An End to Never Forget

An End to Never Forget

A Chapter by Tessa Melendez

    Dakota stumbled into the dark forest, eyes wide her hands clutching the deep wound in her side.  The debris from the war being fought behind her had drifted into the leaves above her and settled on the ground around her.  The wind teased at her chocolate-colored hair, making it drift around her pale face.  She could still smell the metallic scent of blood on the air as well as the smoky scent of demons that had been sent back to Hell.  Dakota heard the abnormally high-pitched shrieks of demons in battle and the pained screams of Nephilim, angels, and the Hybrids as they fought for the Aerie.  But, she could no longer stand to fight when there was such unbelievable horror around her. 

    The demons were a horror in just the sight of them.  The disgusting burns and sores from their time in Hell, their fangs, horns and claws.  Some had barely sustained fur to cover their leathery skin.  But, the horror didn't end there.  Her mind was still haunted by the merciless fighting from both sides in this war.  The demons tore at the Nephilim with such anger; tearing away their precious wings like paper from a notebook, slicing at them with no regard as to where their fangs or claws landed, as long as Nephilim blood soaked the ground.The Nephilim and angels were hardly better, swinging swords and spears of divine fire at the beasts' limbs and necks, aiming to disable and kill, praying for the demons' return to Eternal Damnation.  But, unlike Dakota, the Nephilim and angels had skill in fighting and they didn't care much about the gore as they fought.  All that mattered to them was the winning of the war and the safety of Aerie and its residents.  I should've listened to Noah, Dakota thought as she stumbled through the dark forest, her emerald eyes wide and watching for demons.  I should've stayed in Aerie and waited the war out.  But, it was too late now.  The warlock's blade had bitten deep into her side and since then, she'd worked to get away.  She knew someone had taken the warlock on in her place to save her.  She briefly wondered if it had been Noah, watching her back as promised.  The distraction of her killer did her little good, however.  She was far beyond help now.  Looking down at her thin, pale hand, she nearly fainted at the sight of how much blood stained it like paint.  Even more soaked her shirt.  She went back to pressing on the wound, praying for the blood to stop.  She knew it wouldn't.  The sword had gone deep.  The second it went in, she knew she was doomed.  The memory of that deadly moment plagued her mind again.  

    She'd swung her own blade at the warlock, aiming for his neck, but he dodged, weaving back in, his blood red reptilian eyes slipping back into view.  He grinned, showing fang-like teeth as he swung, his black blade glinting and piercing her side...

    Dakota felt the fiery pain shoot through her again.  She remembered the pain so clearly her knees buckled and she reached for the nearest tree.  Her hand scraped against the ragged bark, her blood staining the once-brown bark a dark red.  Dakota slid to the ground and lay in the soft dirt and leaves, watching the sky turn lighter purple and then red as the sun began to rise, signaling the possible end to the war.  Demons can't fight in daylight.  Dakota knew that.  Any remaining demons would burn to death in the sunlight.  She smiled at the thought.  She wondered how well Aerie's side had done against the plague of demons.  She prayed they'd won, especially since the fallen had called in some help from their divine brothers.


    The angel could smell the dying girl above all the scents of the war.  The scent of death always rose above blood and fire, sometimes even magic.  But, he knew the scent of death from miles away.  She wasn't far from Aerie.  Maybe a mile.  He flapped his powerful black wings hard, to go faster and her scent grew stronger.  She was close.  The wind whipped his dark hair and he circled lower.  He dove down into the thick growth of the trees and landed in a small clearing.  The girl was nearby, lying just outside of the clearing, her head against the trunk of a tree.  Blood stained the grass beside her from a nasty wound in her side.  Her face had dry blood and bruises marring it too.  Her gazed down at her as she stared distantly up at the sky.  Her clothes were torn and bloodied from other cuts and wounds, dusted with dirt.  He sensed her nearness to death and knew he couldn't save her.  She merely needed to take one last step....  And just like that, the light in her eyes was gone, her last breath taken.  


    The Angel of Death rested his hand on her chest, over her heart and muttered the words to send her soul to the Lord, where she belonged. He fixed his multi-color eyes on the sky and watched the misty form of her soul fly into the rising sun, sighing sadly.  Another young life taken .  The girl couldn't have been more than sixteen years old.  She had been human.  He had no idea why she had taken part in his world or why she had taken part in this war but, it was too late.  Her chance at life had been snatched away. 

    The angel scooped her up in his arms, spread his enormous wings and flew away, taking her back to Aerie for the Nephilim and fallen to say their good-byes and give her the honorable burial they gave their Nephilim.  She deserved no better for her bravery.  She may have no divine blood in her , but she must've done fought like it to have lasted this long in the life of a Nephilim. 



© 2016 Tessa Melendez


Author's Note

Tessa Melendez
A possible ending to my story.... I don't know. Reviews welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on December 21, 2015
Last Updated on June 10, 2016


Author

Tessa Melendez
Tessa Melendez

Wilmington, DE



About
I am 20 years old and have been writing since I was 12 years old. I started as a story-writer, I'm more of a poet now. My stories have kinda fallen off and the poetry comes more easily now, more as a .. more..

Writing