chapter two

chapter two

A Chapter by Tehmee's~word

This is where i belong I thought when I walked into the room row after row of neatly lined up books with their spines facing outward, colour coded with dots, The biography section arranged in alphabetical order, young adults section, fiction and nonfiction section and many more, with low shelves and floor cushions, comfortable leather arm chairs, tables for quiet study.
I sat back and let the happiness soak right into my bones, when i saw books from some of my favorite authors, Authors like Chimamanda Adiche and Chinua Achebe, predecessors of modern literature in my country. I just knew right then that i would want to stay here forever, basking in their knowledge. For the first time in forever my body and mind felt completely relaxed.
Picking up a book from the shelf in front of me, i wondered why the room was empty; a place as wonderful as this should never be left desolate. I sunk into a nearby arm cushion and started reading
Engrossed in the book i was reading, i didn't hear the wooden door creak open, Or the light footstep walking towards me.
"What the hell are you doing here! " A loud masculine voice yelled. The book that was once in my hands dropped to the floor in a loud thud, I jumped up startled, i hadn't been doing anything wrong but i felt like i have caught red-handed in a safe I was stealing from.
He looked young, about my age but a little older; he looked like he should be in his early twenties but there was a seriousness about him that unnerved me.
He still maintained that stern look, his eyes glaring at me.
'I-I'm sorry, I just finished with classes and i was walking about, and i saw this place I thought it was a library or something, sorry to intrude.
I kept the book back in the shelf, ready to bolt at any time.
'It's ok, you can continue reading, forgive my manners, we usually get students come in here to steal books or hang out, that's why i sounded harsh".
I looked up at him, his composure had completely changed, the narrow lips that had been pressed together in a thin line had a smile tugging at the corners and his eyes which had been glaring at me once had a softened friendly look in them.
"this room belongs to the literary book club, sorry our tag fell off, that's why you did not know, if you want you could join the club, we just have five members"
"Are you kidding me! Yes! of course I'll join! ' i said quickly, but maybe too quickly i thought after wards
He chuckled softly, welcome to the club miss he said looking at me encouragingly to complete the sentence for him
" Oh the name is Annie"
"OK Annie, I'm Tayo, I'm your new president"














© 2017 Tehmee's~word


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Intriguing. The first paragraph needs a bit of tweaking - there seems to be a lack of main verbs and conjunctions to properly tie the thoughts together. Also, as a general note, careful with these kinds of repetitions (because they really undermine the essence and integrity of the writing/story): "I sunk into a nearby arm cushion and started READING. Engrossed in the book i was READING". That second line could simply read "engrossed in the book" and continue on from there, for we already know that she is reading. When you write a sentence, ask yourself first whether the reader would already be aware of a certain aspect. If so, it need not be repeated....simply say what minimum needed for the picture, and carry on with the rest of the thread. With Tayo's character, he says uses the phrase "which is why....." twice in this vignette. If that's a character trait, then awesome, but if that's just exposition, take it out, because it's poor writing (but if a character has a tendency to use such a phrase, it's passable, but they must use it at every possible moment). Careful also with your comma uses, for some of them could be periods or even dashes. Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 31, 2017
Last Updated on October 31, 2017
Tags: romance, thriller, fiction


Author

Tehmee's~word
Tehmee's~word

Fct, Abuja, Nigeria



About
Aspiring writer Book and food lover 💏 Comments and criticism would be appreciated Follow my writing blog @tehmeesword.wordpress. com Thank you🙌👍👌💖😍 more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by Tehmee's~word


Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Tehmee's~word