me how to be patient, even though that may just be because he’s a little on the slow side when it comes to going anywhere. He taught me to be competitive, but also to be respectful. I’m not only lucky enough to have a shadow, a real-life breathing shadow, but I also have the advantage to live in the comfort of having a true best friend forever. If it weren’t for that little boy born on December 20th, 1996, I can’t even imagine a childhood, because it was absolutely nothing without him. He is the reason I am loyal, and the reason I can always see the good in things. He has helped me learn how to love, forgive, and laugh like no one else ever could have. Nick has shown me the true meaning of friendship. Every day I wake up with a strong heart and the determination to perform beyond my best in no matter what I do, because I know I’ll always have my shadow at my heels, watching my every move. From going to the zoo to playing with bubbles in the backyard in our diapers, he was always there, and always will be. Most importantly, my shadow’s existence, the alive and beautiful soul that continues to follow and teach me, is the absolute reason I am every part of what I am today.

© 2013 tcd123


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
Added on May 6, 2013
Last Updated on May 6, 2013
Tags: siblings, best friends, friendship, love